What for Dinner? 8th of May 2012

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snip 13

Master Chef
Making traditional South African grub for change. Some Pap, Morogo, sheba and meat on the bone translated into regular english that would be White Polenta, Tomato and Onion Relish, Spinach and Chuck Steak. Yum!

baked skinless chicken thighs on the bone marinaded in home made piri piri sauce with romaine lettuce/avocado salad,moroccan flat bread & ice cold birra peroni:yum:!

Daughter is home from college for the summer, so I am making one of her favorites tonight: smoked kielbasa with BBQ baked beans and oven roasted potatoes.

(Okay, it's one of my favorites, too. ;))

Today's a rainy day. We've had a lot of those lately.

I'm making a skillet dinner with hash browns, kielbasa, onions, cheese, etc. I may toss in some bacon fat to enhance the experience.

Was placing an order with food rep this afternoon and someone mentioned cucumbers...all I can think about now is going home and making Tzatziki sauce and throwing some gyros together! Mmm mmm mmm....will this work day ever end?:rolleyes:

Not sure what it'll be yet. I hit the market on my way home from work so the choices are good right now. I think it will be something with hamburger but not sure what. I'm thinking sloppy joes. DH doesn't like them on buns the traditional way so I make the meat and sauce and wrap it crescent rolls and bake it in the oven. It ends up more like a calzone with sloppy joe mix and cheddar cheese instead of marinara and mozzarella. I also picked up salad stuff so have those on the side. Cookies for dessert.

It is cold and rainy so I made a pot of bean soup and some Snickerdoodles!

I really need to make a store run, the cupboard is getting bare!

To work to work in Heaven's name, the poor young maiden did exclaim, the wolf is at the door! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Last edited:
It finally cleared up here today, Andy. You should have a few hours of dry, clear weather starting 'bout 3:00 AM tonight :LOL:

I was going to make something with mushrooms, Vidalia onions and asparagus tonight. I decided to expand into some sort of stir-fry and was roooting around in the freezer and found half an alligator fillet. And I think I will also add some bacon to enhance the experience, along with some kind of hot sauce. Served over jasmine rice.

Hi Snippers! [insert waving smiley we don't have here]

It was Teacher Appreciation lunch, and DH had tacos for lunch, so we're not terribly hungry yet. DH brought home the United Way dinner from work that we signed up for, pulled pork, coleslaw, apple crisp, to be consumed later. There will be leftovers.

dw made a fantastic turkey meatloaf tonight. she accidentally dumped in a load of grated parm, and it turned out great. sides were super sweet corn and nuked spuds.

I am ashamed to admit it, but tonight's dinner will be one of my "dirty little secrets" -- Fend for yourself garbage night. :angel: For me that will consist mainly of Tostitos Monterey Jack cheese sauce with about a quarter cup of diced Mt. Olive jalapenos stirred in, and heated. This will be eaten on Snyder of Hanover white corn tortilla chips, and washed down with diet A&W rootbeer and Cherry Coke Zero. So my "dirty little secret" has been revealed. :LOL: And no, we don't do this very often. When my dad was sick, and in the couple months after he died, I craved this ALL the time. Most of the time, however, we don't eat so horribly, and I have even lost about 12 pounds so far this year. :cool:

Barbara L said:
I am ashamed to admit it, but tonight's dinner will be one of my "dirty little secrets" -- Fend for yourself garbage night. :angel: For me that will consist mainly of Tostitos Monterey Jack cheese sauce with about a quarter cup of diced Mt. Olive jalapenos stirred in, and heated. This will be eaten on Snyder of Hanover white corn tortilla chips, and washed down with diet A&W rootbeer and Cherry Coke Zero. So my "dirty little secret" has been revealed. :LOL: And no, we don't do this very often. When my dad was sick, and in the couple months after he died, I craved this ALL the time. Most of the time, however, we don't eat so horribly, and I have even lost about 12 pounds so far this year. :cool:

Huh. "Dirty little secret" or not, I think it sounds delicious, Barbara!

We had 5 cheese manicotti with tomato basil sauce and pineapple popsicles for dessert.

Lunch was teriyaki chicken with stir fried veggies and rice, snack was strawberries, bananas and apple slices.

It finally cleared up here today, Andy. You should have a few hours of dry, clear weather starting 'bout 3:00 AM tonight :LOL:

I was going to make something with mushrooms, Vidalia onions and asparagus tonight. I decided to expand into some sort of stir-fry and was roooting around in the freezer and found half an alligator fillet. And I think I will also add some bacon to enhance the experience, along with some kind of hot sauce. Served over jasmine rice.

Hi Snippers! [insert waving smiley we don't have here]

wave.gif
Here you go.

We had left over rib roast from Sunday's roast with some more Yorkshire pudding and artichokes.

Picked up 2 more live soft-shells from Wegmans last night, & was emphatically told that this would be the VERY LAST TIME they'd allow me to take them home live & clean them myself. What the HELL is this about? They said the distributor insists on it now because if the crabs die before they're cleaned, they're "poisonous", & they don't want to be liable. Well, when THEY kill & clean the crabs, the crabs are still DEAD, & if not cooked asap, will be "poisonous". I explained to them - equally emphatically - that I'd been cleaning soft-shell crabs for longer than they'd been alive, & the only reason I buy them from Wegmans is because they sell the crabs alive & kicking. I also explained that when stores clean the crabs, they butcher them, & one ends up with 3/4 of the desecrated crab left. And at between $4.99 & $6.99 each, I should be allowed to do what I want with the damn crabs. Sorry for the vent - sigh.

Anyway, ACCURATELY & PROPERLY CLEANED the crabs, dredged them in seasoned flour, dipped in beaten egg, & then into Panko unseasoned crumbs. Sauteed up in 1/2 & 1/2 olive oil & butter & then placed on two lovely toasted crusty rolls with mayo, a little dill pickle relish, lettuce, & arugula. Heaven on a bun!

Picked up 2 more live soft-shells from Wegmans last night, & was emphatically told that this would be the VERY LAST TIME they'd allow me to take them home live & clean them myself. What the HELL is this about? They said the distributor insists on it now because if the crabs die before they're cleaned, they're "poisonous", & they don't want to be liable. Well, when THEY kill & clean the crabs, the crabs are still DEAD, & if not cooked asap, will be "poisonous". I explained to them - equally emphatically - that I'd been cleaning soft-shell crabs for longer than they'd been alive, & the only reason I buy them from Wegmans is because they sell the crabs alive & kicking. I also explained that when stores clean the crabs, they butcher them, & one ends up with 3/4 of the desecrated crab left. And at between $4.99 & $6.99 each, I should be allowed to do what I want with the damn crabs. Sorry for the vent - sigh.

Anyway, ACCURATELY & PROPERLY CLEANED the crabs, dredged them in seasoned flour, dipped in beaten egg, & then into Panko unseasoned crumbs. Sauteed up in 1/2 & 1/2 olive oil & butter & then placed on two lovely toasted crusty rolls with mayo, a little dill pickle relish, lettuce, & arugula. Heaven on a bun!

I don't get soft shells at the grocery, I only go to crab shacks or seafood places for them.

I like to saute in a little butter with some sort of Cajun type pepper seasoning.

Now I want soft shells..

The upside is I have shrimp for dinner.

Back
Top Bottom