"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-03-2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
What are your "when no one is watching" recipies?

You know what I mean... those meals you love but they are so sloppy and generally wrong that you really dont make it when there's other people around. Included also are your favorite "lazy" meals, those things that you can make during a comercial break...

Mine:

"soup sandwich". Instant grilled cheese... during one comercial I get some bread in the toaster and some instant soup boiling. During the next comercial I take a bowl and put bread at the bottom, a slice of cheese, another slice of bread and pour the soup on top. It turns into a soggy, cheezy, melty mess that's soo goood....

Mac and cheese skillet casserole: I prepare some of the twisty mac and cheese (never use the delux though, too salty for me), a spoon of mayo and fried ham.

Crab sandwich: I nuke an "artificial crab stick" in the microwave (I keep them frozen and broken up) and have it on bread with wasabi mayo and sliced cucombers.

Hot dog hoagie: I chop up hotdogs (the REALLY cheap kind that comes in a huge package) and fry it up with some onions, latin frying cheese (panela for example) stuff it into a roll with lot's of fixings.

Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Cook

Po'boy cassoulet:can of louisianna beans or black beans,andouille or chorizo sliced,onion & garlic clove minced,lime juice.Fry onion,garlic,sausage.Dump on beans,microwave,squeeze lime on top, mix,eat.

Old 04-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Mac and cheese from the blue box with a can of mushrooms added.

Tomato soup with chunks of cheddar.

Left over spaghetti (noodles included) with mayo on soft white wonderbread
warmed in the micowave for a minute or so. It's been years but, I sure would love one now that you've got me thinking about it.

Fried potatoes, with tons of onions and garlic smothered in
catsup.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:28 PM   #4
Master Chef

My mom used to mix tomato soup with hot dogs over mac-n-cheese. I hated that combination.

Since I have started eating healthier I don't do these combinations much any more, but every once in awhile I will for old times sake.

beef rice-a-roni mixed with ground beef

ground beef and gravy over boxed mashed potatoes

boxed pasta salad with kidney beans and green onions added

campbells pork-n-beans with sliced hot dogs

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 05:01 PM   #5
Executive Chef

If I'm in the mood for a sweet sandwich, I use cream cheese and strawberry jam on white bread lol, I love that.

Also a casserole of sliced hot dogs, baked beans, and chunks of pineapple (sounds odd but it's very good).

Sloppy Joe's
Old 04-03-2005, 06:00 PM   #6
Executive Chef

The jambalaya I just made. I cheated big time and used a few boxes of Zatarains and added ham, chicken, sausage and grilled onions and peppers. Oh, and LOTS of Tobasco!
Old 04-03-2005, 07:27 PM   #7
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to thier1754
Here's one from my French Canadian husband: Get a casserole bowl, line it with mashed potatoes, put on a layer of corn, then a layer of drained cooked ground beef, then another layer of potatoes. Season any layer with s and p. Brown under the broiler and eat.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

For me, it's either tuna salad sandwiches, Ramen noodles (Gasp!), or mac-n-cheese with a can of tuna added.
Old 04-03-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
Master Chef

cheese singles and creamed corn with garlic powder and pepper or canned peas and cheese.
ramen noodles.
fried bread w/ syrup. (yummmmmm!!!!!)
Old 04-03-2005, 11:30 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by thier1754
Here's one from my French Canadian husband: Get a casserole bowl, line it with mashed potatoes, put on a layer of corn, then a layer of drained cooked ground beef, then another layer of potatoes. Season any layer with s and p. Brown under the broiler and eat.
That sounds like instant shepards pie, which as far as I know you cant go wrong with tastewise, it's great stuff. Hehehe, lot's of things I've done are here, especially what love's mentioned (down to the garlic powder) but I use regular canned corn instead of creamed. I'll also have corn in a bowl with lime and hot sauce... dont ask.