What do you buy at the store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chelli

Assistant Cook
hey guys, I am doing some research for school right, wonder if anyone will be willing to spend like 5 mins to list what you normally buy from the grocery store for that 1 main trip to it. And if you can state how big ur family is, that would be great. I am basically trying to find out the overall proportion of what people buy. Thank you

"1 main trip to it" I make several trips. What proportions are you looking for? Like a family of 4 buys X amount every X weeks?

It's just my husband and me and our three cats. We shop every two weeks as that is how my paycheck runs.
We typically by two loaves of bread, a half gallon of milk, half a dozen eggs, a 3lb tub of butter every other or two months, 3 lbs of chicken drumsticks (once a month), 5.5 lbs hamburger (every other month), 3lbs boneless chicken breast, frozen veggies as needed, juices and soda, 3 or 4 bags of chips and then the little odds and ends like hot cocoa, tea, cat food and litter, sugar, flour, jello, pudding, etc.
Hope this helps!!

"1 main trip to it" I make several trips. What proportions are you looking for? Like a family of 4 buys X amount every X weeks?

I am interested to find out, on average, how much do people buy, and what are the common items they purchase.

As a single person, the store trips are short and normally pretty small in the return. I have the common pantry items, will get soups/canned goods, stuff for the freezer, but hardly anything perishable. Buying/preparing/cooking dinner for one person is really more of a pain then anything,and it is much easier(though perhaps not as healthy) to get take out.

hey guys, I am doing some research for school right, wonder if anyone will be willing to spend like 5 mins to list what you normally buy from the grocery store for that 1 main trip to it. And if you can state how big ur family is, that would be great. I am basically trying to find out the overall proportion of what people buy. Thank you

celery, carrots, potatoes and onions
ground beef, chicken, pork
bread, eggs, butter, milk
veggies, fresh, frozen and canned
tortillas
tomato sauce

cooking for one or two

I make several trips. I live in an area where there are plenty of markets near my home, and on the way home from work.

I shop/cook for a family of 3 though I make portions for 4. (hardly a difference)

Mostly, once a week (sometimes slightly less than or more than a week, depending on what I'm cooking) I'll buy dairy (milk and eggs and butter), bread and chicken for freezing.

I'll buy the side ingredients for my dishes as needed, or a day before the desired meal.

I usually buy my porks/beefs (non-chicken items) every few days, or in my main "weekly" trip, depending on what I think I'll be cooking, and the sale prices. Cravings also effect the frequency of these purchases.

Overall, I can usually anticipate a trip to the market every couple of days.

If I buy groceries for the week, I noticed that I get overwhelmed when I open the cupboard, so many options, but I can't put a single meal together. Less is more. ;)

If this is for research for school, I would think you'd want to define the parameters a little bit, like how much, how often, etc... Your question as it stands it pretty open-ended.
When we go on a big trip we buy meat (on sale items), milk, eggs, butter, and depending on the pantry supply/what's on hand: potatoes, rice, produce, and other items like spices (if they are on sale), crackers, cereal, vegetable oil, honey, etc...

I get to town once a week, each week, I get 1 gallon milk, 1 big sandwich size loaf of bread, 1 head of lettuce, 1-2 tomatoes, a bag of chips, pretzels or party mix, Every other week I get a pack of sliced cheese, a box of cereal, a pint of sour cream, 1 orange juice. At least once a month I get 1 dozen eggs, 3 lbs. sandwich ham, 1 bag of candy, 10 lbs. hamburger, 6 chicken breasts, a pack of rice, a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, a bag of shredded mozzerella cheese. And I am cooking for two.

since i shop on line at a local store, only once a month, i really can't help. the list is simply to long. meals for me, company, birthdays, etc must all be bought for. sorry

If this is for research for school, I would think you'd want to define the parameters a little bit, like how much, how often, etc... Your question as it stands it pretty open-ended.
When we go on a big trip we buy meat (on sale items), milk, eggs, butter, and depending on the pantry supply/what's on hand: potatoes, rice, produce, and other items like spices (if they are on sale), crackers, cereal, vegetable oil, honey, etc...

Yeah, you're right... i mean, so far, everyones listed the how often, which is really helpful. price is not really an issue, i am looking more of the quantity aspect. But thanks for all the replys so far!

I get to town once a week, each week, I get 1 gallon milk, 1 big sandwich size loaf of bread, 1 head of lettuce, 1-2 tomatoes, a bag of chips, pretzels or party mix, Every other week I get a pack of sliced cheese, a box of cereal, a pint of sour cream, 1 orange juice. At least once a month I get 1 dozen eggs, 3 lbs. sandwich ham, 1 bag of candy, 10 lbs. hamburger, 6 chicken breasts, a pack of rice, a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, a bag of shredded mozzerella cheese. And I am cooking for two.

One dozen eggs a month? Wowsers. Alone I had 3 scrambled for dinner last night.

I had such an excited feeling when I left the market yesterday. I got the necessities for a few meals (meat for meatloaf, 3 chicken dinners, and some pork for stew), and some school lunch items along with eggs and milk and pancake mix. I even bought some marshmallows for cocoa. It felt great. Usually I'm depressed when I leave the market, not much bang for the buck it seems...but man. I had a trunk full of groceries, planned meals, and only spent $50.

I still need to get into the 99 cent only store and pick up a few dollar items...but I'd say I'm good.

Cooking for two..

I buy canned goods in sets of three. Unless I get it from Costco, then
in units of 6, generally.
I buy meat in quantity, usually 3-5 pounds and divide to freeze. Must be on sale.
Eggs a dozen at a time.
Diet Coke on sale.. 10 at a time if the price is right!
Butter a pound at a time unless it is on sale, then 3.
Bread.. not too often, as little as is needed. One loaf.
Cooking oil, gallon from Costco.
Milk, usually a pint, just for cooking.
Cheese, cheddar, extra sharp.. 3-4 blocks if on sale
Cheese, other.. 1 package as needed.
Cereals... none.
Rice, pasta.... 1 package as needed,usually on sale size.
Packaged sides... in 3's, unless on sale, then up to 10.
Coffee, 1 can at a time.
Spices, small containers, as needed, 1 at a time.
(Except for Korean chili for kimchee, 5 pounds at a time.)

So if I am just shopping and it comes off a shelf, no special storage
needed, not on sale... I usually get it in threes or large size.
It depends very much on what is on sale or what I find in the quick sale
markdown areas. I do stock up when I can.

One dozen eggs a month? Wowsers. Alone I had 3 scrambled for dinner last night.

Well lets see, I eat cereal every morning and DH don't eat breakfast, except maybe a couple times a month I make him eggs and bacon, and the best thing about that is the bacon so it only takes 1-2 eggs. Now if I do alot of baking it might take another dozen a month.

lunchmeat, cheese, & snacks & drinks for jake's lunches, & stuff we both like or i like fresh meats, citterio fresco meats, dietz & watson meats, cheeses, juices, pop, stouffer's meals like macaroni & cheese with broccoli, fruits, especially ones i haven't seen before, & honeycrisp apples!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lots of veggies & ground meat.

Back
Top Bottom