"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 11-26-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Don't forget Chicago's great ribs, Michele! My favorites are from Ribs 'n' Bibs at 53rd and Dorchester!

Old 11-26-2006, 01:05 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Lisa's Kitchen
Ummmm....what's a balti?
well in actual fact a Balti is a type of Wok used in a particular type of Indian cookery, there are Many types of Dishes available, Vindaloos, tikas, bhajees, tandori dishes (although the Tandor isn`t done in a wok, it`s a charcoal BBQ type of tall pot).
mostly always served with Naan bread and popadums.

in Birmingham (my closest city) there are at least 2-3 balti resteraunts per block, it`s the UKs Balti Capital :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:18 PM   #13
Master Chef

Here in da UP, we're pretty much not famous for much. Nor is Michigan on the whole. But we are sort of famous for Great Lakes fish, i.e. whitefish, brown trout, lake trout, rainbow trout, speckled trout, northern pike, walley, jumbo yellow perch, small mouth bass, adn smelt. We also have the migratory runs of king, chinook, coho, and pink salmon. We're also somewhat famous for our cornish pasties, especially in the Upper Peninsula. But most folks around her eat pretty simple and hearty food, or at least they used to in my parents' day and earlier. Now, most people don't remember how to cook. That's why I say this area is cullinarily retarded.

There is some pretty great wild game cooked around here as well.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 AM   #14
Cook

OOOOweeeee! Chicago pizza and ribs, Baltis on every block and cornish pasties. Thanks folks!!

I'm going to have to don my best Rachael Ray and get traveling
(the mind is a powerful toy)
Old 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
State?

are UKers allowed in this thread?

our County (the West-Midlands) is oddly the best place to by a Balti, even though it`s a foriegn dish, it`s reputedly the best place :)
Or Canadians...
I dont know what my province makes...
hmm
I know Quebec has poutine. :P
Old 11-28-2006, 11:09 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I lived in Canada for 8 years, what Province you in?

I know in Alberta the Beef is almost unriveled, and sascatoon pie`s pretty good too :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 12:58 PM   #17
Senior Cook

My home state of Vermont is noted for their exceptional maple syrup and my adopted state of Kansas is known for their bierocks.

Bierocks

2 lbs. hamburger
1 c. onion, chopped
4 c. cabbage, chopped
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
Cook hamburger, onion, cabbage, salt and pepper until browned. Roll out dough and cut into large circles. Put 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of dough. Pinch closed. Bake until browned, approximately 20 minutes, at 375 degrees.
Dough for bierocks
2 pkgs. yeast
1 tsp. salt
1 c. warm milk
4 c. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. warm water
1/4 c. butter, softened
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set in warm place. Add warm milk, butter and salt; let stand for 10 minutes with yeast mixture in it. Add flour and sugar. Let double for 50 minutes.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #18
Master Chef

Since there are many voices for Chicago, and I'm in a corner of Illinois (literally) where I'm within spitting distance of both Wisconsin and Iowa, I'll speak up for them. Iowa has the best pork in the country, so pork products of all sorts. I'll bow to Virginia (where I spent many years) on ham, but when it comes to bacon, sausage, and all other pork products, Iowa is the place to be. For Wisconsin (and rural northern Illinois) it is cheese. Hubby and I laugh. When we were in Kentucky and saw beautiful, clean tanker trucks we knew they contained bourbon. In our area, you know they contain milk. These trucks (both) are so squeaky clean you can literally eat off of the top of them. Oh, Wisconsin is also famous for her bratwursts and other sausages; they also make maple syrup (my mom actually admitted the other day that she preferred the Wisconsin that I bought her one year to the Vermont that I bought her another ... a very shamefull admission from a New Englander!), and cranberries.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:25 PM   #19
Cook

Here's the roundup:

We've got VA and KY, Chicago, IA and KS, WI, MI, Bermuda, VT and NJ, and even the UK (and no thumb wrestling matches yet over crabs)

Have we any New Yorkers out there, Californians, South West.....we've got a lot of hungry states. Chime on in!
Old 12-04-2006, 12:40 PM   #20
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095
I lived in Canada for 8 years, what Province you in?

I know in Alberta the Beef is almost unriveled, and sascatoon pie`s pretty good too :)

I'm in Ontario.

Alberta is certainly famous for their beef, along with their no PST. But McDonalds is making them sound really bad. Cause I don't like McDonalds at all, and I was told about a report saying their burgers are rated F, and their beef comes from Alberta.
I don't know about anything in Saskatoon, or Saskatchewan at all.