"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-08-2005, 04:58 PM   #31
Master Chef

you guys, i am so jealous. i have to share my kitchen space with my family since i'm only a kid living at home, so i can only keep what i really, really need in my kitchen space.
i forgot about my freezer. i always keep a ribeye, some lamb rib chops, cornish hens, ground beef, tuna steak, salmon, mussels, tilapia, crab legs, frog legs, ground pork, lots of stuff like that is in my freezer space. there's a bunch more, but i can't really think of it right now.

Old 09-08-2005, 05:26 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Ok, here's some pictures. The first pic is looking into my pantry, on the left-hand side....
Mamma miaaa Lucky U to have such an enormous pantry!! We live in a very compact flat, with a kitchen less than 2metres each side... the space issue is always a serious problem!! Cristiano has built a lovely kitchen shelf earlier this year to ease some of the problem, brilliant, isn't it?

Top 2 1/2 shelves are for spices and herbs (also a chocolatiera), then different flours, rices, sugars and grains etc. are stored here. Also in the middle section there are holder/cutter for foils, baking paper and plastic wraps. We also managed to fit an ice cream maker, bread maker, food processor and a slicer into our space, I think we have done well but still there are things overflowing everywhere!!

Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM   #33
Executive Chef

long Grain Rice
short grain rice
canned diced tomatoes
tomato paste
tomatoes
celery
bell peppers
lemons
oranges
apples
fresh pinapple
canned pineapple
tomato sauce
baking potatoes (russet)
red potatoes
vadalia onions
cooking onions
ground beef
pita bread
wheat bread
rye bread
flour
frozen pie crust
frozen veggies
sweet and dill pickles
Franks Red Hot Sauce
salt
pepper
cinnamon
cumin
celery salt
catsup
yellow mustard
sliced american cheese
jars of grape leaves
butter
olive oil
peanut oil
green onions
pork roasts
chuck roasts
apple juice
orange juice
pinto beans
chili beans
worcestershire sauce
chili powder
fresh garlic
onion powder
garlic powder
lawrys seasoned salt
soy sauce
fish sauce
frozen shrimp
pork chops
cabbage
parsely
oregeno
salad greens
bacon
salami
eggs
butter milk
milk
cottage cheese
assorted dressings..bottled
canned baked beans
Italian sausage
whole chickens
pork ribs
hot dogs in the casings
skinless hot dogs
assorted dried pastas
spam
vienna sausages
stewing beef
shredded cheeses
pepperoni
pepperoncinis
canned pizza sauce
yeast
hot dog and hamburger buns
Manwich
beef and chicken boulion
ham hocks smoked
assorted dried beans and peas
carrots
sour cream
Dave's Insanity sauce
corn chips
Old 09-09-2005, 12:03 AM   #34
Executive Chef

urmaniac, that's a nice looking shelving unit! BTW, I love your avatar! Scrat rules!

I didn't even mention my deep-freezer. It's a small chest-style deep-freezer, plus the freezer on top of the refrigerator. I need to clean the deep-freezer out and stock it with bulk frozen meats from work. My boss will let me buy food "at cost", so I get to pay wholesale prices for restaurant-quality stuff.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:22 AM   #35
Cook

ok i feel like i am a little kid....i look at some of you guys list of kitchen staples and I think WOW

mine is:
black beans
rice
drinking water
eggs
red bulls

Cook: Well then, I will have to become perfect.
ch3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 11:03 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
urmaniac, that's a nice looking shelving unit! BTW, I love your avatar! Scrat rules!

I didn't even mention my deep-freezer. It's a small chest-style deep-freezer, plus the freezer on top of the refrigerator. I need to clean the deep-freezer out and stock it with bulk frozen meats from work. My boss will let me buy food "at cost", so I get to pay wholesale prices for restaurant-quality stuff.
Well Scrat says thanx for the compliment, your chef is kewl as well!!
Yeahhh we also bought a freezer some months ago, as I said our space is severely limited thus where to put it was a big Q, well finally it settled itself next to our computer desk after stacking two drawers vertically... not extactly a relevant spot but it is a great solution and then some as the little compartment on top of the fridge has increasingly been dominated by our homemade icecream and we were running out of the space for everything else!! I think for any cooking enthusiast the separate freezer is a must!!
Old 09-10-2005, 01:32 AM   #37
Executive Chef

I forgot to mention chili paste.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #38
Cook

Bang that is funny. Out of all that you forgot chili paste. What kind?
Cook: Well then, I will have to become perfect.
ch3f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #39
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch3f
Bang that is funny. Out of all that you forgot chili paste. What kind?
Sambal Oelek from Huy Fong Foods INC.
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/oelek.htm

I used it to make Thai Fried Rice just now.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:11 AM   #40
Cook

Wow guys, I am almost in tears about the fact I am not alone . Of course I am a bit late with this post, but in my pantry I keep my home canned preserves, tomatoes, asparagus, and stocks. Then I have pasta, recently switched to WW pastas, which surprisingly are very good, organic pbut, basmati and arborio rice, need to find some brown and wild rice out here, pancake syrup, sp sauce, semolina, cake, WW and regular flours, cornmeal, cornbread mix from TJ's, chocolate, baking powder/soda, and one of those turnabouts of spices like fennel, cloves, onion & garlic powders, tarragon, etc, and sugar & cereal. In my cabinet, I keep my 2 buck chuck wines for cooking, along w/ port & sherry, my last bottle of EVOO from California, big costco canola oil, honey, soy sauce, Franks red hot sauce, liquid smoke and some vinegars. Then on my countertop, I keep my evoo, balsamic vinegar, sea and kosher salt, pepper & grinder, and a small bottle of canola oil. In my other cabinet, I keep the rest of my spices that I have used different size jars for, like cinn sticks, bay leaves, tumeric, paprika, homemade spice blends, wasabi, horseradish, anchovies, rose and orange flower waters, and my last bottle of Tajitian Vanilla. Has anyone used that before!! The food network was right when they said a good vanilla makes a difference in cooking!! Then in my freezer I have ribs, tilapia, mahi mahi, shrimp, t-bones, sausages, cubes of lemon & lime juices, zest from said juices, frozen fresh chives, chix & wings, and in my chest freezer I keep the overflow, plus milk and berries, fresh, frozen veggies that I blanch & freeze since I have no farmers who sell their goods at the non-existant farmers markets in this godforsaken state (Florida) at least in the summer when the rest of the country is harvesting their goods (but I digress) and toppings for crumb cakes and breading for chix tenders. I also have water frozen in there. In my fridge I have butter, country crock tub marg, sesame oil, whipping cream, 1/2 & 1/2, juice, SB frappes, sometimes some good German beer, cheese, ALWAYS cheese, lemons, and usually veggies. I always keep garlic and potatoes and onions of course. Whew, I need to leave work & go home & create something now!!!
Thanks for the great topic.
B.