What are you Munching this Monday? 01/20/14

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't know if you set the fish/meats on plates on ice or something.
That seems like a lot of work to set up a spread if you aren't going to nibble on it all night. It sounds like a nice alternative to dinner though.
Well, cheese, bread, and vegis might stay out. ;)

I'm letting the side down. It's been "one of those days" and it's 11pm and I'm just about to have dinner!!! A can of Heinz cream of tomato soup with homemade rolls and butter.

There are some days when only Heinz C of T soup will do and this has been one of them.

I don't buy any other tinned soup (except for Aldi tomato basil and crème fraiche, which is seriously good).

Going to bed when I've eaten.

I made up some char siu this afternoon. I am going to do up a bowl of udon noodles ramen style with some beef broth, spices, the pork, some bok choy, and a few other things I have around...

Attachments

• DSC02018.jpg
    DSC02018.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 160
  • DSC02022.jpg
    DSC02022.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 168
Mmmm, grilled cheese. Yes, grilled cheese it is, have some nice Cabot 3 year cheddar from Costco.

Whatever char siu is, Rock, I'll have to look it up, it looks wonderful!

Last edited:

I had to Google that one (of course). It doesn't look like the pics I came across. Was this barbequed?
Your bowl looks amazing. Should I bring my own spoon :chef:

I had to rustle up some sauce for my ribs. I was all set on using some Arthur Bryant's that I bought when I made burnt ends, but I must have used up the second bottle... or lost it :wacko:
A little SBR, hot sauce and honey and I'm good, but it's not Arthur Bryant's :(

Rock, that really looks yummy.

Pac, what is SBR?

And yes, the wine is in a box and the red one is always out. The white one lives in the fridge, right next to the archway to the dining area.

Rock, that really looks yummy.

Pac, what is SBR?

And yes, the wine is in a box and the red one is always out. The white one lives in the fridge, right next to the archway to the dining area.

Sweet Baby Ray's, I think.

Did someone mention Archway Cookies? Too soft :mrgreen:

SBR, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce.
And they were yummy :yum:
First time I made ribs on the new gasser.

I've never had any good luck with cooking ribs at home. How do you get your ribs to fall off the bone?
Low and slow. We do them dry rubbed over night, tucked tight in tin foil, oven at 225 and let them go for 3 or 4 or 5 hours, depending on the size. The bigger the longer. Then throw them on the grill with the sauce of your choice to finish them off. They come out so you can grab a bone, give it a bit of a twist and out it comes.

And you're gonna post the recipe, right, Rock?

• 1 1/2 pounds pork tenderloin, shoulder, or butt
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
  • 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon liquid honey
  • 2 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
  • a few drops red food coloring, optional
Cut the pork into strips about 1 inch thick and 7 - 8 inches (18 - 20cm) long, and marinate, covered, for at least 8 10 hours, turning occasionally. Mix all of the other ingredients together and marinate the pork overnight. BBQ on low unti they are done through. You can eat it hot, warm, or use it cold in other recipes....

Here is the stuff I made last night. Normally, the Chinese places use red food coloring so it is a different color. I just decided to do it later last night so I used some chops I cut a couple of hours before. I took the marinated pork to work today and let it sit on the back of the char grill and brushed it often with the remaining marinade while I did my prep this morning.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom