"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #51
Master Chef

I had tuna salad on wheat bread with sliced, dill pickle.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Why does no one south of the mason/dixon know how to make good pizza?
Not sure why you think that, Kathleen Maybe you need to try a few more places. And remember that "good" is relative.

I had a tuna salad sandwich with a dill pickle, today, too! Lots of tuna today.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:13 PM   #53
Senior Cook

We had some left over steak and smashed califlower with bacon, mushrooms and green peas. mhmmmm.
Old 04-18-2009, 08:16 PM   #54
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Not sure why you think that, Kathleen Maybe you need to try a few more places. And remember that "good" is relative.

We've tried just about every pizza place within driving range of Ft. Worth. Now we're working on Dallas side since we've moved that way. We tried several of the chains like Domino's (apparently crappy no matter where you go), Mr. Jim's (Average at best ... eat only when drunk so you don't remember), Nizza Pizza (average), Joe's Pizza (decent, and we tried all the places that had the name Joe in them .. too many to describe all of them), Pizza Hut (another average, no matter where you go, and they ripped off our debit card) and then we found Big Joe's ... it was the best so far.

We had the same problem in Florida, we found only 2 places that were good ... one a little hole in the wall place called Le May's ... it had about 3 tables inside, that's how small it was ... but possibly the best pizza ever The other good pizza place down there is one we had in the north, Donato's ...

Good pizza to us is full of fresh flavor, plenty of sauce (and not just open a can of tomato sauce and dump it on), spices, and pepperoni-n-cheese. When we go for the big Supreme's, we like fresh veggies on there that aren't out of a can ... one's that retain a little life after the oven. Most of the ones I mentioned above that were average at best often fell short on sauce ... for some reason people overlook sauce on a pizza and it makes it very dry if you do. Another of my pet peeves when it comes to pizza is the veggies ... they are always as limps as yesterdays overcooked noodles. Why can these places not use fresh veggies or not overcook the ones they have?

I know that "good" is relative ... but I think the above mentioned items are standard ... if you can't get the basics right ... try another venue. I would have to say, going through the phone book, that chefkathleen and I have gone through at least 80% or more of the pizza places named in the Ft. Worth phone book ... and with only one or two that fit the basic criteria laid out ... that's a pretty low percentage of the basic "good". Out of around 100 or more places eaten below said "line", three out of that many says 3% or less are "good", just by basic standards and not a relativity. I could go on about the things that make them good to us but not others, but I'd rather just base my opinion of "goodness" based on simple basics. I can find more McDonalds with good food down here than pizza places, and I hate McDonalds.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #55
Master Chef

My grandson and I had oven roasted turkey breast on whole wheat with mayo, and we split a little bag of cheddar Sun Chips - he had juice and I had iced tea.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #56
Senior Cook

I have late duty, so for me at lunchtime I have 2 slices of toast , glass of juice and a big mug of expresso coffee.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #57
Master Chef

Quote:

Things are getting a little fishy around here.

You have to have a dill pickle with a tuna sandwich.... or any sandwich.

For dinner (off-topic), it's a shrimp cocktail .... baked salmon fillet and roasted potatoes.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 AM   #58
Head Chef

Quote:

Because I had that for dinner the other night and put the idea in everyone's mind.

"Bag Lunch. It was tasty, brought back memories. Tuna sandwich, potato chips, dill pickle, side salad and a coke."
Old 04-19-2009, 12:43 AM   #59
Master Chef

Orange chicken and white rice.

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 02:06 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefallin1309 View Post
We had the same problem in Florida, we found only 2 places that were good ... one a little hole in the wall place called Le May's ... it had about 3 tables inside, that's how small it was ... but possibly the best pizza ever
I think that's the key - the best places are often the small, hole-in-the-wall, one-of-a-kind local hangouts And I agree with you about the sauce - for me, that makes the pizza.