What goes good with French Onion Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nitestarz

Assistant Cook
What pairs well with French Onion Soup to make it more of a meal, rather than an appetizer?

IMO french onion soup, with grated gruyer in it and a hunk of bread is a good meal! I make it quite a lot mid week cause its economical! If you are hungrier than soup but not hungry enough for big hunks of soup then the Jewish croutons often put in chicken soup, the small crackery ones, are very good.

We had fried oysters with ours for New Year's Eve, and it made a very nice meal. True, the soup is satisfying, but my husband has to have his "meat".

ceaser salad, or a snack like pears with cheese with peppercorn crackers or another crunchy snack.

I vote for a substantial crisp green salad. Perhaps a lardon/frisee salad like in a french bistro. I think the cool and tangy salad is a great compliment to the rich and hearty soup.

Brad and cheese are my two favorite substances on the face of the earth, but some people think the bread and cheese component of FOS is too much already (how they can think this I don't know, but some of my friends and coworkers do) so you might want to think about rounding out the meal with more bread and cheese. Though I would totally do that.

One of my favorite bistros here does a nice Amuse Bouche with marinated matchstick carrots. Carrots marined in a little white wine vinegar, evoo and dill or another herb.

I love making French Onion Soup and do it often. This goes well with just about anything but I like it as a first course for a light fish or seafood. Oysters are perfect - raw or Rockefeller. I made broiled trout and a crisp green salad a couple of weeks ago with FOS and everyone loved the combination. Be sure to put a crouton in the soup - any a little sherry or brandy makes a huge difference.

I always add beef to my French onion soup so stands alone as a meal. Yummy!

pdswife said:
I always add beef to my French onion soup so stands alone as a meal. Yummy!

pdswife that sounds good, i think i will have to make french onion soup
i don't think my kids have ever had it, i have not made it because of the
onions. But know that they are getting a bit older they my like it, besides
it is one of my favorites. it is going to be freezing rain all weekend sounds
like a good weekend to make soup. any pointers you would suggest?

Rickell, do you have a recipe that you like to use? If not I can post mine.

One thing I do is cube the onions instead of slicing them into rings. It's so much easier to eat that way.

luvs said:
ceaser salad, or a snack like pears with cheese with peppercorn crackers or another crunchy snack.

I second the Caesar salad, but make it a grilled chicken Caesar.

Lee

pdswife said:
Rickell, do you have a recipe that you like to use? If not I can post mine.

One thing I do is cube the onions instead of slicing them into rings. It's so much easier to eat that way.

yes i would love your recipe and i will definately cube the onions.:chef:

thanks

I'd love to have your recipe too, pds! My husband would really go for that.

Drama Queen, your trout/salad/FOS meal makes my mouth water. I love trout, and seldom get it.

Back
Top Bottom