What are you eating on Canada Day (July 1st)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jabbur said:
I had started the crock pot with chicken chunks and Russian dressing and a can of crushed pineapple. It makes a delish sauce to pour over rice. That was going to be supper. Then the girlfriend texts me. It's her mom's birthday and they are going to a new BBQ place in town called Smoke and invited us to come too. So I'll let the crock pot finish cooking and set the crock in the fridge. I'll have tomorrow's supper ready and will just need to warm it up and cook the rice.

This sounds delish! When I get a new crockpot I will try this!

Lasagna.

Yeah, I know, I know. We have A/C. DH had bought some fresh moz, and we needed to use it up. The tomatoes here are not yet tasty enough for caprese.

Last edited:
Happy Canada Day to all who care.

I'm experimenting on marinating some shrimp with Asian stuff and stir-frying it. Jasmine rice will accompany.

We stopped at a place for lunch today and had a plate of poutine! :yum:
+1:LOL:

I take it you and the wife are visiting outside of Toronto--or else you must share the name of the place in the Cities that offers this delicacy. When you retire, you can open a chip stand in MN and offer poutine!

Change of plans: Potatoes were not good anymore, and I forgot I had some cooked Italian sausage in the freezer, and had fresh veggies to use up before we leave on vacation, so we're having a pasta/sausage/veggie stir-fry sort of thing with Italian seasoning and lots of garlic, to be served with garlic bread.

We had Glenn's birthday meal today. Yesterday was cards, presents, guests and cake.

Since he likes beast (beef) we bought a gorgeous sirloin steak at the butcher's on Monday. Had them cut it 1 1/2-inch thick. It weighed in at an ounce over 3 pounds and was the epitome of beefy loveliness.

With the perfectly-grilled steak, we had sauteed onions and mushrooms, baked potatoes and some tasty Cabernet to wash it down. We finished with very thin slices of birthday cake. We didn't even have any room for ice cream on the cake.

Stirling has volunteered to make tacos.

Happy Canada Day to those who celebrate it.

I chopped the onions (they don't make me cry) and julienned the lettuce. The tacos were yummy. We had them with Heineken and akvavit (I'm Danish, what did you expect?). I won't be driving anywhere for the next few hours. :ohmy: Hic!

taxlady said:
I chopped the onions (they don't make me cry) and julienned the lettuce. The tacos were yummy. We had them with Heineken and akvavit (I'm Danish, what did you expect?). I won't be driving anywhere for the next few hours. :ohmy: Hic!

Tacos.....yum! Alcoholic beverages yum ! :)

Well, we ended up getting a Canada Day present....the flu :sick:

we have been drinking tea and broth and that's about it. Sure glad I didn't plan any meal today!

LPBeier said:

we have been drinking tea and broth and that's about it. Sure glad I didn't plan any meal today!

Yuck! Feel better soon, LP!

LPBeier said:

That's lousy LP. Sorry you aren't feeling well. Hope it's just a 24 hr thing. Speedy recovery wishes!

hope you feel better soon, lp.

happy 30th birthday, canada!!!!

oh wait, did i blow it? are we still saying 29? well, happy 29th, again, for the first time. :D

we had a nice day in the poconos. did a little shopping, bought fireworks, then went to dinner at our favourite bbq joint, big daddy's bbq: Family BBQ | Big Daddy's Family BBQ

the food and service were outstanding. we started with salads with blue cheese dressing, then shared a good (but a little salty) french onion soup. for entrees, dw had the bbq half chicken, my boy had a half rack of baby backs, and i had the baby back/smoked turkey breast combo. all plates came with chunky bacon bbq backed beans, cole slaw, and a piece of corn bread.

looking forward to the leftovers and extra cornbread tomorrow. :pig:

Hope it's not too late to wish everyone a Happy Canada Day!

Today was DxW's birthday. We had a dozen or so friends and family over to help her celebrate. Back yard picnic under the shade trees with burgers on the grill, baked beans ( I made them stove top style, not wanting to heat the oven), 2 Blue berry pies, ( Ok, I did bake them yesterday, BUT THAT IS Mandatory and therefore Morally OK to heat the Oven to bake. DxW made a terrific potato salad and we had platters of veggies and finger foods too. She had a great birthday which is the Best Part of the Day.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom