What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made another delicious version of boiled peanuts yesterday. I've made Mexican, Thai, Indian, and Chinese flavored versions before, and yesterday, I got an idea for a new Chinese type, when I saw the Lapsang Souchong tea in my cupboard - something that I rarely use, except when I make tea eggs. So I made a batch of strong tea, using enough water to cover the peanuts by about an inch in the Instant Pot, strained it into the IP, then added some dark soy sauce, palm sugar, cassia sticks, star anise, and a few whole cloves. This time, I cooked it in the high heat slow cooker mode, for about 5 hours (sometimes I pressure cook them for 30 min., then finish on slow cook; 40 min on pressure cook is a little too long), then cooled for an hour, and chilled.
Tea cooked boiled peanuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I have been having a mixture of raw pumpkin seeds, raisins, craisins, and broken up gluten free pretzels. I keep a container beside my desk, another by my recliner, and a third by the bed.

I find that I am eating it instead of handfuls of the pretzels and sugary snacks.

I had some hard steamed eggs that we hadn't used at supper, so I made a small batch of devilled eggs, out of those four They got snarfed up in far too short a time.

I've been on a devilled eggs kick lately, taxy. Never the same twice. I think Himself might start giving them Scoville ratings, though. Or assign them to different levels of Dante's hell.

On a more cooling note, we had dishes of watermelon tonight. I sprinkled a generous amount of Tajin on mine. Oh Yum!

I've been eating some tofu snacks from the grocery store. I love tofu and these are supposedly baked.

Going to try and make my own from normal tofu blocks.

I was in the market and saw " Roasted Corn Doritos". I love Doritos and Roasted corn, so I grabbed a bag to try and loved it. I went back the following week to load up, and they were no where to be found. For my birthday, my wife found them online and ordered me a case ( I think they were shipped from Thailand).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 9.05.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 9.05.51 PM.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 99
larry, if you have an Aldi near you, check for their Roasted Sweet Corn popped corn. The bag looks almost like a Smartfood popcorn bag (Aldi had their version of the white cheddar, too). When we opened the bag and took a taste, we both said "not bad"...then managed to eat the entire thing in one sitting each! :pig:

We had bruschetta as a late night snack. I had some heirloom tomatoes in the fridge that were going to go off soon. When I went to look for some basil, I realized that I had used just about all the fresh basil leaves making pesto a couple of days ago. Oh well, I used some of the pesto instead of leaves. It was on wholegrain baguette slices. I toasted them in the toaster oven. I rubbed the garlic on the toasted slices. i spread some pesto on the bread and then added the chopped tomatoes and a bit of olive oil. We also had some buffalo mozzarella in the fridge that had been there for a while. It was an unopened container and smelled and looked fine when I opened it. Topped some of the bruschetta with the moz and drizzled on some olive oil. We liked it better with the buffalo mozzarella. We tried it with our regular olive oil, which was good, and with an artisanal Portuguese olive oil. I didn't much care for the Portuguese one before, but it was even better than our regular one on the bruschetta.

I'm very pleased with the way that turned out. I recommend using pesto if you don't have fresh basil.

I'm very pleased with the way that turned out. I recommend using pesto if you don't have fresh basil.
That's how I always make my bruschetta :chef: I spread pesto on the bread, topped with chopped tomatoes and sprinkled with Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. A tiny drizzle of olive oil on top. So good [emoji39]

Guacamole! Made it with frozen tomatoes and peppers from the garden. I have 3 more avocados ripening on the counter for more.

Last edited:
I made guacamole yesterday with my last avocado and homemade salsa added.

Never been much of a snacker because of how I was brought up. We lived pretty frugaly so extras were not part of the schedule.

Now...I have a few peanuts around 10 a.m. and have the same about 4 p.m. Never got a liking for such things as potato chips and such. Largely because I'm not a very "salt" person.

Don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but just never became a "snack" person.

I made a batch of chex mix before christmas and I've been working on that since. I seem to be the only one that wants it, so, oh well! I never get tired of it anyway

We rarely have dessert right after supper, so by the time we get around to it it's turned into a snack. Tonight's treat was strawberry shortcake with homemade biscuits.
IMG_20210419_234805373_HDR.jpg

Made some blueberry cream cheese muffins.

39817-albums888-picture8584.jpg
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom