"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-20-2004, 10:00 AM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

What do you cook when you don't feel like cooking?

What are some of the easy and quick meals that you make when you don't feel like cooking? I usually get home from work around 7pm. I stop at the supermarket most nights to pickup whatever I need for dinner. Some nights I am just too worn out to think about cooking as I am sure a lot of people are. What do you make on those nights?

For me it is quesadillas. I almost always have tortillas and cheese in the house and there is usually some leftover chicken or ground beef that I can throw in with whatever veggies I have lying around. The take no time to cook and there is not a lot of clean up.

What types of things do you make when you don't feel like making anything?

Old 10-20-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
Sous Chef

60 seconds in the micro for a completed Chuckwagon.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Fritattas...just about anything can go into them & it uses up some leftovers. I also make spaghetti pie with leftover spaghetti(I layer the noodles, sauce, mozzarella cheese, & pepperoni in a casserole dish)& put it in the freezer & if I don't feel like cooking I just thaw it out & bake it in the oven. I also use my crock pot a lot so I don't burn out too quickly on cooking. Sometimes I just open up some cans(I do like dried better but the canned ones aren't too bad) of black eyed peas & heat them up & serve over rice with some corn bread.

As a matter of fact I had some chicken & rice leftover from supper last night & I took the chicken off the bone & added it to the rice along with a can of cream of mushroom soup & put it in the freezer for another night.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:38 AM   #4
Head Chef

Normally pasta.

I keep tortellini or ravioli etc (cheese or spinach kind) in the freezer. On days when I am plain old tired I open a can of tomato sauce and simmer that with some garlic, olive oil and italian seasonings or parsley. I then parboil the pasta and add that to the sauce.

Serve it with some toasted bread and done.

Another quick and fast meal for me are sandwiches. I always keep deli meat and cheese at home. I normally make a toasted sandwich and serve it with some chips, fruit and juice.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:07 AM   #5

I make a tuna fish sandwich. :roll:
Old 10-20-2004, 11:08 AM   #6

I know, but you don't cook that. I would have to say, I like to just cook some pasta and make an easy sauce.......... or I just make some canned soup and throw in some add-ins.. like vegies or meat.
Old 10-20-2004, 11:24 AM   #7
Head Chef

Campbell soup (cream of mushroom or asparagus) and I boil some pasta along with it to avoid having to boil pasta separately. Turns into instant spagetti. :oops:

Another reliable: instant noodles. Very healthy, huh? :roll:
Old 10-20-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Head Chef

We usually fill our deep freeze once a month with frozen foods and dinners from the Schwans Company and that is what I usually prepare on those days that I don't feel like cooking.

Sometimes I'll get in a big cooking mood and I'll fix up a big bunch of meals and then separate and freeze. Then all I have to do when we want something is thaw and heat in oven or microwave.

Another is soup, salad and sandwiches.

- WOODROW WILSON
tweedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:40 AM   #9
Senior Cook

I also have to answer pasta. I always have sausages in the freezer so I'll defrost them in the microwave and broil them. Those are the nights for a jarred sauce. Sometimes I'll just make breakfast for dinner. Sometimes I'll say, "honey, go get a pizza."
Old 10-20-2004, 11:51 AM   #10
Head Chef

What do I make when I don't feel like cooking?

A call to the pizza place!

John