"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 10-01-2006, 07:35 AM   #41
Senior Cook
My grandparents lived in the middle of an orange grove, and if any one of the grandchildren was sick while visiting them, my grandfather provided a supply of fresh-squeezed orange juice. One pint every hour. Delivered with the order, "Drink this NOW!" (He believed that if you dawdled, much of the beneficial stuff would oxidize and disappear.)

TexanFrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #42
Senior Cook
Comfort food to me is my mom's mac and cheese, made with good old Vermont cheddar and a piece of apple pie to follow!

marigeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:53 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
For me, comfort food is something that takes me to a warm, secure place. Like tat said, warm and fuzzy. Comfort food can be a variety of things for me depending on the kind of comfort I need. One time it could be roast beef with gravy and mashed potatoes. Another time it might be the most decadent chocolate ice cream sundae. Still another could be a huge pot of split pea soup. The smell alone of that soup makes me feel good.

One of my comfort foods is Coquille St. Jacques because whenever I make it I'm taken back to a heavenly weekend my husband and I spent in Ocean City, Maryland. It was in the winter and there was wind and cold and icy weather.

The dinner was Coquille St. Jacques prepared perfectly and we spent the evening dancing and having a wonderful time. We went for a walk on the beach after dinner and froze our behinders off, but it was wonderful. It was one of those magical weekends where we fell in love with each other all over again. I still remember it like it was yesterday.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #44
Sous Chef
Food that comforts...

Something that is easy to eat, and doesn't overly spike my tastebuds or thought-process. If I'm working to open edamame pods or actively thinking about an interesting combination of brave flavors I'm not in that mode to receive. If I have a piece of braised beef falling apart in my mouth or creamy tomato soup oozing down my throat I'm usually in a state of mindless relaxation.

I suppose it's different from person to person.

Nick ~ "Egg whites are good for a lot of things; lemon meringue pie, angel food cake, and clogging up radiators." - MacGyver
Nicholas Mosher is offline   Reply With Quote