What are your "when no one is watching" recipies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lugaru

Sous Chef
You know what I mean... those meals you love but they are so sloppy and generally wrong that you really dont make it when there's other people around. Included also are your favorite "lazy" meals, those things that you can make during a comercial break...

Mine:

"soup sandwich". Instant grilled cheese... during one comercial I get some bread in the toaster and some instant soup boiling. During the next comercial I take a bowl and put bread at the bottom, a slice of cheese, another slice of bread and pour the soup on top. It turns into a soggy, cheezy, melty mess that's soo goood....

Mac and cheese skillet casserole: I prepare some of the twisty mac and cheese (never use the delux though, too salty for me), a spoon of mayo and fried ham.

Crab sandwich: I nuke an "artificial crab stick" in the microwave (I keep them frozen and broken up) and have it on bread with wasabi mayo and sliced cucombers.

Hot dog hoagie: I chop up hotdogs (the REALLY cheap kind that comes in a huge package) and fry it up with some onions, latin frying cheese (panela for example) stuff it into a roll with lot's of fixings.

Po'boy cassoulet:can of louisianna beans or black beans,andouille or chorizo sliced,onion & garlic clove minced,lime juice.Fry onion,garlic,sausage.Dump on beans,microwave,squeeze lime on top, mix,eat.

Last edited:
Mac and cheese from the blue box with a can of mushrooms added.

Tomato soup with chunks of cheddar.

Left over spaghetti (noodles included) with mayo on soft white wonderbread
warmed in the micowave for a minute or so. It's been years but, I sure would love one now that you've got me thinking about it.

Fried potatoes, with tons of onions and garlic smothered in
catsup.

My mom used to mix tomato soup with hot dogs over mac-n-cheese. I hated that combination.

Since I have started eating healthier I don't do these combinations much any more, but every once in awhile I will for old times sake. :rolleyes:

beef rice-a-roni mixed with ground beef

ground beef and gravy over boxed mashed potatoes

boxed pasta salad with kidney beans and green onions added

campbells pork-n-beans with sliced hot dogs

If I'm in the mood for a sweet sandwich, I use cream cheese and strawberry jam on white bread lol, I love that.

Also a casserole of sliced hot dogs, baked beans, and chunks of pineapple (sounds odd but it's very good).

Sloppy Joe's

The jambalaya I just made. I cheated big time and used a few boxes of Zatarains and added ham, chicken, sausage and grilled onions and peppers. Oh, and LOTS of Tobasco! :rolleyes:

Here's one from my French Canadian husband: Get a casserole bowl, line it with mashed potatoes, put on a layer of corn, then a layer of drained cooked ground beef, then another layer of potatoes. Season any layer with s and p. Brown under the broiler and eat.

For me, it's either tuna salad sandwiches, Ramen noodles (Gasp!), or mac-n-cheese with a can of tuna added.

cheese singles and creamed corn with garlic powder and pepper or canned peas and cheese.
ramen noodles.
fried bread w/ syrup. (yummmmmm!!!!!):)

thier1754 said:
Here's one from my French Canadian husband: Get a casserole bowl, line it with mashed potatoes, put on a layer of corn, then a layer of drained cooked ground beef, then another layer of potatoes. Season any layer with s and p. Brown under the broiler and eat.

That sounds like instant shepards pie, which as far as I know you cant go wrong with tastewise, it's great stuff. Hehehe, lot's of things I've done are here, especially what love's mentioned (down to the garlic powder) but I use regular canned corn instead of creamed. I'll also have corn in a bowl with lime and hot sauce... dont ask.

Since I tend to eat lower carb, I love to cook up a bunch of freah artichokes in chicken broth with some celery & tomatoes. I refrigerate them and then I have an artichoke for lunch during the day at home (messy because I dip it in a melted butter/healthy oil/soy sauce mixture). Also when making the chicken broth, I use chicken breasts w/ribs and love to snack on the cooked chicken bones! I'm a soup nut, so I love having the broth with added veggies, etc. for lunch. I always freeze it to have on hand.
I remember watching the Frugal Gourmet years ago, and he was always talking about those things that one saves for a 'private lunch'.

- Jam and cheese toasted sandwich...grew up on these.
- Ham and cheese toasted sandwich, absolutely covered in black pepper...or omit the pepper and add jam!
- Pasta with regular cheddar and tomato sauce (not a proper tomato sauce, but like ketchup, only in Australia its not so sweet) I was a real picky eater when I was a kid and this was one of the only things I really ate.

thier1754 said:

Hey I am French Canadian and I have never heard of that way of making Shepherd's Pie! It's like an upside down pie! Sounds very yummy and I will certainly try it next time.

I do many different combinations similar to the original Shepherd's Pie, but instead of frozen corn I use frozen mixed veggies - I always parboil the frozen veggies before layering them. I sometimes use rice instead of mashed potatoes...

My all time favorite is Liptons Chicken Noodle Soup with a couple of eggs added to it.

Yum!

Sara

Grilled pimento cheese sandwiches, I only eat these when I'm alone because they are very messy. But oh so good!!

Blue box mac & cheese with cut up hot dogs...I make this more for the kids than myself.

Chicken flavored ramen noodles with a can of chunk chicken added or shrimp flavored with the little frozen salad shrimp or fake crab meat added.

Grilled canned corned beef & cheese sandwiches. Another messy but good one!

Spaghetti noodles(or whatever pasta I have around) cooked then topped with butter, parmesan cheese, basil, & if I have any fresh tomateos I chop those up & throw them in too.

Last edited:
elbow macaroni with tomato sauce on it. elbow macaroni boiled in chicken broth. ramen noodles i have on hand always. hey they're good and cheap lol.

This is a great comfort food, but I would not serve it to guests. I like Creamed Tuna:
3 cans tuna
3 cans cream of mushroom soup
1+1/2 cans milk
3 boiled eggs, sliced

Add all to a pot and bring to just about a boil, just enough to get it hot. Serve over bread/toast or eat plain in a bowl.

paper thin spam slices fried in a dry skillet with syrup. tastes like bacon in a way when it gets really crisp.
spoonfuls of peanut butter.
special k with juice poured over it.

Oh, I hadent though of cereal yet...

Cereal (usually korn flakes or those oat ones that tase good and toasty) in a bowl with milk and one scoop of ice cream.

Foodfiend: I so have to make that and pour it over noodles with fresh pepper! Hehehe... now I have a list for next time I go shopping. :-p

Last edited:
Foodfiend said:
This is a great comfort food, but I would not serve it to guests. I like Creamed Tuna:
3 cans tuna
3 cans cream of mushroom soup
1+1/2 cans milk
3 boiled eggs, sliced

Add all to a pot and bring to just about a boil, just enough to get it hot. Serve over bread/toast or eat plain in a bowl.

Wow! I love the sound of that combination!

Can't wait to try it, I really like each and every one of those ingredients...

Back
Top Bottom