"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What do you buy at the store?

hey guys, I am doing some research for school right, wonder if anyone will be willing to spend like 5 mins to list what you normally buy from the grocery store for that 1 main trip to it. And if you can state how big ur family is, that would be great. I am basically trying to find out the overall proportion of what people buy. Thank you

Old 10-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Head Chef

"1 main trip to it" I make several trips. What proportions are you looking for? Like a family of 4 buys X amount every X weeks?

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #3
Sous Chef

It's just my husband and me and our three cats. We shop every two weeks as that is how my paycheck runs.
We typically by two loaves of bread, a half gallon of milk, half a dozen eggs, a 3lb tub of butter every other or two months, 3 lbs of chicken drumsticks (once a month), 5.5 lbs hamburger (every other month), 3lbs boneless chicken breast, frozen veggies as needed, juices and soda, 3 or 4 bags of chips and then the little odds and ends like hot cocoa, tea, cat food and litter, sugar, flour, jello, pudding, etc.
Hope this helps!!
Old 10-28-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
"1 main trip to it" I make several trips. What proportions are you looking for? Like a family of 4 buys X amount every X weeks?
I am interested to find out, on average, how much do people buy, and what are the common items they purchase.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM   #5
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
As a single person, the store trips are short and normally pretty small in the return. I have the common pantry items, will get soups/canned goods, stuff for the freezer, but hardly anything perishable. Buying/preparing/cooking dinner for one person is really more of a pain then anything,and it is much easier(though perhaps not as healthy) to get take out.
Old 10-28-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelli View Post
hey guys, I am doing some research for school right, wonder if anyone will be willing to spend like 5 mins to list what you normally buy from the grocery store for that 1 main trip to it. And if you can state how big ur family is, that would be great. I am basically trying to find out the overall proportion of what people buy. Thank you

celery, carrots, potatoes and onions
ground beef, chicken, pork
bread, eggs, butter, milk
veggies, fresh, frozen and canned
tortillas
tomato sauce

cooking for one or two
Old 10-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I make several trips. I live in an area where there are plenty of markets near my home, and on the way home from work.

I shop/cook for a family of 3 though I make portions for 4. (hardly a difference)

Mostly, once a week (sometimes slightly less than or more than a week, depending on what I'm cooking) I'll buy dairy (milk and eggs and butter), bread and chicken for freezing.

I'll buy the side ingredients for my dishes as needed, or a day before the desired meal.

I usually buy my porks/beefs (non-chicken items) every few days, or in my main "weekly" trip, depending on what I think I'll be cooking, and the sale prices. Cravings also effect the frequency of these purchases.

Overall, I can usually anticipate a trip to the market every couple of days.

If I buy groceries for the week, I noticed that I get overwhelmed when I open the cupboard, so many options, but I can't put a single meal together. Less is more. ;)
Old 10-28-2009, 05:29 PM   #8
Head Chef

If this is for research for school, I would think you'd want to define the parameters a little bit, like how much, how often, etc... Your question as it stands it pretty open-ended.
When we go on a big trip we buy meat (on sale items), milk, eggs, butter, and depending on the pantry supply/what's on hand: potatoes, rice, produce, and other items like spices (if they are on sale), crackers, cereal, vegetable oil, honey, etc...

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I get to town once a week, each week, I get 1 gallon milk, 1 big sandwich size loaf of bread, 1 head of lettuce, 1-2 tomatoes, a bag of chips, pretzels or party mix, Every other week I get a pack of sliced cheese, a box of cereal, a pint of sour cream, 1 orange juice. At least once a month I get 1 dozen eggs, 3 lbs. sandwich ham, 1 bag of candy, 10 lbs. hamburger, 6 chicken breasts, a pack of rice, a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, a bag of shredded mozzerella cheese. And I am cooking for two.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

since i shop on line at a local store, only once a month, i really can't help. the list is simply to long. meals for me, company, birthdays, etc must all be bought for. sorry