What Food Gifts Have You Sent Or Received For the Holidays?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
This is turning out to be a food-gifting Xmas for me - lol!!

Sent my parents Impromptu Gourmet's 6-month Gift Plan, the first meal of which (rack of lamb, 2 veggie sides, & a round multi-grain bread loaf, along with a free bonus of two crab-stuffed lobster tails) they received today. Every other month from now thru next October they'll get another different nice meal to enjoy or have on hand in the freezer.

Also sent my brother & sister-in-law a Burger's Smokehouse gift box of a smoked pheasant, a smoked duck, & several smoked quail.

And finally, sent an aunt & some of my friends Wolfermann's English Muffins & Preserves gift baskets.

Anyone else doing a "foodie" Xmas? :)

We have also sent out some Wolfermann's baskets to relatives in Kansas. Most of the food gifts we have sent out have been things my mom and I have made ourselves. I gave a small plate to the UPS delivery man, yesterday. He had been to our house 3 days in a row. So, my mom and I made him a plate of fudge, chocolate covered cherries, cookies, etc. Usually, I take a big platter over to work, but due to the snowy weather I have not been able to get there.

I sent a package to my MIL for her BD (12-28) from Omaha steaks. This is the first time I've used this company. Previously used Harry and David and Edible Bouquets.

I've made a few food gifts...cookies and candies but have never sent anything from a company...

Other than for the kids this year it has been all food gifts for everyone! Most being home made. I thought it would save on spending a bit but I guess I was wrong! over 50.00 on ingredients, over 60.00 on shipping and that doesn't even include the hours spent on actually doing the work!......I really hope the treats don't get thrown out!!:wacko:
And I haven't even started my baking yet for those who live near me! I must admit that I have been enjoying it though! ;)

I like to share with folks food items from my region--NE Ohio or Ohio in general.

Bev Shaffer is the culinary director and teacher at the Mustard Seed Market and Café Cooking Schools. My favorite cookbook of hers is “BROWNIES to die for” and I have taken a bread boule class with her and Brian.

Fowler’s Mill was built in 1834 and is still using the old stone ground method of milling whole grain into flour. It is located in Chardon, Ohio and is about a half hour from my house. See http://www.fowlermill.com/index.html I have sent some of their old-fashioned Buttermilk Pancake/Waffle Mix. It is a very good product and I have gone to Fowler’s Mill to buy specialty flours when I wanted to bake bread.

Burton, Ohio is also about a half hour from my house and is famous for their pancake breakfasts and maple syrup. The quaint wooden shack in the middle of town is still where the maple syrup is made and sold. See Burton, Ohio at http://www.burtonchamberofcommerce.org/site/default.php
I have sent folks maple syrup grade a and for real foodies--grade b (better for baking) and even maple sugar candy.

Ohio is also famous for popcorn. Covered Bridge Gardens is one of many Ohio popcorn growers. They sell blue and yellow popcorn on the cob. These ears can be popped in the microwave and come with bags to do so. Mr. Prochko, the owner is a very sweet man.
See http://www.localharvest.org/farms/M15513
Csiga noodles are an egg noodle traditionally put into chicken soup. My grandma use to make them and my mom remembers watching her as a little girl. See http://www.homelandfoodsonline.com/hungarian.html Ohio has a large Hungarian immigrant population and Cleveland is very much a melting pot. There is a company in Toledo that still makes Hungarian noodles.
See. http://cleveland.about.com/od/livingincleveland/tp/ethnicheritage.htm
I will share more in another post.

More on Ohio:
Land O’ Lakes Butter has a plant in Kent, Ohio and has ties to this dairy state. They have some lovely cookbooks and cookie cutters for sale.

Olympia Golden Gourmet Pecan Almond Crunch and their other gourmet popcorn crunches are wonderful. It is a local candy company. See http://www.olympiacandy.com/OCStat_Page.asp?ContentPage_ID=8 or http://www.olympiacandy.com/
They have been a Cleveland institution since 1911.
The best candy ever in Cleveland: Mitchell's Fine Candies. They did business with my father and grandfather who were candy wholesalers. Now Mitchell's is a second generation candy store. They make the best Dark Chocolate Australian Apricots ever!!!!!
See Fresh Gourmet Chocolates Online Gourmet Dark Chocolates Fine Gourmet Chocolate Truffles Fine Candies

And finally, my friend is really persnickety about coffee. Carl Jones is so crazy about doing coffee right, he even sends it to Italy (he has a retail and wholesale business). I love their Blue Moon blend and drink a cup every day.
See Fresh Roasted Coffee at PhoenixCoffee.com
I guess I will have to send more info in another post.

I'm on a motorcycle forum too. I gave away some old/extra riding gear I had for free. Even offered to pay for shipping, but the recipient took care of that. He needed it for his son who grew out of the gear he had. He couldn't thank me enough.

:):) Double bonus today we got some tangerines and raw almonds from Caifornia and a smoked turkey from another friend if it's the same turkey they sent last year I'm in heaven it was so moist with just a light smoking meat pink sooo good.

The only food gifts I'm making this year are for my mother. She doesn't cook anymore so I've made/making a few of her favorites for the freezer.

Fruitcakes!

:chef: A friend made and gave me two fruitcakes with rum. Man, are they ever delicious. :chef:

I"m making and sending my grandmas cookies and a jar of the pickles I did to my in-laws in Florida

Both my boys and my son's-in-law are getting cookies and each of them one of Katies dark devils food cakes..Plus the oldest loves sea food so I'v ordered him lobester pot pies and several lbs. of large scallops..The youngest is a shrimp nut so he is getting several lbs. of that and a nice box with salami and cheese and crackers to enjoy in front of his new fireplace...Daughters want clothes so that is easy Cade has asked for chocolate chip cookies as has the rest of the little ones..so 2 cakes to go and I'm done...the kitchen has about given DH a stroke as he thinks I' ruining his new counters and stove, funny though he eats anything I don't hide:ROFLMAO:
kadesma

I mailed some cookies out yesterday-I've never done that before, so I'm curious as to whether they will arrive intact or not. I think I packed them well enough.........?

not too many, but for one special friend, I did send the fab frozen, ready-to-bake croissants from Williams-Sonoma. They should be there for them to enjoy on Christmas morning. :chef:

One of my wifes clients sent her a box of fruit from Hale. It had 9 seedless nectarines and three seedless grapefruits in it. Yum, turned the nectarines into orange juice, made for a really tasty drink.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom