"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 06-29-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Executive Chef
What do you cook when it's too hot to turn the oven on?

There is heat advisory today supposed to be over 100 and haven't had any rain. Grass like straw and the poor birds are not even eating. What do you cook when it is so hot? I normally bake everything but want to fix something that will not have to be put into oven. Also does someone have good meatloaf recipe they are always fixing? They say will be only in 80's tomorrow, coolfront? I will be able to fix meatloaf tomorrow. Thanks

In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:02 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
when it gets that hot out, i grill. keeps the heat out of the house, and i get to enjoy a few brewskis while i cook. i need to get a bigger baby pool tho.

buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:04 PM   #3
Head Chef
I posted my favorate meatloaf recipe the other day. Here it is again. It's not necessarily low in fat, but when I'm wanting comfort food I usually don't care. I also saw a tip on Paula Deen's show the other day for meatloaf. I have a meatloaf pan so I haven't tried it, but she put 2 pieces of bread on the bottom before baking to absorb all of the grease.

Cheese Meatloaf
2 cups fresh bread crumbs
3/4 cup onion, minced
1/4 cup green pepper, minced
2 eggs
2 lbs. gound beef
2 T. horseradish sauce
1 1/2 t. salt
1 t. mustard
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup catsup
16 or so slices of american cheese

Beat eggs slightly. Add beef and other ingredients except cheese.

Layer with cheese in loaf pan ending with meat on top and serving enough cheese to cover top layer. Bake at 400 for 50 minutes. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Return until cheese melts. Let stand a few minutes before serving.

When it get's hot here, sometimes I will make a big salad with some already made chicken or I will make a huge fruit salad with dipping sauce, but a lot of the time, since I don't have a grill, I will tell the bf to go put on a tank top and sit by the air conditioner and pretend that he is at an expensive spa . He usually doesn't complain because he gets a pretty good meal. We just have to tough it out most of the time if we don't want salad everyday.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 03:45 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Appreciate all your responses. Sounds great buckytom, my kind of meal. But I would have to be the one fixing it and I can't drink while fixing meal. You should get bigger pool than you would really 'have it made'. You always know how to 'enjoy' the moment. The meatloaf will be prepared tomorrow. It is so strange that the whole family orders meatloaf when they go to restaurant. Think they are trying to tell me something? I think they just like to compare different ones. Always different. Can't go wrong with meatloaf and this one really sounds great. Thanks abj. How is your weather? I think I prefer winter.
In the Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:13 PM   #5
Head Chef
The weather here is in the 80's ranny and muggy with a humidity level of at least 80-90. Yuck, it's suppose to be like that for the whole week.

I hope you enjoy the meatloaf if you try it. I have been eating that one since I was a kid. Sometimes I will add a little more green pepper or onion depending on my mood. The cheese I just layer several times so the cheese goes all the way through it. You can determine how much cheese you want in yours as you go along.
Go Sooners
abjcooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #6
Executive Chef
When it gets hot, I like to grill outside as well. The trick, is to cook enough food at one time, and just reheat it later. Grilled chicken is great for this, especially as a Caesar salad. Just reheat a chicken breast and make another Caesar the next day.

Have you tried making a Gazpacho? A cold soup is perfect for hot weather, especially if you have home-grown fresh tomatoes.
Peace, Love, and Vegetable Rights!
Eat Meat and Save the Plants!
AllenOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 10:27 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
When it's that hot I like to fix cold dinners. One of my favorites is a seafood pasta salad.

Rotini pasta
chopped tomatoes
chopped artichoke hearts
chopped hearts of palm
steamed bay scallops
steamed small shrimp
poppyseed dressing (St. Martaan or something like that - round bottle)

Just mix everything together - wonderful.

If I want something with it (but this requires baking) I make my cheesy spoon bread.

Or I will make a gazpacho - requires my Kitchen Aid meat grinder only.

But grilling is a great way to go.

Or I will make bruschetta with feta - or with roasted red peppers and goat cheese - some fruit and cheese to go with it.

If you do a search for meatloaf there have been several threads about everyone's favorite recipe.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
Master Chef
i make sandwiches (cold or grilled, like grilled cheeses), scrambled eggs w/ cream cheese and chives w/ toast, frozen stouffer's meals in the microwave, angelhair w/ pesto, anything that doesn't have to be on the stove for too long.

better yet, i wait for my Dad to grill or smoke some steaks or ribs or chickens outside.
i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
Executive Chef
Order some pizza and pop open a six pack
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:57 AM   #10
Senior Cook
I use the grill, too. But I don't always actually "grill" what I am cooking.

By strategically placing quarry tile on the rods of my gas grill, it can be transformed into an oven. The challenge is in moderating the heat, which can be monitored with an oven thermometer. Other than a bit of scorching, everything to date has come out well.

My new grill has a side burner, so an entire meal can be made outdoors. The effort does involve a lot of beer though...

Curious fellow
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote