What are you going to cook on Mother's Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my goodness u are becoming a cookies from cake mix king. sounds yummy.

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

babe,

Yeah I guess I am. :) I was getting tired of making pies for dessert and these cookies let me experiment with flavors and combinations very easily.

I made the cherry/chocolate ones this afternoon. I'm not 100% sold on them. They are missing something.. but I'm not sure what. They are not bad, just not what I was going for.

I used a "cherry chip" cake mix, and added about a 1/4 cup chopped marischino cherries, about 1 cup of dark chocolate chips, and 1 tsp vanilla. If anyone want to try these I'm open to suggestions.

I feel like Fettucini Alfredo. I was good this week, so I should have it!!!

Not sure yet....I wanna try Ol' Blue's meatloaf in a baked potato, but I'm not sure I'll get to the store to get the potatoes!!!

I've got ground sirlion in the fridge I need to figure out what to make with.

I guess this will wai. DH's temp cap on his tooth can't handle that yet...he needs soft food!

..., swiss steak, roasted asparagus, potatoes (probably mashed), and trying a new cookie-from-cake mix using cherry cake mix, chopped marischino cherries and dark chocolate.

Well here it is. I put quartered red potatoes in with the swiss steak instead of making mashed.

Attachments

• SwissSteak.jpg
    SwissSteak.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Cherry_DarkChocolateChip_CakeCookies.jpg
    Cherry_DarkChocolateChip_CakeCookies.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 156
That swiss steak looks really good, Dave.
Mom and me always liked it brown, Dad and sister liked it red, with tomatoes and such. She used to fix two dinners basically everytime we had swiss steak. And that's the way I like it :)

I'm fixing beef short ribs and hoping they come out as well as they did the first time, when I grilled them earlier this year. They still have an hour or so to go, the slaw dressing is made and I'll probably fix some thick cut steak fries to go with them. Oh, something different, I had some apples, so during the 'wrapped in foil moisturising phase' (which is going on now), I put some apple chunks in with them. I'm hoping they cook allright and turn tender. Maybe I'll grill them a bit and sprinkle brown sugar on them......

Dave,

Full as I am from DH's dinner, that swiss steak, vegis and cookies look really tasty! and so pretty to look at.

DH - true to his word - cooked me up a wonderful Thai meal even though he had a cold and wasn't feeling too well. He even went to the grocery store to buy the last few ingredients that he needed to make it. I'm so proud of him - he even cleaned the kitchen too!

The sauteed fish in yellow curry was especially good as was the Pad See Eiw which had little baby scallops mixed in.

Thanks pacanis & Mav'sWife :) I usually use the store-bought 'seasoning and bag' method but decided to try making it from scratch this time. Researched a few different recipes and came up with this one. YUM! I'm NEVER going back!

...Mom and me always liked it brown,......

I've never had or seen brown swiss steak, what do you used instead of a tomato sauce? :huh:

I'll have to see if I wrote down the recipe, Dave. (Geez I hope so). I only made it once and can only remember beating the flour into the meat with a tenderizer.... I'll post it when I come up with something.

Coffee and DC.......
And Mike and Mike in the Morning in the background :cool:

Well shoot. Aparently I did not write it down anywhere. After talking to my sister, who I said earlier preferred the tomato based swiss steak, she said that she thinks mom seasoned the flour with s & p, then sprinkled it onto the steak (round steak I think) and beat it in with a meat tenderizer (both sides). That much I remembered. Then brown the steaks on both sides in a skillet and add sliced onions (not chunks) and carrots (stew size, like those precut ones). Also some water and a beef bullion cube. Then cover and either simmer on the stove or finish in the oven. I think I remember putting it in the oven, but I don't remember for how long.....
What you are looking for is a steak with a slight texture to it from the flour and a lot of sliced onion pieces on it. You should be able to cut it with a fork. And the carrots come out slightly darkened, moreso than ones cooked in a stew or with a roast. The gravy or juice should be somewhat thick already. I remember the meat my mother used to use always had a small round bone in it because I would eat the marrow :)

I'll have to give this a try and see if I can duplicate it again.

Of course, from a recent thread, I guess depending on whether or not the steak is covered in liquid or not while simmering, and whether it's done on the stove or in it, this might be considered a stew or a roast :wacko:.
I would have to say that aside from the meat not being bite sized, it favors a stew with the amount of liquid in it.

My DH grilled some amazing marinated steaks and my daughter and I fixed the side dishes which were potato salad, salad greens, Mexican rice, charro beans, guacamole dip and pico de gallo. My daughter also baked a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting because she knows it's my mom's favorite. I made a fresh fruit salad with strawberries, apples, tangelos, peaches, pears and grapes and some cream cheese dipped strawberries for all the mommies. Everything turned out great! Mom, my sister, sister-in-law and I really enjoyed our Mother's day together with great food and our families.

...seasoned the flour with s & p, then sprinkled it onto the steak (round steak I think) and beat it in with a meat tenderizer (both sides). That much I remembered. Then brown the steaks on both sides in a skillet and add sliced onions (not chunks) and carrots (stew size, like those precut ones). Also some water and a beef bullion cube. Then cover and either simmer on the stove or finish in the oven. I think I remember putting it in the oven, but I don't remember for how long.....

Thanks! There is enough there for me to have a go at making it some night. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

I was following that thread..:ermm:. I'd just call it braised meat. That covers a wide enough range for me.

Mum had decided that she had wanted to come over to my house on Mother's Day and that I would drive her to a gourmet food market where we would get a picnic lunch together and go for a drive somewhere along the coast. Well that was the plan. Just before lunchtime she phoned me to say that she wasn't able to walk very well and could I come to her instead. So I hopped into the car with some baby cos lettuce, green grapes, a Packham pear and Havarti cheese. Stopped off at her local shop to get some fresh bread rolls and seafood but their seafood sucked. All frozen or about to expire so I ended up with a bag of frozen crumbed squid rings and cooked them when for our lunch with the salad and roll. Very yummy in the end. Mars bars for dessert.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom