What does your family like to have for Christmas dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SierraCook

Master Chef
My family likes to have ham for Christmas dinner. We also have fruit salad, scalloped potatoes, a vegetable side dish, rolls, etc.

Ham

Roast Beef

Turkey

Pork

Other

As with Thanksgiving; I will cook whatever my family wants me to cook. We have had a big Chinese dinner a few times, Mexican food a few times, Prime rib and seafood is another fav and of course turkey and/or a ham with all the trimmings, if that is what they want. It makes me happy to be able to cook whatever they really want.

When my parents lived here and we had family Christmas gatherings it was nearly always baked ham, scalloped potatoes, some sort of green vegetable and dinner rolls. Mom always forgot to set the timer so it was a standing joke about her burned rolls. :) And for some reason she only served butter (as opposed to margarine) on holidays.

Personally I'd rather have roast beef.

Last edited:
It won't let me pick more than one. If we are doing just a small dinner its turkey only. If there are lots of us we add in a ham.

Turkey, ham and tamales are at our Christmas table. Sometimes Salvadorian tamales other times Mexican tamales. Depends which family we're with.

Well, I voted for roast beef, since we will ALWAYS have prime rib for Christmas if one of us has been given a gift certificate to a butcher shop during the year ( a great gift for a family of cooks, BTW).

But otherwise, we will alternate prime rib with a bone-in pork loin roast, which we all like, too.

Lee

Standing rib roast.

At least that is what we have been having for many years.

Then will buy a few more beef bones and make a French onion soup for New Year's.

I have everyone over for Christmas Eve supper. It's more of a causal meal. It's either chili or sloppy joes or I will make a couple of different kinds of soups. I also will have lots of appetizers and desserts. I am happy to say that we will all spend Christmas day at our son David's home. :)

Dina said:
Turkey, ham and tamales are at our Christmas table. Sometimes Salvadorian tamales other times Mexican tamales. Depends which family we're with.

Yummm! Tamales!

I usually have Christmas and my family likes gravy - what we call pasta sauce. Last year I made stuffed shells, meatballs, brioccole, sausage. DH is from TX and he and his family aren't "pasta" people - he informed me that if I make gravy this year he is buying a ham for himself, which I think is rude, but whatever. I would love to make a stuffed tenderloin or prime rib, but both my parents and his parents like their beef to be cooked to the consistency of shoe leather and I just cannot bring myself to do that! I am leaning towards a pork roast - I plan on watching the threads for some good ideas!

Christmas day usually brings either a prime rib,tenderloin or a beef wellington...Then of course comes the ravioli, artichokes with the garlic,parsley butter, if it's prime rib, it's baked potatoes, if it's wellington or tenderloin it's garlic mashed potatoes, garbanzo beans, spinach salad, fruit salad or a napa cabbage salad, sauteed mushroom,homemade rolls, before hand foccacia, salami,cheese, torta, stuffed onions and zucchini,oilves,peppers,pickles, stuffed celery, desserts, cheesecake,cream puffs and some type of pie..A big ol combo of the favorites of two combined famlies:LOL:

kadesma, really wanting to shake things up and do something different...

My mom makes each of our favorite appetizers and then shrimp and cookies. So kind of an "other" vote.

I alternate each year between a turkey and a goose.

Served with all the traditional British trimmings, chipolatas wrapped in bacon, roasted potatoes (cooked in goose fat), roasted parsnips, brussel sprouts, carrots and petit pois and with bread sauce, stuffing and giblet gravy.

Pudding is home-made Christmas pudding served with hard sauce and double cream.

Christmas is a major family event in Greece. So it goes without saying that my mother-in-law will be the chef for the day. Every year, our Christmas menu will include the traditional stuffed turkey. The stuffing is made out of chopped turkey liver and heart, chestnut, raisins etc. The bird is cooked in a big pot rather than oven-roasted. A minimum amount of liquid is utilised and after the bird is cooked and removed from the pot, the liquid is used to make soup flavoured with egg and lemon sauce. There is also pork steaks from homegrown pigs that are usually grilled over the coals in the fireplace in addition to a salad from seasonal greens, wild or homegrown. Yours truly will bake Christmas cookies like Melomakarona, Kourabiedes, fruit cake and the not to be missed Christopsomo (Christmas bread).

Because its usually hot we often have cold seafood- prawns, crab maybe some smoked salmon and salads with fresh bread rolls. I like Christmas pudding with Brandy cream for dessert.

It has been interesting to read what everyone is having for Christmas dinner. It is nice to see some non-traditional dinner choices. I remember once when my mom planned a potluck for Christmas dinner. She baked a ham and everyone else bought the side dishes. All the other family members loved it, because nobody was stuck with the majority of the cooking. My grandmother literally hit the roof because we where not having the traditional sit down dinner.

My sister has gotten into cooking the past few years, so we usually make something together, that she hasn't done before. This year she's chosen a Beef Tenderloin, but I don't know what we're doing with it.

Our family tradition was pretty much to have anything BUY turkey, since we'd just had that at Thanksgiving, but otherwise, no set traditional dish.

Back
Top Bottom