What are you having this T-Day eve, 11-22-17?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
We are having Ropa Vieja, black beans, rice and maduros!:yum:

We are freezing and canning venison, so the guys are having a beef roast, potatoes, green beans, then in the AM we continue with venison processing, and we'll eat two rotisserie chickens, stuffing, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce.

I've been so busy today!

We had breakfast out and then went to pick up
the fresh Turkey... got back about 11am or so
and got to work prepping.

I have the birdie deconstructed and brining,
neck, back and wing tips put away for soup,
Dressing Casserole fixin's ready to go for tomorrow,
Pumpkin pie for one done,
crust for the Apple Crostata resting in the `fridge for manana,
turkey giblets cooked, chopped and delivered to lucky puppy next door,
Kalua Pork that I made day before yesterday divvied up, packaged and frozen,
everything is cleaned up and ...
... geez, that doesn't sound like much as I look at this, but ...
MAN!
I'm pooped!

Oh, yeah dinner...
I've got a New York Strip steak ready to go, taters roasting in the hot box (I figured heck it's on already, y'know ;)), `shrooms ready for the grill too and steamed green beans for the veg.

I've got breakfast and lunch for tomorrow already made so I don't have to fuss with that, just re-heat it ... and if we like, we also have an afternoon snack at the ready too.

I'm set, ready, GOOOOOOO!

Korean BBQ tonight. Spicy pork bulgogi wrapped in red leaf lettuce, topped with ssamjang (seasoned soybean paste) and shredded scallions.

Ban chan were spicy pressed fish cakes, steamed Korean spinach, seasoned mung bean sprouts, julienned carrots, and sweet pickled mushrooms.

I stopped and picked up Mexican food this afternoon from my fave tiny little mom and pop restaurant. Two enchiladas and a small side salad.

Exactly what I predicted yesterday -- meatballs and Italian sausages simmered in jarred spaghetti sauce, served with rolls from the Kroger bakery.

CD

Red gravy w/ravioli

39817-albums371-picture7166.jpg
[/IMG]

Ground Pork meatloaf with mushroom gravy and brussel sprouts. TB had potatoes and raw veggies instead of the sprouts!

I made a Serious Eats recipe tonight: Honey-Soy Glazed Salmon with Bok Choy. I'm trying to make friends with salmon since it's supposed to be good for you. After tonight, we're still at the acquaintances stage - someone you visit with about once or twice a year. Himself kept saying "the bok choy is really good"...:LOL:

I did the bok choy a bit differently than suggested. I seared it a bit in a bit of toasted sesame and vegetable oils, then poured in a little of the marinade along with some water, covered to steam it a bit, then took the lid off to reduce the liquids. Served everything up with a bit of TJ's brown basmati rice.

Attachments

• 20171122_215627.jpg
    20171122_215627.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 125
Potato, onion, & kielbasa soup with the last of the succotash for me, grilled cheese sandwich for Mom (it's what she wanted and what Mom wants, Mom gets!).

Since we had birthday lasagna last night, and the Thanksgiving feast tomorrow, we went out for sushi tonight.
I'll just show you the salads, since they were so pretty [emoji2]

I had a cucumber salad with wasabi dressing (sinus-clearing! Whew!) and DH had an avocado salad with mixed greens.
1122171934.jpg1122171934b.jpg

Big Brag!

As some of you may know, I made most of the Thanksgiving feast for my husband and his family (mother, sister and her husband, and his nephew). The only contributions to the feast made by other family members: Mom made the dressing and sweet potato casserole, and Sis made the green bean casserole. I will not comment on either, except to say I was thankful that these holiday staples were taken out of my hands!

The turkey was the star of course. I used the method and recipe from America’s Test Kitchen, and even though my bird was 5 lbs larger than the one in the recipe, it came out picture perfect! And in less than five hours! I did fill the cavity with aromatics, and massaged softened compound butter under the skin before roasting.

My cranberry sauce was good, a little too tart perhaps. Cranberry sauce is easy, though.

Gluten-free dinner rolls were a qualified success. They were a bit to dense and dry, more like biscuits than rolls. A generous application of compound butter made them palatable, though. My whole wheat rolls, on the other hand, were OUTSTANDING! I credit their success to Bob’s Ted Mill Whole Wheat Flour, and it’s distinctive nutty flavor, and to two teaspoons of gluten that I added to the recipe. Really REALLY good bread dough that’s very versatile.

The braised red cabbage, also from America’s Test Kitchen, was delicious, popular, and very easy to make. It would’ve been even easier if I’d taken a mandolin along, or a food processor.

Butternut squash soup was and always will be a hit. I need say no more.

The surprise of the feast, though, for me was the gluten-free coffee cake. I have NEVER had better coffee cake! I’m going to make it again and again, and I’m not gonna tell a SOUL that it’s gluten free! Moist, dense, sweet, nutty, it is the perfect accompaniment for after dinner coffee or drinks, and a must have for the next day’s brunch. Here is the recipe: Gluten-Free Sour Cream Coffee Cake Recipe - Genius Kitchen You can add some chocolate bits and/or some raisins or fruit to the topping; I would only add them to the middle layer, as the top has no moisture and tends to get a little brown - the fruit might burn on the top. Do not fail to make this recipe!

A very satisfying experience, with the added pleasure of seeing my adopted family enjoying my efforts. On to Christmas! (Beef Wellington, I think!)

Back
Top Bottom