What are you having for St. Patrick's Day dinner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

les

Sous Chef
Irish Colcannon With A Twist

colcannon2.jpg

Serves 2
Prep Time 10 mins
Cooking Time 15-20 mins
Ingredients

• 450g/1lb Potatoes
  • 1 Large parsnip
  • 230g/8oz Mixed bag of shredded Savoy cabbage, leeks, white cabbage and curly kale (see Cook's tips)
  • Splash of Semi skimmed milk or dollop of cream
  • 28g/1oz Butter, plus a knob for serving
Method

• Peel the potatoes and parsnips, cut into large chunks and place them in a saucepan of boiling water to cook
  • Steam the cabbage and leek mixture for a few minutes until al dente, and set aside (see Cook’s tips)
  • When the potatoes and parsnips are cooked, strain and mash them with the milk and butter (see Cook’s tips)
  • Stir in the cabbage and leeks etc into the mash
  • Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper
  • Serve in mounds on individual plates
  • Make an indent in the centre of the colcannon and add a knob of butter
Cook's tips

• To lower the calories, use low fat crème fraiche instead of milk and butter
  • You can buy the bags of mixed cabbage and kale etc from large supermarkets, if not, buy seperately and shred, just keep the weight to 230g/8oz
  • I only use about 20ml of milk
Equipment

• Large frying pan or wok
  • Steamer
  • Medium saucepan
Shopping List

• 450g/1lb Potatoes
  • 1 Large parsnip
  • 230g/8oz Mixed shredded Savoy cabbage,leeks, white cabbage and curly kale from the Supermarket
  • Splash of Semi skimmed milk or dollop of cream
  • 28g/1oz Butter, plus a knob for serving

I am going to make a big Greek salad and grill some chicken to go with it.

Not very Irish of me, is it?

Getting ready to put my corned beef on to cook. Will add the cabbage near the end, then make mashed taters. Oh, les, your colcannon looks yummy. I don't have some of the ingredients or I'd make that in place of the mashed potatoes. Might make some oatmeal-raisin cookies for dessert.

I've got Guinness on hand, & a nice corned beef in the fridge awaiting cooking. Also a turkey kielbasa for my non-red-meat-eating husband.

To accompany the above, I plan to butter-braise/saute some sliced green cabbage, & roast a tray of root veggies (potatoes, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, onion, & garlic) with extra-virgin olive oil & herbs. I HATE the typical boiled version of veggies that normally accompany a nice corned beef dinner.

And the best part of all?? All that lovely leftover corned beef for me to use in lovely Reuben sandwiches for my lunches this week. Already have all the fixings for those on hand as well.

We're having traditional Irish Spaghetti and Garlic Bread. Not traditional Irish? Oh well..my Irish ancestors will understand. Today is Daughter Katie's 22nd birthday and she's invited a host of her friends to come over immediately after dinner(one friend will be here for that too) for Brownies alamode and a Game Night. I WAS going to have beef brisket and potatoes, but since it will be totally chaotic tonight, I woke up this morning and decided to go for something easier to make and clean up. I also wanted to free up my counter space(was going to cook the brisket in my 18 qt roaster) so I'd have room for several pans of brownies. Where's my stunt double?!?

Traditional Irish boiled dinner with corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. I am making an angel food cake with pistachio frosting for dessert. This is my basic March 17th menu.....has been for years!

St. Pat's day.

I got the corned beef in the oven and going to make Rubens and potatoe salad ,mmmm the house so good. Happy St.Pat's day!!!Have a great day !!!

marlin with buerre blanc, pommes anna, brown rice pilaf, battonet carrot in butter, green bns./julienne onion, & clam chowder. (it was a school feast.)

if i'm hungry nuff to cook later, it'll be corned beef sammiches.

Dinner: St. Patty's Day

:chef:Is anyone eating?
Corned Beef, Cabbage, Potatoes, Turnips, Carrots, Seeded Rye Bread. I know that is not Irish, but I don't like Irish Soda Bread. Dessert, Oh, that would be a Beer (after work, of-course!).

Getting ready to put my corned beef on to cook. Will add the cabbage near the end, then make mashed taters. Oh, les, your colcannon looks yummy. I don't have some of the ingredients or I'd make that in place of the mashed potatoes. Might make some oatmeal-raisin cookies for dessert.
Thanks Katie....I had an email from my friend Anne in Co. Donegal this morning...she wanted the recipe for Colcannon!!!
They were having fish & chips!! Can you believe it!:rolleyes:

We usually have ham, cabbage, mashed potatoes and gravy, but this lent I am abstaining all sorts of meat except fish, So I cooked an Irish brunch for dinner. Irish sausages, black and white pudding, bacon, fried egg, mushrooms,baked beans, toast and a nice cuppa. They loved it. :lucky:.I had a bouillabaisse. It was lovely.

keeping with ye ole traditional corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots
with soda bread and oatmeal-zucchini cookies for dessert. yeah, they
come out green, too!

Instead of boiling the cabbage, I cut it in a large dice, added 4 sliced leeks,a little chopped parsley and sauted the whole thing in butter,added some cream, sugar and mustard. Have corned beef ready to go, along with some baked potatoes,sauted carrots with brown sugar and butter. Made some home made biscuits and chocolate pies..
kadesma:)

We went out for lunch, and I had corned beef and cabbage, green beans, mashed potatoes, pickled beets and a homemade roll...for $5.99.

I'm having a couple pieces of cold fried chicken tonight. Might eat a few baby dills with it. DH is heating his up, but if the chicken isn't greasy, and this isn't, I prefer it cold.
I've always been a little strange.

Back
Top Bottom