What food should be avoided when inviting Jewish guests?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
I'm not *completely* ignorant, and realize that there are different kinds of Jews. And that the Orthodox ones won't eat pork (or shellfish?).

But, I'll confess: I don't know what dietary restrictions there are for the everyday sort of Jewish person who lives in the US or France.

Can anyone tell me?

Best regards,
Alex R.

i'm Catholic, yet live in a town where most of our population is Jewish & i was Chef in a kosher restaurant so i'm well versed on this one. you oughta get kosher food, leave pork from your menu, you can't mix meat & milk, so vegetarian may be an easier choice. i'll ask my former boss 'bout it. they were quite vegetarian except for fish. i cooked plenty of tempura,
w/ veggies & surimi. i'll give you that recipe, have an appt. so i'll reply more later.

Just being Jewish does not mean that there are any dietary restrictions. What you want to find out is if they keep kosher. Very few Jews do keep kosher. I am Jewish. I know hundreds of other jews. Out of those hundreds of people I know two (not counting Rabbis) who keep kosher. I am Jewish and I eat pork, shellfish, ham, bacon, I mix milk products with meat products, etc. First find out if your guests keep kosher. Chances are they do not.

If they do keep kosher then here are some of the things that they would not eat. The will not eat anything from a pig. They will not eat any animal that is a scavenger. No shellfish. Milk products and meat products can't be mixed together so pepperoni pizza is out. No blood may be eaten. Any land mammal that does not have cloven hooves and chews its cud is not allowed. For fish, anything that has both fins and scales is OK.

It gets a bit tricky because it is not just about what you can and can't eat. For instance just because chicken is ok to eat does not mean that it is kosher. In order for it to be kosher it needs to be killed a certain way. Another example would be your kitchen and cookware and plates and utensils. Because they have come in contact with things that are not kosher then they are not kosher either and any food that goes on them is therefore not kosher. Don't worry though. Most people who keep kosher basically just do the best they can. They would never expect someone who does not keep kosher to go out and make sure their kitchen is kosher for their visit. It is just about doing the best you can.

My best advice to you is to ask your guest what their requirements are.

i figure it depends on your guests & where you reside. i live amongst very many kosher orthdox Jewish people. most of my town is orthodox. most of our restaurants, & i'm by very many restaurants, that's like my entire town, mostly restaurants, well amongst so many restaurants, & i'd say only 4 aren't kosher. i can get plenty of info. at some places i'm giving applications i'll ask 'bout it, gonna see if my previous boss is at work in a few.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom