"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 05-13-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
Cook

What do you think when you hear Australian Food?

Australia is a fairly young country (As countries go), and we haven't had time to define a food identity for ourselves.

We're only now getting interested in our national produce for reasons other then flavouring (Eucalyptus has been in lollies for years), but we still can't really point to a style of cooking and say "That's ours, we invented that".

Putting together a 'typical' Australian meal can thus be difficult, because there really is no such thing, at least from my perspective as an Aussie cook and citizen.

I'm interested to know what others think Australian food is. What do you imagine a typical family eats for dinner? What do we do for take-out, or fast food? Can you point to a style of dish or cooking and say "That's Australian", or are there any ingredients you think are pure "Down Under"?

(To my fellow citizens: Let's see what the internationals think before we comment, makes it slightly more authentic that way ^_^)

Old 05-13-2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Shrimp on the barbie!

Old 05-13-2007, 11:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Vegemite? Blooming onions?

I suspect that certain regions of Australia have their own style of food preparation using indigenous flora and fauna, just like the U.S. has Cajun and Creole cuisine in Louisiana/Texas/Mississippi, southern fried chicken, New England boiled dinners, and California pizza, whose resemblance to real pizza is purely coincidental.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Damper, Lamingtons. Can't think of any more.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I'd be interested to see what other nationalities think "Australian cusine" is. I find it funny every time I search for a new restaurant to go to and they describe their style as "contemporary/ modern Australian", condisdering that there isn't a traditional version to base on.

I'm sure our friends across the Tasman would like the put their 2 cents in as to which country some recipes origiated from.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Anzac biscuits.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Well, I'll take a stab at it.

Vegemite Sandwiches. Never had one, so I can't comment on it.
Roo?
Lamb?

I'm not sure if there are a lot of Cattle Stations in that part of the world, so I'm not sure which is more popular, beef or lamb.

I do know that there are a lot of Italian immgrants, and as a result, lots of Italian restaurants. And being that close to Asia, I'm sure there are many Asain cuisine influences.

Is there any sort of culinary fusion going on? Pacific Rim, with a smattering of Italian / Greek?
Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 AM   #8
Sous Chef

Outback Steakhouse
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Master Chef

Actually, "The Beautiful Cookbook" series has an absolutely lovely volume on Australia &, like all the books in that series, has gorgeous photography & is a fabulous read on the regional cultures & foods of Australia.

However, without looking at that book, I think the first things that come to my mind when someone mentions Australian cuisine are 1) "Carpetbagger Steak" (steak stuffed with oysters), & 2) roast &/or grilled lamb.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #10
Executive Chef

fish and seafood, citrus , grilled foods, euro/asian fusion,
Classic Ausie like Classic American or Canadian cuisines are the foods and recipes brought by the immigrants and the local food stuffs available. THe food of the pioneers. WHat all this has changed to in the 21 cent is fusion of some type.