"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2019, 10:03 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
What did you have for supper Saturday, 2019-10-05?

We had store bought tortellini with a red pepper pesto sauce. Dessert was a plum "porridge" with cream. It was a Danish recipe.

Old 10-05-2019, 10:41 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

I made something new from a cookbook of recipes from one of my favorite murder mystery series. It's called the Whole Enchilada Pie, and it is good! We'll definitely have this again... because I have enough leftovers for another meal. Plan on making it again, too.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191005_223633869.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	36915

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Leftyover "Super Woman" beef and veggie stir fry with orange-scented rice (see Friday's what did you have for supper thread).
Old 10-06-2019, 12:19 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I made something new from a cookbook of recipes from one of my favorite murder mystery series. It's called the Whole Enchilada Pie, and it is good! We'll definitely have this again... because I have enough leftovers for another meal. Plan on making it again, too.
Attachment 36915
That looks tasty. Is there tomato in it? If not, would you please post the recipe?
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Dinner last night was 3 rustic galettes. Two were grape tomatoes, thinly sliced basil, fresh moz, thinly sliced garlic, some shredded Parm R. The third was a blackberry one for dessert. It's a recipe I got from the TV show Cooking with Julia (Childs) years ago but I don't remember the guest chef whose recipe it was. No pics from the savory ones, they got eaten too fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2019-10-05 20.26.54.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	36916  
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 AM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That looks tasty. Is there tomato in it? If not, would you please post the recipe?
I would like to know your recipe as well. I did find one on the web that looks good.

https://comfortablefood.com/recipe/whole-enchilada-pie/

Last night was pool night and rather than the usual take out pizza, I volunteered to make veggie burritos. Also made beer battered onion rings and French fries since my friend was hosting and he has a big fancy kitchen with a built in deep fryer.

I remember why I don’t make burritos that oven as it’s a lot of work making the cilantro lime rice, black beans, pico de Gallo, grated cheese, chopped cilantro, sautéed onions and peppers, and guacamole. Fortunately my wife/daughter helped with the meal.
bbqcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
The third was a blackberry one for dessert. It's a recipe I got from the TV show Cooking with Julia (Childs) years ago but I don't remember the guest chef whose recipe it was.
That looks great! Wish I could have some.
Old 10-06-2019, 03:21 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

medtran, that galette looks so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
It was tasty, taxy. There is tomato - both in 1/3 cup picante sauce (or salsa) and a 10-ounce can of enchilada sauce. I did find several recipes for no-tomato enchilada sauce like this one: Easiest From-Scratch No-Tomato Enchilada Sauce BTW taxy, the recipe link that bbqcoder posted is pretty much the one I used. See my comments to him below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
I would like to know your recipe as well. I did find one on the web that looks good.

https://comfortablefood.com/recipe/whole-enchilada-pie/....
Other than totally stealing the mystery writer's recipe, saying you got it from your Mom, and swapping salsa for the original recipe's picante sauce, that is the recipe I used, bbq. I read the comments below the recipe. While a few people called the OP out for stealing the recipe and not crediting the mystery writer, the OP still hasn't mended the error of her ways. Still, it is a killer recipe.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 05:28 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:

Other than totally stealing the mystery writer's recipe, saying you got it from your Mom, and swapping salsa for the original recipe's picante sauce, that is the recipe I used, bbq. I read the comments below the recipe. While a few people called the OP out for stealing the recipe and not crediting the mystery writer, the OP still hasn't mended the error of her ways. Still, it is a killer recipe.
The recipe seems to be one we will enjoy so, stolen or not, I'll be making this..

Ross
Old 10-06-2019, 07:56 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
medtran, that galette looks so good.

It was tasty, taxy. There is tomato - both in 1/3 cup picante sauce (or salsa) and a 10-ounce can of enchilada sauce. I did find several recipes for no-tomato enchilada sauce like this one: Easiest From-Scratch No-Tomato Enchilada Sauce BTW taxy, the recipe link that bbqcoder posted is pretty much the one I used. See my comments to him below.

Thanks for those links. I think I can make the enchilada pie and leave out the salsa or maybe find a recipe for one with no tomatoes. That enchilada sauce does look easy. If I like it, that will be very useful.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Italian pot roast over penne with green beans and focaccia. Click image for larger version

Name:	1005192041a.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	36946
Old 10-09-2019, 05:02 AM   #12
Senior Cook

The Italian pot roast looks great GG!
Old 10-09-2019, 09:15 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqcoder View Post
The Italian pot roast looks great GG!
Thanks! It's delicious. A great way to welcome soup and stew season.

Tags
supper