What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dried cranberries and almonds have been my snack when the DW is looking; Doritos or Cheezits when she's not.

Actually, I really have been eating a lot of dried cranberries lately. The local supermarket has had fairly large bags of them on sale all summer for $5.
It seems silly that anyone would buy the tiny pouches of dried canberries for $3 in the aisle right next to the bigger bags on sale.

Still, my Dorito addiction is beginning to rear its ugly head again.

Dried cranberries and almonds have been my snack when the DW is looking; Doritos or Cheezits when she's not.

Actually, I really have been eating a lot of dried cranberries lately. The local supermarket has had fairly large bags of them on sale all summer for $5.
It seems silly that anyone would buy the tiny pouches of dried canberries for $3 in the aisle right next to the bigger bags on sale.

Still, my Dorito addiction is beginning to rear its ugly head again.

So many folks do not know just how sweet dried cranberries are. I love them. Market Basket has a section of not so pretty foods. Like (my favorite) cashew halves, other broken nuts, dried cranberries and other goodies for snacking. They are packed in cellophane in about 1/2 pounds. And at a reasonable price. I always look to see what they have.

I've been using the (few) calories I'm burning off with cleaning as an excuse for "bad" foods. Tonight, as I looked for a fresh jolt of energy, I decided to use the Valencia peanuts we bought at Trader Joe's to make tin roof sundaes. They tasted like memories of the '60s, when my Mom and I would walk to the Franklin Ice Cream store to share a sundae...or get an ice cream cone all to ourselves. Good memories. :heart:

Attachments

• 20180614_235938.jpg
    20180614_235938.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 90
I've been using the (few) calories I'm burning off with cleaning as an excuse for "bad" foods. Tonight, as I looked for a fresh jolt of energy, I decided to use the Valencia peanuts we bought at Trader Joe's to make tin roof sundaes. They tasted like memories of the '60s, when my Mom and I would walk to the Franklin Ice Cream store to share a sundae...or get an ice cream cone all to ourselves. Good memories. :heart:
Looks good. What's the "recipe"?

We had strawberries and whipped cream. The hubster picked up to clam shells of strawberries at the health food store yesterday. I washed them yesterday. Today I dehulled them and cut off some yucky bits. I froze a bit more than half of them and we had the rest as a snack tonight.

I was all set on having Chinese pork ribs with Ah So sauce. Then Spike showed up with two huge sub sandwiches. Pirate's was Italian and I had the Eggplant.

Looks good. What's the "recipe"?
taxy, a tin roof sundae is: vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup (not a fudge type), salted redskin peanuts, whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Pure decadence - definitely a once-in-a-decade treat at my age. :LOL: I like them, so to me it's worth every calorie...once a decade.

taxy, a tin roof sundae is: vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup (not a fudge type), salted redskin peanuts, whipped cream, and a maraschino cherry. Pure decadence - definitely a once-in-a-decade treat at my age. :LOL: I like them, so to me it's worth every calorie...once a decade.
Thank you. Sounds interesting - I may just give it a try, minus the maraschino cherry.

Oooh....haven't had Tin Roof Sundae in a couple of years, and yes, it is such a treat! The salty peanuts with chocolate....yum. :yum:

We've been having fresh strawberries & blueberries w/splenda. I need to start freezing some of the blueberries before they go bad on me.

I just tried blueberries last summer, man they are good. Dil introduced me to them.

Russ

My granddaughter lives in a rural area in Maine. Every time she comes down for a visit, she brings fresh blueberries for me. One time she was picking some off a bush, looked up and was face to face with a bear. She wisely backed away. Found another bush, and filled up the large pail she had. I ate blue berries for weeks.

No, msm, it doesn't HAVE to be Trader Joe's coffee ice cream. It HAS to be whatever the favorite root beer/ice cream combination is for the person enjoying the float. ;) I find both root beer and coffee ice cream to have very strong flavors. I'd be afraid they would be competing for my attention. To my taste buds, spicy root beer needs a creamy, good quality vanilla ice cream - and not a low-fat version! :yum:

Besides, I enjoy a root beer float (or a brown cow, made with Coke instead of root beer) when the temperatures are hot. Definitely not a winter drink. Since the nearest Trader Joe's is 25 miles away, using any of their ice creams in a float would be a sloppy idea. :LOL: I can get good ice cream four or six miles from home.

No, msm, it doesn't HAVE to be Trader Joe's coffee ice cream. It HAS to be whatever the favorite root beer/ice cream combination is for the person enjoying the float. ;) I find both root beer and coffee ice cream to have very strong flavors. I'd be afraid they would be competing for my attention. To my taste buds, spicy root beer needs a creamy, good quality vanilla ice cream - and not a low-fat version! :yum:

Besides, I enjoy a root beer float (or a brown cow, made with Coke instead of root beer) when the temperatures are hot. Definitely not a winter drink. Since the nearest Trader Joe's is 25 miles away, using any of their ice creams in a float would be a sloppy idea. :LOL: I can get good ice cream four or six miles from home.
I never knew that a Coke float was called a “brown cow,”

Back
Top Bottom