What do you cook when it's too hot to turn the oven on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is an MFK Fisher I've been meaning to "shock" freinds with. I call summer soup. Get some great broth (mine's in the freezer that I made awhile ago, but if you have a canned or frozen one you can buy, go for it). Heat it up. Place on the table any of the following, and any you think of:

Chopped tomatoes
Chopped herbs
Chiffonaded spinach, lettuce, chard -- any kind of greens
Chicken or turkey, thinly sliced (can be either yours or from the deli)
Any veggies you like, lightly steamed (again, do it in the morning or cool hours of the night before, then refrigerate, or, heaven forbid, use frozen and micro-thaw)
I like some kind of hot sauce, peppers, etc

Everyone takes a bowl of the hot broth, then adds the ingredients they like. It takes on a hot/cold aspect, is very light.

Hints for hot weather:

You can cook veggies, especially potatoes, to the point where they are almost done, then just finish them in the oven, stovetop, or on the grill. This is where the microwave oven shines. You can quickly bring foods up to temperature, and really cut down on the cooking time. Most of us don't like foods microwaved from beginning to end, but no matter what some will tell you, I've yet to meet someone who could tell that I micro-baked a potato until it was almost done, then sliced and fried it, or baked it for 10 minutes on a high oven heat, or stuck it on a grill. No matter what you're cooking, get it hot in the microwave first, then you'll have less time that you need to have the stove on.

If you're an early riser or insomniac, use that time to cook things you can use later in the day. I often boil pasta, cook rice, etc, at the weird hours when most are asleep and it is reasonably cool outside. Then turn them into something else for dinner.

I really feel for some who have to cook for spouses who somehow think they haven't eaten if it isn't a heavy, meat, starch and 2 vegs dinner. I often serve just a simple pasta salad (as I said, pasta cooked in the cool hours of the day) for us.

Entertaining: A couple of weeks ago I had a few friends over for ... well, what would you call it? Late lunch, early dinner? We sat in my (not A/C) front parlor, and ate a cold meal. I suppose some would have wondered when the real food was coming out, but all loved it. I put out various relish/deli trays and everyone was happy for the light food.

As someone already said, when you fire up the grill cook a LOT of food. Chicken breasts and steaks can be refrigerated or frozen, then used in salads. Grill tons of veggies (I've been preaching this for years) that have been brushed in olive oil and seasoned with your favorite. Hubby and Mom call this "Claire's ratatouille". The leftovers can be tossed with pasta or rice, tossed in broth for soup, etc.

Too hot to light the oven

I use a convection oven and cook everything that an oven will handle

really hot days are great for salads of all types. use the microwave to cook pasta or wild rice quickly or just make some couscous (great in a salad) lots of julienned zucchini and cucumber, tomato, tuna and or shrimp, cheese, olives, crusty bread,. ready cooked bacon for BLTs etc. the possibilities are endless.

When the weather is hot and steamy, we have cold plates often. I make fresh potato salad and serve it with rolled slices of thin ham, turkey, etc - cubes or slices of cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and some type of cracker - and iced tea. It hits the spot and the potato salad is all I make - and could be picked up at the deli in a pinch (except we like my own much better).

licia said:
When the weather is hot and steamy, we have cold plates often. I make fresh potato salad and serve it with rolled slices of thin ham, turkey, etc - cubes or slices of cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and some type of cracker - and iced tea. It hits the spot and the potato salad is all I make - and could be picked up at the deli in a pinch (except we like my own much better).

i love to make plates to snack on throughout the day or for dinner. (lol, i just read that; i don't snack on plates. glass, china, ceramic.... none of them are easily digestible.... i snack on the FOOD on the plates.:LOL: :-p )
i like things like salami, baked ham, turkey, cheeses, olives, garlic cloves in olive oil or pickled garlic, cherry tomatoes and fresh mozzarella in olive oil, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers in olive oil, sharp provolone and proscuitto-stuffed cherry peppers, etc. that's another thing. i love proscuitto. and bresoala, w/ a little lemon, olive oil and black pepper. and pepperoni....
i just get my stuff at the store. 'cept for the pickled garlic. i make that at home. it's only $6.99/lb. for anything on the antipasto bar and it's all delicious. i have yet to be diappointed with any of it.

Last edited:
This recipe is very good the second and third day and for those with the know how, I bet they can find the ingredient that it seems to be missing. Maybe something crunchy? Not really sure.

Sesame Chicken Pasta Salad

Prep Time: approx. 20 Minutes. Cook Time: approx. 10 Minutes. Ready in: approx. 30 Minutes. Makes 6 servings.

1 (12 ounce) package
radiatore pasta
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/4 cup salad oil
3/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine vinegar

3 1/2 tablespoons sugar – I used Splenda and was great
2 cups cubed, cooked chicken
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup coarsely chopped
green onion
4 cups torn fresh spinach leaves

Directions

1 Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.

2 Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in sesame seeds and cook until golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Pour dressing into a sealable container, and set aside.

3 In a large bowl, mix together pasta, cooked chicken, and 1 cup dressing (reserve remaining dressing). Cover salad, and refrigerate at least 6 hours.

4 Directly before serving, stir in parsley, green onions, and spinach. Toss with remaining dressing, if desired.

Last edited:
SpiceUmUp

SpiceUmUp said:
My mother used to make a dish with broad egg noddles, chopped veggies and cottage cheese that I loved as a child.

do you have the recipe or do you just 'wing' it? Sound like something they haven't had yet. Really sounds healthy too. Your mom knew how to do the right thing. Thanks

In the Kitchen said:
do you have the recipe or do you just 'wing' it? Sound like something they haven't had yet. Really sounds healthy too. Your mom knew how to do the right thing. Thanks

Mom used Mullers broad egg noddles, usualy she put in radish, scallion, some cucumber and whatever else was available in the fridge. She used about a cup or so of cottage cheese, mixed it all together with the noddles after draining and letting them cool a little.

She also made it with fruit once in a great while. Apples and pears diced small.

The one thing she never put in was mushrooms because they tend to get a little grim looking.

Thanks

These are such great responses. My brain must be on the heat that I don't know or get incentive to fix anything. I am amazed to get all these ideas. Just so I can find them again I am printing out to use for the rest of the summer. Hearing the a/c running so much really bothers me. My brother told me when we were little we never even knew about air. That is why he still doesn't have one. I just hope he doesn't have to move in with the rest of us. He will remind us regularly of the good ole days. But sure is funny how he likes to eat the stuff I fix when I use the oven. Who wants to cook if you aren't cool? Have daily struggle to keep peace around here. Too many different generations that have to try to get along. One thing, my dogs like the air. They stay inside more than going out. They are the only smart ones. I do so appreciate all your comments and help.

Back
Top Bottom