"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Well shoot. Aparently I did not write it down anywhere. After talking to my sister, who I said earlier preferred the tomato based swiss steak, she said that she thinks mom seasoned the flour with s & p, then sprinkled it onto the steak (round steak I think) and beat it in with a meat tenderizer (both sides). That much I remembered. Then brown the steaks on both sides in a skillet and add sliced onions (not chunks) and carrots (stew size, like those precut ones). Also some water and a beef bullion cube. Then cover and either simmer on the stove or finish in the oven. I think I remember putting it in the oven, but I don't remember for how long.....
What you are looking for is a steak with a slight texture to it from the flour and a lot of sliced onion pieces on it. You should be able to cut it with a fork. And the carrots come out slightly darkened, moreso than ones cooked in a stew or with a roast. The gravy or juice should be somewhat thick already. I remember the meat my mother used to use always had a small round bone in it because I would eat the marrow

I'll have to give this a try and see if I can duplicate it again.

Of course, from a recent thread, I guess depending on whether or not the steak is covered in liquid or not while simmering, and whether it's done on the stove or in it, this might be considered a stew or a roast .
I would have to say that aside from the meat not being bite sized, it favors a stew with the amount of liquid in it.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My DH grilled some amazing marinated steaks and my daughter and I fixed the side dishes which were potato salad, salad greens, Mexican rice, charro beans, guacamole dip and pico de gallo. My daughter also baked a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting because she knows it's my mom's favorite. I made a fresh fruit salad with strawberries, apples, tangelos, peaches, pears and grapes and some cream cheese dipped strawberries for all the mommies. Everything turned out great! Mom, my sister, sister-in-law and I really enjoyed our Mother's day together with great food and our families.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM   #33
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
...seasoned the flour with s & p, then sprinkled it onto the steak (round steak I think) and beat it in with a meat tenderizer (both sides). That much I remembered. Then brown the steaks on both sides in a skillet and add sliced onions (not chunks) and carrots (stew size, like those precut ones). Also some water and a beef bullion cube. Then cover and either simmer on the stove or finish in the oven. I think I remember putting it in the oven, but I don't remember for how long.....
Thanks! There is enough there for me to have a go at making it some night. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

I was following that thread... I'd just call it braised meat. That covers a wide enough range for me.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:10 PM   #34
Executive Chef

Mum had decided that she had wanted to come over to my house on Mother's Day and that I would drive her to a gourmet food market where we would get a picnic lunch together and go for a drive somewhere along the coast. Well that was the plan. Just before lunchtime she phoned me to say that she wasn't able to walk very well and could I come to her instead. So I hopped into the car with some baby cos lettuce, green grapes, a Packham pear and Havarti cheese. Stopped off at her local shop to get some fresh bread rolls and seafood but their seafood sucked. All frozen or about to expire so I ended up with a bag of frozen crumbed squid rings and cooked them when for our lunch with the salad and roll. Very yummy in the end. Mars bars for dessert.