"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Old 11-25-2006, 01:07 PM   #1
What food is your state famous for?

Howdy All,
Inbetween the shopping and eating and other good holiday stuff, I'm doing a little research. Care to play...?

What food or foods is your state famous for?

No fighting, we all know Buffalo wings came from NY, and superbowl is not a state.

As for me, I'll start with a shoo-fly pie for Pennsylvania. Cheers!

Aunt Lisa's Kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095

are UKers allowed in this thread?

our County (the West-Midlands) is oddly the best place to by a Balti, even though it`s a foriegn dish, it`s reputedly the best place :)

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
Sure, you can play along!

Ummmm....what's a balti?
Old 11-25-2006, 02:07 PM   #4
Master Chef
I'm in Virginia near Virginia Beach. While I did not grow up here, I've lived here longer than I did Ohio where I grew up! I think Brunswick stew or peanut soup are good regional dishes here. I have a recipe for peanut soup that dates from colonial days. It's great hot or cold. I had never heard of either of these dishes until I moved here nearly 25 years ago.
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:34 PM   #5
Head Chef
Jabbur, also am from VA, although was not born here and lived in many states.

Love this entire country and greatly respect the many cuisines. But do love the Old Dominion.

Oh, yes, and please post those recipes.

But, to get to the point which I have trouble doing, this state is famous for three food items. Yep, the afore mentioned peanuts. But also piggies, yep, this is the piggy capital of the country as far as I can tell.

Country hams, if you have never had one you are missing out.

They have nothing to do with the regular, city hams one finds regularly.

They are sublime.

Even for breakfast. Take a ham steak and serve with red eye gravy, some taters and eggs and you know what joy is.

And crabs. We may have to thumb wrestle Marylanders on this one, but this place is truly the home of the blue crab.

I am glad we do not fight duels anymore, because folks here have their own ideas of what a crabcake is all about. As do our friends in Maryland.

And very strong opinions I must admit.

But eat the soft shelled ones, or the regular crabs, or the ultimate culinary experience, the crab cake.

Have lived in many other localities, and will fight about the proper way to make New England clam chowder, Manhattan style clam chowder, good old Forida conch fritters, Washington razor clams, California abalones, and I could go on and on.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #6
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
here is a thread that will house alot of answers

In Bermuda, I would say that the quintessential "Native" dish is fish stew, with sherry peppers

here in V.B.,VA, seems like alot of emphasis on seafood, in particular, Crabcakes.

I forgot Ham. Smithfield Ham.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I love in New Jersey, and we are VERYfaamous for our tomatoes... probably the best in the whole USA!

also peaches and blueberries!

Lots of great produce grown right here in the Garden State. and plenty of seafood from down Cape May way....
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 03:07 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As for Kentucky, I think the state produces some of the best barbecue in the country. However, I think I would be sorely remiss if I didn't say Kentucky's contribution to the world of food (and drink) is its wonderful bourbon. None better anywhere and I'll drink to that!
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 08:19 AM   #9
You're all making me hungry, and quite scholarly as well! (How great would it be to travel around just for the sake of eating?)

Thanks for all the input so far!! I didn't realize the peanut was born and bred in VA. And peanut soup.....yum!

thanks everyone
Old 11-26-2006, 08:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
I haven't done any research but I am going solely on what I have eaten here in the Chicago are and all the other places I have lived (California, Texas, Nevada). IMO, Chicago has wonderful pizza, hot dogs (Gene and Judes is the best), big juicy beef sandwiches with lots of giardanara and lets not forget Fannie May candy!

Michele Marie
Michelemarie is offline   Reply With Quote