"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-08-2006, 11:40 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
mine has little assoc with childhood, but centered more around quick and easy that you can curl up in front of the TV and just take your time with and enjoy.

one of mine is Mashed potatoe with plenty added cheese melted in it, served in a bowl that I eat with my index finger (fingers were made before Knives and forks!).

I like plain boiled rice in a bowl too with a Large chunk of salted butter on the top (use a fork).

Natchos chilis and melted cheese is my other usual.

as for Beer, that`s a Staple part of my diet anyway :-P

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 11:44 AM   #12
Head Chef

Chili with cornbread would have to be a big one for me. Not so much from my childhood as since I learned to make good chili. Homemade bread too. Now if only I could combine them into some sort of chili sandwich it would be the ULTIMATE comfort food!

Old 09-08-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Head Chef

I am ashamed to admit that I like chili sandwich, vagriller. Its incredibly messy, its not culinarilly sophisticated and its not nutritionally good. But its how the last scrape left over from a big vat of winter chili gets used. I am amazed at what I'll admit to online, but, its best if the chili is cold. Yes, I eat cold leftover Chinese food and pizza too. I deserve to be shot, but I like it!
Old 09-08-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
Here is the Wikpedia definition which I felt was pretty accurate.
Thanks for the web site. I put it in my favorites. I think their definition is right on.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:52 AM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
I am ashamed to admit that I like chili sandwich, vagriller. Its incredibly messy, its not culinarilly sophisticated and its not nutritionally good. But its how the last scrape left over from a big vat of winter chili gets used. I am amazed at what I'll admit to online, but, its best if the chili is cold. Yes, I eat cold leftover Chinese food and pizza too. I deserve to be shot, but I like it!
Wow, I was kidding! I didn't know there was such a thing. Let me try again. Lulu, have you ever had chili cheesecake?

BTW, cold pizza is the best! Don't know about cold chinese though.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
Executive Chef

I'm with YT2095. To me, it's something I can eat curled up on the couch under a blanket that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Mac & Cheese, long fat macaroni with tomato juice and cheese, mashed potatoes with butter and gravy.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

"Comfort food" is always going to be different - like snowflakes - because every human being has different views & experiences of what foods they associate with "comfort" while growing up.

One person's tomato soup & grilled cheese sandwich might make another person gag at the thought. Vice versa for that person's mac & cheese.

My "comfort foods" were/are Goodman's Noodle Soup (with that cute little seasoning "egg", that my mom always let me drop in); english muffins with butter & cream cheese; "Fleetchkee" (spelled phonetically) - a Czech dish of baked noodles & cheese with diced ham; & spanish garlic soup (once I got a bit older).

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I remember best.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 PM   #18
Head Chef

Some of the things I loved most that mom used to make were the simplest. French bread pizza, nachos, etc. I still make the nachos on occasion. My wife loves them!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:16 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
comfort food to me is the concept of going back into
time mentally, when my grandma was still alive, and she would be cooking her specail dishes, that know one else could make like her.:)
Old 09-08-2006, 01:28 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
"what mom made when I was sick"... still today I reach out for it when I'm ill or just feeling down.

Chicken soup
and
vanilla ice cream.

( brownies and warm chocolate pudding don't hurt either)