What are you eating Saturday 7/14/2018?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG, my first experience with grouper was wonderful. When the plate arrived, the filet looked a little small, but it was just right. It has a mild flavor, but is "meaty" enough to be filling. I finished my meal feeling satisfied, but not "stuffed." I like that. My favorite fish is Red Snapper, also from the Gulf, but I am now also a "grouper groupie," LOL

CD

Sri lankan Black pork curry, naan, veggie curry, Black chicken ( it is chicken smothered in black curry powder and baked), rice and cucumber raita.

And chocolate hot pots for dessert.

My Florida "fishing trip" was successful. I had Oysters Rockefeller (very old school) and grilled fresh grouper. Both were excellent. Both from the Gulf of Mexico, eaten a mile from the Gulf of Mexico.

It was my first experience with grouper. It was a good experience.

CD
A few decades ago, grouper was briefly available in a fish store near where I lived. Nice thick, sweet filets. In my travels I've had it in restaurants, but it didn't even seem like the same fish, as the filets were much, much smaller, and not as sweet. Sounds like you were able to get the good stuff.

A few decades ago, grouper was briefly available in a fish store near where I lived. Nice thick, sweet filets. In my travels I've had it in restaurants, but it didn't even seem like the same fish, as the filets were much, much smaller, and not as sweet. Sounds like you were able to get the good stuff.

Buying fish these days is tough, whether in a store or at a restaurant. You have to go to a really reliable store or restaurant, or your grouper, snapper, whatever, could be some other fish that is cheaper.

But, I asked if the grouper was fresh and local last night, and was assured that it was. I had no reason to doubt it.

CD

We had grilled chicken thighs seasoned with Penzeys Northwoods, grilled corn and caprese salad. The chicken was amazing - I haven't used this blend before, but it's delicious. Sadly, the corn, bought from the farmers market this morning, was not as good as what we've been getting from Kroger. It was really starchy.
2018-07-15-11-48-16.jpeg

Here's the cake recipe folks. I made some changes from the original one I posted long ago.

Fresh Peach Cake :yum:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 pan
2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
5 medium size fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a large bowl, whisk together the first four ingredients. With a hand mixer, blend in the eggs, sugar and oil. Fold in the sliced peaches and nuts. Pour into the prepared 9x13 pan and bake for 40-45 min.

While the cake is baking make the Vanilla Butter Sauce:

1 stick of real butter (salted)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated canned milk (the small can)
1 tsp. high quality vanilla

Bring all but the vanilla to a boil, and simmer for 3 min. Add the vanilla.

Slowly spoon the sauce all over the only slightly cooled cake.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top.

Here's the cake recipe folks. I made some changes from the original one I posted long ago.

Fresh Peach Cake :yum:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13 pan
2 cup flour
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
3 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
5 medium size fresh peaches, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)

In a large bowl, whisk together the first four ingredients. With a hand mixer, blend in the eggs, sugar and oil. Fold in the sliced peaches and nuts. Pour into the prepared 9x13 pan and bake for 40-45 min.

While the cake is baking make the Vanilla Butter Sauce:

1 stick of real butter (salted)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup evaporated canned milk (the small can)
1 tsp. high quality vanilla

Bring all but the vanilla to a boil, and simmer for 3 min. Add the vanilla.

Slowly spoon the sauce all over the only slightly cooled cake.
Serve with ice cream or whipped cream on top.
Sounds delicious :yum: Remember to post it in the dessert forum so it doesn't get lost.

Our dinner club met last night. I know I've been asked to post photos before, and it seems like I never remember to take them. So last night I made a point of remembering.

I brought a "shrimp-tini" appetizer, paired with French Muscadet wine. For the salad/soup course, our friends Terry and Betty brought a spinach/watermelon/feta salad, served with NZ and domestic Sauvignon Blanc. Paul and Nancy made steelhead trout on the grill with a side of parmesan zoodles, with two different kinds of Oregon Pinot Noir. Larry and Maureen brought dessert: fresh raspberry pie (not pictured) paired with Coffee Infused Port.

It was a beautiful evening, and happily, the mosquitoes (mostly) kept their distance.

1MfTG8h.jpg

Last edited:
Our dinner club met last night. I know I've been asked to post photos before, and it seems like I never remember to take them. So last night I made a point of remembering.

I brought a "shrimp-tini" appetizer, paired with French Muscadet wine. For the salad/soup course, our friends Terry and Betty brought a spinach/watermelon/feta salad, served with NZ and domestic Sauvignon Blanc. Paul and Nancy made steelhead trout on the grill with a side of parmesan zoodles, with two different kinds of Oregon Pinot Noir. Larry and Maureen brought dessert: fresh raspberry pie (not pictured) paired with Coffee Infused Port.

It was a beautiful evening, and happily, the mosquitoes (mostly) kept their distance.

1MfTG8h.jpg
Everything looks fantastic! Thanks for the pictures.

That peach cake sounds delicious, Kayelle.

Steve, delicious sounding dinners and wines. Looks like a good time was had by all.

Looks good, Steve!
I played with the band on a hot deck yesterday so we all went down the street and had Chinese around 10 at night..Four sweaty, thirsty, hungry musicians scarfing down noodles and beer..the poor waitress just dropped the food and ran..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom