"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-17-2007, 09:24 PM   #31
Cook

Lamingtons are a small block of sponge cake, dipped in a cocoa icing and rolled in coconut. They're often served cut in half with cream and jam inbetween the halves.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:48 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

thanks, Quads. sounds lovely, except no coconut for me, please.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:28 PM   #33
Master Chef

Not having been to Australia myself, I think of the "Shrimp on the Barbie" ad, and also (from people who have lived there), of all things, Indian food. Extra coconut for me!
Old 05-23-2007, 01:42 AM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadlex
Lamingtons are a small block of sponge cake, dipped in a cocoa icing and rolled in coconut. They're often served cut in half with cream and jam inbetween the halves.

This also brings back memories of my Australian exchange student, Sally. I had completely forgotten about lamingtons. Hmmmm.....I should dig out a recipe and try making them sometime.......but I think I will forgo the cream and jam in between the halves.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:06 AM   #35
Head Chef

I always thought lamb was high on the list more then beef
Old 05-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to fireweaver
well, check it out! while looking up to see what the heck "damper" is, i stumbled across the wiki's entire category of "australian cuisine". lots of interesting new stuff in there...
Old 09-14-2007, 06:33 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

On reading this thread i think a good example of Australian cuisine would be Kangaroo Kransky.
We get fresh kangaroo meat sent to a local Polish butcher who then makes these spiced sausages. Sometimes also stuffed with cheese!

Local ingredients used to create dishes inspired by the many migrants who settle in Australia.

"The Kransky is a type of meat sausage, the Oceanic incarnation of an authentic North Slovenian dish - the kranjska klobasa. The name stems from the Slovene name for the Austro-Hungarian province of Carniola, a province that encompassed most of modern Slovenia .It was introduced to Oceania by the many post-war immigrants from Slovenia who arrived in Australia and New Zealand in the 1940's and 1950's. The Kransky is very popular in Australia and New Zealand." (Wikipedia)

Oh and Scallop Pies! :)
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #38
Executive Chef

One thing about Australian food is that it varies greatly depending on where you live, just like America. In Perth, where I live, Asian is a huge influence on our cuisine, especially Japanese and Thai. Chinese cuisine is really only served in Chinese restaurants and a lot of those are trapped in the '70's! Dim Sum/Yum Cha is big in Perth though. Every second restaurant is Italian and features on most menus (incl Asian restaurants). Crocodile and kangaroo also appears on "Australian" menus but are still pretty uncommon. Seafood is huge but the best seafood restaurants are located out of the city, in the burbs.

I live near the wine region, the Swan Valley, and all of their restaurants feature fusion dishes quite heavily, with most having quite interesting combinations. Don't get a lot of basic cooking in the restaurants and cafes any more but I guess would still feature on the home table. Stir fries, pasta, BBQ's, and fresh seafood and salad would be on most people's dinner tables over here.

As someone mentioned, we are blessed with an abundance of fresh produce and really quite a large range of fruit, vegetables and seafood. Getting something "different" over here can be a case for Sherlock but that is probably more to do with the duopoly of supermarkets than anything else.

As all the other Aussies have said you've got Milo, Tim Tams, Lamingtons, Anzac Biscuits, Meat Pies, Koola Cordial, Sausage Rolls, Snakes Alive, Pavlova, Prawn Kebabs, Chiko Rolls, Iced Vovos, Damper, and lots of lamb and crayfish! It is dinner time over here and I am now starving!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:37 AM   #39
Senior Cook

I think of Clinkers, Violet Crumbles, and Solo (the first two being candy, the third being a lemon drink). But I live just over the ditch in New Zealand, so a lot of our food is very similar (no kangaroo, however!)

Those three things, though, you can't buy here, and I stock up whenever I visit :)