What are you eating Tuesday 12/26/2017?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
We will be having Christmas leftovers.
Brunch was crackers, meat, cheese and olive poppers left from the platter.
Dinner will be roast, gravy, spinach, stuffed mushrooms, and potatoes.

I, for one, will not succumb to peer pressure and have leftovers. Broiled salmon filet served over spinach fettuccine, topped with a scallion, olive, and sun dried tomato white wine sauce, with a salad of romaine (hopefully E. coli free, as I'm south of the border) and tomatoes.

I, for one, will not succumb to peer pressure and have leftovers. Broiled salmon filet served over spinach fettuccine, topped with a scallion, olive, and sun dried tomato white wine sauce, with a salad of romaine (hopefully E. coli free, as I'm south of the border) and tomatoes.
Not sure how lettuce in boxes can contract e coli while being shipped in a truck. I'm likely to think it was in the lettuce before it was shipped...

We need to have the kielbasa Himself bought at West Side Market last Thursday. I'll simmer that in the barrel-cured sauerkraut I got. Side will be mashed potatoes.

Dessert will be passing the box of tissues, since it looks like we girls are coming down with Himself's cold. :glare: Goober is staying far away. :LOL:

I'm making something new out of the leftovers, so I guess it qualifies as repurposeovers. I think I just made up a new word?
Anyway, we have a lot of rare prime rib from yesterday, so I'll slice some of it thin and make Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff over noodles, or homemade Spatzle if I get energetic or inspired. :ermm:
One doesn't hear much about Stroganoff these days, and it may be one of those retro dishes now. I remembered that McCormick used to make a wonderful envelope mix for it and I used it often back in the day. Turns out they still make it so I'll be using it with the required mushrooms and sour cream, being careful not to over heat the beef. :yum:
Just found this about the dish at Epicurious..
This Russian dish has been around for several centuries, but it wasn’t until the fifties that it became all the rage in the United States (despite our fear of Communism). Here is a delicious rendition that pays tribute to the "gourmet" chafing-dish dinner party. Now, as then, beef stroganoff is a good thing to cook in front of a small crowd.

Last edited:
I'm making something new out of the leftovers, so I guess it qualifies as repurposeovers. I think I just made up a new word?
Anyway, we have a lot of rare prime rib from yesterday, so I'll slice some of it thin and make Beef and Mushroom Stroganoff over noodles, or homemade Spatzle if I get energetic or inspired. :ermm:
One doesn't hear much about Stroganoff these days, and it may be one of those retro dishes now. I remembered that McCormick used to make a wonderful envelope mix for it and I used it often back in the day. Turns out they still make it so I'll be using it with the required mushrooms and sour cream, being careful not to over heat the beef. :yum:
Just found this about the dish at Epicurious..

Thanks for the reminder, I love Stroganov. Haven't had it in a while. I may rescue the last pieces of beef for this tomorrow.

O my, wait 'til I let Dx know Stroganoff is a throw back dish. We've been making it almost religiously since Jr was a wee child for his birthday and again Christmas eve. It's his favorite dish, and he's in his 40's now.

We had brunch this year, so something different. For leftovers, I brought home a couple homemade cinnamon rolls. Which I already ate.

Dinner tonight is some Swedish meatballs I made, but weren't served, so not exactly sure if this qualifies as leftovers.

Personally, I love leftover, repurposeovers (I like that word Kayelle)!
Today, Mom and I braved the day-after-Christmas-crowds and went over to the shopping district in town to exchange a few items that were under our tree.
I had been looking for a new bedding set for the guest room since adding drapes, which do not go with the previous bedding.
I spied a lovely set that went very well with the swatch of drapery fabric I carry in my handbag... went to check out thinking that I was going to pay $80 USD... when the cashier said $5.54 I started to open my mouth and thought otherwise :mrgreen:
SCORE!!

But I digress from the topic of dinner.
After shopping, Mom and I took our bounty home and took DH out to Linner at one our favorite Steak houses close by.
On the table was:
a French Dip with a side of soup
a Steak Sandwich with peppers and onions and a side salad
lastly a fully loaded `burger and slaw, oh and an icy mug of dark beer
:yum:
We're all stuffed and have agreed to just nibble on whatever we find, should by some odd fluke one of us is hungry later this evening. :LOL:

Maybe some canned soup as I did not cook. Saving room for our Anniversary Dinner tomorrow.

Apparently Dad is making the icy trip (16 mile round trip) to Taco Johns for Mom's birthday dinner of Nachos Navidad.

I had made some au jus for yesterday's rib roast. I wanted to make gravy out of it so I trimmed some fat off the remaining slices of beef and sautéed them in butter to release the fat and crisp up the rest. Then I whisked in some flour to make a roux and tossed the whole thing into the boiling au jus. I strained it and ended up with a very flavorful gravy that tasted like I made it fresh with the pan drippings.

I wouldn't call it peer pressure... laziness might be more appropriate.

I am having ham and cheese sammies using leftover xmas ham. Easy, and I really like sammies made from leftover honey-baked hams.

CD

O my, wait 'til I let Dx know Stroganoff is a throw back dish. We've been making it almost religiously since Jr was a wee child for his birthday and again Christmas eve. It's his favorite dish, and he's in his 40's now.

We had brunch this year, so something different. For leftovers, I brought home a couple homemade cinnamon rolls. Which I already ate.

Dinner tonight is some Swedish meatballs I made, but weren't served, so not exactly sure if this qualifies as leftovers.
Can someone please tell me what "Dx" stands for. TIA

I had a salad and Jeannie had a sandwich from the turkey we brought from friends Christmas buffet..

Of course I brought home apple pie for me and raspberry cheese cake for Jeannie.. :yum:

Ross

Dx = a term I made up= my dear ex-wife. I dislike using the word Ex and we're closer than 'ex's. I know we are not the only ex-spouses in DC who still manage relationships, in that respect we are not unique. We've reached the fun age where we no longer sweat the small stuff. :)

I tossed my ham and cheese sammy on the panini press. Just ham, cheese and bread. Very simple, and very satisfying.

No DX here, just an X, and I am just fine with that.

CD

Back
Top Bottom