What are you eating Sunday 1/13/2019?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stracotto (Italian pot roast) over egg noodles with green beans and roasted red peppers. Herbs from the garden.
0113191529.jpg0113191537a.jpg0113191951c.jpg

I had another home made spaghetti meat sauce, two dinners in a row. I don't think I'll ever buy Stouffer's frozen Spaghetti and Meat sauce again, anytime soon. I like frozen garlic bread. I bought a bag of "Mainly Romaine" lettuce too. I didn't spin wash it tho. Tasted fine. I read that even if you spin rinse bagged salads and it has Salmonella (or such), spin rinsing the salad won't keep you safe. At least this bagged salad (Fresh Express) didn't taste of dirt like one batch of bagged salad did.

I bought a salad spinner because of this, soaked and spun that salad bag's contents well. Afterwards, it still tasted like dirt.
Hint: Buy a head of lettuce (leaf, Romaine, etc.), break off the leaves as required, and store the head in the plastic bag in the bin in the fridge. As long as you keep the leaves on the head, they will stay fresh for quite a while. Those bags of pre-cut salad greens are crazy expensive, and turn brown quickly once you open the bag.

Hint: Buy a head of lettuce (leaf, Romaine, etc.), break off the leaves as required, and store the head in the plastic bag in the bin in the fridge. As long as you keep the leaves on the head, they will stay fresh for quite a while. Those bags of pre-cut salad greens are crazy expensive, and turn brown quickly once you open the bag.
I agree. I take off individual leaves and put the rest back in the plastic bag. I close the bag with a clothes pin, making sure that some air can get in. If no air can get in, the leaves go slimy faster. I betcha it's cheaper to have some of a whole head of lettuce go off before you finish it, than to buy the bag of loose leaves. Sometimes the bag of loose leaves is nice for variety.

I had half a head of romaine left when we left for OH on Dec. 18. I wrapped a paper towel around it, slipped it into a plastic produce bag, and put it into the crisper drawer. I used that lettuce for last night's salad. It was just as crisp as the day we left. Tasted fine, too.

I had half a head of romaine left when we left for OH on Dec. 18. I wrapped a paper towel around it, slipped it into a plastic produce bag, and put it into the crisper drawer. I used that lettuce for last night's salad. It was just as crisp as the day we left. Tasted fine, too.
Romaine is good at lasting a long time, when properly stored.

We had a few heads of hydroponic grown Boston lettuce in plastic clam shells in the fridge when we went to visit my M-I-L for Yule. We finished the last one two or three days ago. I only had to do a little bit of triage on them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom