"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-14-2013, 08:04 AM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

About 10 raw almonds and 3 dates.

Old 01-10-2016, 03:00 AM   #122
Master Chef

Brought a bit of Cleveland love back with us. Not the healthy foods I was planning to stick to this year, but since replacing this would be a two-day drive I think we're safe having a bag-and-a-tub in the house just this once.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-01-09 22.32.06.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	24139  

Old 01-10-2016, 06:24 AM   #123
Head Chef

An unusual one, i.e. not a typical snack for me....

I bought a small tub of spiced plum and dark rum cream (reduced price) - there were lots in the shop, no doubt leftover from the xmas period.

When I got it home, although the taste was fine, the texture of the cream was grainy. I assume it had been frozen. I mixed it with mashed bananas and so it became much nicer.

(I did phone the store since there were so many tubs of it on the shelf and I wanted to save anyone else being disappointed. Not worth getting a refund since it was very cheap!)
Old 01-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #124
Chef Extraordinaire

You did not just show me chips and dip. Now I'm going to have to go to the store
Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM   #125
Head Chef

Homemade tender beef jerky along with Bavarian pretzels, sharp cheddar cheese, and some Hi C grape juice.
Old 01-10-2016, 02:21 PM   #126
Master Chef

I finished off (in one day) a whole pound worth of Trader Joe's Raw Trail Mix the other day.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:22 PM   #127
Master Chef

I enjoy Greek yoghurt, and I really like yogurt with fruit. However, most every pre-made fruited version is too sweet, or had an "off" flavor. So I mix my own.

Today I pulled some peach slices I froze at peak season this summer - just plain slices on a cookie sheet. Once defrosted, I mixed them with sliced almonds and Fage Greek yoghurt. Just the right amount of sweetness, with such a creamy consistency I thought I was indulging in a cheat food.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:56 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I enjoy Greek yoghurt, and I really like yogurt with fruit. However, most every pre-made fruited version is too sweet, or had an "off" flavor. So I mix my own.

Today I pulled some peach slices I froze at peak season this summer - just plain slices on a cookie sheet. Once defrosted, I mixed them with sliced almonds and Fage Greek yoghurt. Just the right amount of sweetness, with such a creamy consistency I thought I was indulging in a cheat food.

CG, have you tried making your own Greek yogurt in the CP?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #129
Master Chef

Nope. I'm basically lazy when it comes to some things. Besides, I don't eat that much, so it seems like it would be more work that worth it for me. Now, then, I DO have a small (1-quart) crock, which would be a much better size to use than my 4 1/2 quart or 6 quart model, but it's for warming only. Doesn't get warm enough for uncooked meats, so I'm guessing it's not sufficient for yogurt either.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:19 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Nope. I'm basically lazy when it comes to some things. Besides, I don't eat that much, so it seems like it would be more work that worth it for me. Now, then, I DO have a small (1-quart) crock, which would be a much better size to use than my 4 1/2 quart or 6 quart model, but it's for warming only. Doesn't get warm enough for uncooked meats, so I'm guessing it's not sufficient for yogurt either.
Oh, you don't want it warm enough to cook meat. You want it at 110F - 115F. I'm going to fill some water into my slow cooker and see how warm it gets at various settings. I think "warm" will be the right one. I want to make yogourt in a jar in a water bath in the slow cooker. The idea of pouring the milk straight into the ceramic insert icks me out. It will also save me scrubbing the insert. The jar can go in the DW.