What are you eating on Canada Day (July 1st)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
Okay, you may not be celebrating today, but you gotta eat! :rolleyes:

We were supposed to be camping this weekend with family but it didn't work out and then we invited those that weren't going for dinner today but I had a full blown asthma attack last night so that isn't happening either!

DH said he is handling meals so I am interested to see what we are having! ;)

What about you?

We are at MIL's for a BBQ today. She's making BBQ pork ribs, potato salad, baked sweet potato fries and chips and guacamole. I brought peach pie for dessert.

I am supposed to be going out for a BBQ tonight. Its raining pretty steadily at the moment. I suspect we will not be going. I have enough potato salad, killer coleslaw and other party leftovers to make a pretty fine meal. All I need to do is come up with a main dish. I'm thinking wild west salmon will work with all my extras.

I am supposed to be going out for a BBQ tonight. Its raining pretty steadily at the moment. I suspect we will not be going. I have enough potato salad, killer coleslaw and other party leftovers to make a pretty fine meal. All I need to do is come up with a main dish. I'm thinking wild west salmon will work with all my extras.

Happy Canada Day Alix!:flowers:
We have no rain at the moment, but no sun either :(

Happy Canada Day Alix!:flowers:
We have no rain at the moment, but no sun either :(

We had all your sun AND ours yesterday! It was so gorgeous! Now we're getting a lovely soaking and you can hear all the plants sigh with relief.

Happy Canada Day to you! (Hey, how long did it take you to stop calling it Dominion Day? Took me YEARS.)

We had all your sun AND ours yesterday! It was so gorgeous! Now we're getting a lovely soaking and you can hear all the plants sigh with relief.

Happy Canada Day to you! (Hey, how long did it take you to stop calling it Dominion Day? Took me YEARS.)
Okay, then you can have some of our rain ;):LOL:

Oh, I still sometimes slip on that one. A friend sent me this in an email today. Big memories!

Bobby Gimby's Canada Song - YouTube

It's hot here in the Nation's capital--so, tonight is:

Pea Pod Soup a la Romana

Only, I've switched it up a bit--I didn't have mint here (it is at the farm) so I used fennel and Italian parsley. And, made it into a cold soup by adding 1 c buttermilk after it cooled and the juice of 1/2 lemon, garnished with parsley and green onion tops. Oh, and lemon zest. I "wanded" it before I put it in the fridge, garnishes are ready. It is actually quite nice as a beverage--will serve it in a bowl inside of a bowl filled with ice.

Tossed salad with lettuce, green onions, baby beets, lovage, mushrooms, toasted pecans, EVOO and Champagne vinegar, S&P

Grilled pork chops (I don't do anything fancy--I like the taste of the meat, so just S&P)

Steamed Kale

Strawberry and pepper ice cream with white chips and salted peanuts.

Keith's Apple Cider on the Rocks.

Last edited:
Plans have been changing for days now. I had to play last night, I ended up helping a friend in his smoke shack yesterday because one of his his employees quit and the other one had the weekend off and couldn't be reached. He gave me a couple of rib eyes and lobster tails for helping him out, but I already had ribs which had been sitting in rub in the fridge for two days now(That's another story) So, to make a long story longer, I had to eat the tails today because I am going to a dinner tonight. I made lobster rolls for lunch. Tonight will be the ribs....

Another part of this story is still developing. I have some bad cold symptoms coming on and they seem to be getting worse. I may spend Canada Day on the couch watching Netflix...

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 212
Bummer, Rock. Hope you feel better soon!

Lobster rolls, sigh. They look wonderful!

Rock Lobster,

Speedy Recovery ... Relax ... Have some hot herbal infusion with a bit of Grandpa´s brew ! or a good chicken soup ! It works !

Feel better and Happy 4th.
Margi.

Nice lobster rolls, Rock! Wish I had friends like that!

Thanks. They were yummy, for sure. It's not everyday I can make them. I can afford it. Especially from tails. They had been previously frozen and thawed so I didn't want them to sit until tomorrow. I am by myself today and my girlfriend isn't a fan.

And, yes. He is a good guy. He sells meat and fish out of his deli. I stood infront of deep fryers and a char grill in a 100 degree shack for 5 hours.

Stirling has volunteered to make tacos.

Happy Canada Day to those who celebrate it.

Last edited:
I had started the crock pot with chicken chunks and Russian dressing and a can of crushed pineapple. It makes a delish sauce to pour over rice. That was going to be supper. Then the girlfriend texts me. It's her mom's birthday and they are going to a new BBQ place in town called Smoke and invited us to come too. So I'll let the crock pot finish cooking and set the crock in the fridge. I'll have tomorrow's supper ready and will just need to warm it up and cook the rice.

Happy Canada Day dear neighbors, friends and relatives. We are grilling some New York steaks and I think maybe I will make a pasta salad. Possibly homemade ice cream for dessert :)

Back
Top Bottom