What goes with cabbage roll casserole?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahundercover

Assistant Cook
I'm having a couple friends over and they love Cabbage Roll Casserole but i have no idea what to serve with it...Soup, Salad...what PLEASE HELP!!

I'm having a couple friends over and they love Cabbage Roll Casserole but i have no idea what to serve with it...Soup, Salad...what PLEASE HELP!!

First, welcome to DC. Second, please describe cabbage roll casserole for us so we can make some suggestions. When I make what I call cabbage rolls (aka stuffed cabbage), I will serve them with either mashed potatoes or boiled parsley potatoes with real bacon bits.

JoeV

My vote is yes to both!! I saw a great looking artichoke soup on here tonight, and you can't go wrong with a spinach salad with warm bacon vinigrette dressing IMO!:chef:

The casserole is just like cabbage rolls but expoded, cabbage on top and bottom with the meat mixture (celery, rice, peppers, onions etc)
Thanks for any suggestions!

IMHO - cabbage needs a side of potatoes - mashed, boiled or go fancy with some potato-onion-cheese perogi (boiled and then tossed into a skillet with some butter to brown up a bit).

A soup - maybe pumpkin, butternut squash or acorn squash.

Or just roasted acorn or butternut squash with some butter, maybe a little honey and some cinnamon/nutmeg -or- maybe simply cubed and roasted with some parsnips and/or rutabagas and quartered onions.

i'm with michael and joe. ya gotta have some spuds with cabbage. champ potatoes would work. or cubed and boiled, then fried in bacon fat.

Roasted garlic Mash Potatos
Roast garlic in oven and then add it to your mashed potatos

I had planned on making Stuffed Cabbage AKA pigs in a blanket for a family function one time.
I got a huge head of cabbage and while making the filling I heard a noise, turned around and my cabbage split right down the middle. SO now no rolls so instead i cooked the cabbage and then layered like Lasanga with the cabage and the filling along with some crushed tomatoes. Took it to the gathering and mom said thought you making Pigs and I said - I was but it turned out to be Polish Lasgana instead and it was good and maybe a couple spoonsfull left at the end..

I'm with those who suggested potatoes. Also, something to cut the richness of the cabbage roll dish. The squash idea sounds just right. If you are serving several courses. the soup and the salad suggestions sound great, also.

I always made mashed potatoes with stuffed cabbage rolls. The gravy is so delicious poured over mashed potatoes and I also served buttered carrots, just plain buttered carrots. My family loved this combination so I never did anything else. The cabbage rolls and gravy have such an intense, deep flavor that any other vegetable would have competed I thought.

It really depends on your recipe for cabbage rolls. If there's a lot of rice in it, you don't need a starch, if not my husband likes egg noodles. The sauce begs for some starch to soak it up. But cabbage rolls are so perfectly one dish you don't have to worry to much about the sides. My sauce is tomato/stock/paprika based and I make a lot of extra so that I can create a soup for my shut in friend (cut up one cabbage roll, at the tomato sauce, and she's in heaven). My method is a combination of my mom's, my mother-in-law's (Russian/Slovakian in origins), Mom's best friend (Polish in origin) and various others I've tasted over the years. Mom used to serve hers with mashed potatoes because Daddy is a real potato kind of guy.

Back
Top Bottom