What does "from scratch" mean to you??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks again irishtravel1 you mean a lot to me. I am starting to feel very humble by all the comments. It is sure appreciated. May someone be there for you too. Bless you.

I must be blue or something today for revealing so much of my personal life here. I apologize but the beginning of the year always brings memories of times gone by. I thank you for sharing your shoulder with me. I feel better just having someone comment and let me know that they understand. They say it always takes two so why couldn't it have been like that? He always said I was the one unhappy he was okay. May your new year bring you only happiness and good health May the dark clouds be few. Have to remember to be positive. One thing I know no one can control your thoughts. If you feel you are right and not offending anyone you will be able to rise above the circumstance. We have to keep on keepin' on.

In the Kitchen...remember noone can do anything to you without your permission...your opinion of you, is whats important..what makes his opinion right and yours wrong? His need to have power is actually his weakness...people who feel good about themselves have no need to put others down..its usually those who are insecure and weak need to pick on others to make themselves believe they are powerful and better than others..unfortunatly they find someone who is feeling insecure and they know how to take advantage of that, I have a friend still in a bad situation..there is a part of her that believes she deserves it..and as long as she feels that way he can do as he wishes..In the Kitchen..you are no longer there..that puts you light years ahead of others..you are not weak..but actually quite strong as it takes much courage to leave an abusive situation..its not as easy as people may think...give yourself credit everyday and never ever forget to love yourself first.

Coco to me it means no frozen, boxed, canned, or pre-made foods. Everything is prepared using ingredients that you prepare from the beginning to the end. This is the way I always cook, however, I do have on hand several things with which to make sauces, like soy sauce, white vermouth, and some frozen vegies for emergencies. I have a fresh herb garden (parsley, sage, rosemary, thyme, chives, basil) and always have fresh ginger, garlic. I sometimes make my own stock, but keep on hand Imagine or Pacific range free organic chicken stock, vegetable stock.

chez suz said:
In the Kitchen...remember noone can do anything to you without your permission...your opinion of you, is whats important..what makes his opinion right and yours wrong? His need to have power is actually his weakness...people who feel good about themselves have no need to put others down..its usually those who are insecure and weak need to pick on others to make themselves believe they are powerful and better than others..unfortunatly they find someone who is feeling insecure and they know how to take advantage of that, I have a friend still in a bad situation..there is a part of her that believes she deserves it..and as long as she feels that way he can do as he wishes..In the Kitchen..you are no longer there..that puts you light years ahead of others..you are not weak..but actually quite strong as it takes much courage to leave an abusive situation..its not as easy as people may think...give yourself credit everyday and never ever forget to love yourself first.

thanks chez suz your words mean so much. I will always remember. Sorry about your friend. Worries me that someone in that kind of life. Give her as much support and love as you can. Only thing that saved me.

Well, I like to think of myself as a "from scratch" type person, but there are a few "convience foods" that I'll use (and I don't count condiments, except for some mustards).

I like the taste of Campbell's Cream of Chicken and Cream of Mushroom soups. I've made Cream of Mushroom, from scratch, manyh times. I still like the convience of using the canned product, though.

I grew up eating Mac-and-cheese out of the box. I never could get used to homemade, completely from scratch, Mac-and-cheese. Although, I do like to occassionally doctor up a box by adding some canned tuna (maybe I ought to mention that on the "Odd Foods" thread?). My step-sons love boxed Mac-and-cheese.

Another one that my step-sons like as well as I do is Chicken Flavor Ramen Noodles. I know it's full of sodium and such. That's the only "soup" they'll think about eating, as that's how they were brought up from their early years (Grandma always just called it "soup"). To me, it's a quick sand, maybe even lunch with a sandwich.

I have a taste for Ragu Super Chunky Mushroom Garden-style Spaghetti sauce. I don't make pasta from scratch, so "Spaghetti" is definitely NOT made from scratch at my home.

My DW likes to use instant potatoes (bleck!), as well as instant rice. I always make mashed potatoes from fresh potatoes, and I abhor instant rice. Give me Parboiled or Converted any day!

In the Kitchen said:
Barbara, did you post the Lemon Cake Recipe on here someplace? Sounds good. I can fix it now. No one checks the trash unless too full.
It might be under desserts or cakes (or whatever the heck it is!), a few pages back, but if not I will post it as soon as I have the time. I only have a few minutes to read through here really quick tonight.

:) Barbara

Back
Top Bottom