What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been having Greek yogurt (flavored for right now, will get brave and do a thing of plain with some add-ins later), fresh watermelon and cantaloupe, or frozen blueberries with half-and-half and Splenda. Makes it taste like blueberry ice cream.
Plain Greek yogurt with fresh cherries is so good - if you like cherries, that is. I have that combo for breakfast often when cherries are in season.

I'll have to try that some time. Have you ever tried making your own yogurt in the Instant Pot?
I love IP yogurt. I do cold start with Ultra Pasteurized Half and Half and/or Ultra Pasteurized Heavy Cream. Quick and easy, no boil. Strain, thick and creamy.

I'll have to try that some time. Have you ever tried making your own yogurt in the Instant Pot?
No, and probably won't. I don't have an instant pot and have no plans of buying one. I get my yogurt at Aldi, less than $3.50/quart. I buy 5%, little creamier and richer than Fage's 2%, which goes for $4.99 and up per kilo (a little more than 36 ounces) around here. Aldi only carries 5% and no fat, and I don't do no fat yogurt.

... Have you ever tried making your own yogurt in the Instant Pot?

I've done it a few dozen times. I usually start with half a gallon of 2% milk which after straining yields about 1 quart of very thick Greek yogurt and 1 quart of whey; current cost of milk at Kroger is $1.69. I value the whey almost as much as the yogurt. Definitely a worthwhile task but haven't done it in a couple of months. The most difficult part is making the refrigerator room for straining.

As I've mentioned elsewhere in this forum, recently I've been enjoying kefir cheese, Greek yogurt's second cousin. Tempted to try homemade kefir cheese.

By the way, you don't need an Instant Pot to make yogurt. I use one but would be just almost as easy to let your scalded, cooled, and inoculated milk incubate for 8 hours warmed with a heating pad or an oven pilot light. Pretty sure the heating pad idea is vaguely remembered from an old Alton Brown Good Eats episode. My instructions for Instant Pot yogurt came from a blog called A Mind "Full" Mom.

No, and probably won't. I don't have an instant pot and have no plans of buying one. I get my yogurt at Aldi, less than $3.50/quart. I buy 5%, little creamier and richer than Fage's 2%, which goes for $4.99 and up per kilo (a little more than 36 ounces) around here. Aldi only carries 5% and no fat, and I don't do no fat yogurt.

I will have to remember that about Aldi's. It's their Greek yogurt, right?

I will have to remember that about Aldi's. It's their Greek yogurt, right?
Yup, Cindy. Looks like this:
IMG_20210711_231512568.jpgIMG_20210711_231549820.jpg

*Bump*

IMG_1373.jpg

I picked up this tub of Cream Cheese by mistake.
Dairy-free Plant based? HMMMM
Ya know, it's pretty good actually.
It doesn't have that same mouth feel as a full fat Cream Cheese,
but I like it.
I schmeared a big ole dollop on a few of my favorite crackers,
and that made for a great snack!
Better yet paired with a glass of wine ;)

Last night we had a midnight snack. It was bruschetta that I made using whole grain wheat baguette, fresh garlic, de-seeded tomato, and store bought basil pesto. It was yummy even though I forgot the drizzle of EVOO.

Bruschetta.jpg

Yesterday (Monday), when our temperature was still in the 70s near midnight, I mentioned that we should have root beer floats. Himself still had half a bottle of Coke in the fridge, though, so he put the root beer in the fridge when he finished the Coke. I didn't care that our temps had dropped into the low 60s this evening, we had our floats.
IMG_20220601_002034785.jpg

Last night we had a midnight snack. It was bruschetta that I made using whole grain wheat baguette, fresh garlic, de-seeded tomato, and store bought basil pesto. It was yummy even though I forgot the drizzle of EVOO.

View attachment 51811
Mmmmm, my favorite summer snack [emoji39] If you have some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, a sprinkle of that is nice on top.

Mmmmm, my favorite summer snack [emoji39] If you have some Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, a sprinkle of that is nice on top.
Oh, good idea. I'll try to remember, but I forgot to add a basil leaf or two and the EVOO, so who knows when I will remember. :rolleyes:

We had a Neighborhood Gal Pal Cards Afternoon and this is what we ate

IMG_1710.jpg

IMG_1711.jpg

IMG_1713.jpg

We had Hummus with crudité
Olive Tapenade on lovely slices of baguette
and a new to me recipe from I think she said Southern Living, it was Watermelon cubes that are topped with a mixture of red onion, cucumber mint and lime jiuce, very yummy!!!

We had a late night snack of bruschetta. I toasted some thinly slice wholewheat baguette. I abraded some fresh garlic onto both sides of the bread. I piled on some chopped, seeded tomato and some chiffonaded basil leaves. Then, I sprinkled a bit of EVOO onto it and then shredded some parm on top. It was very yummy. Thanks GG for the suggestion of finishing with a bit of parm. Next time, there will be more parm.

Bruschetta.jpg

Original bruchetta comes from Greece. It is very tasty. It was how the quality of 1rst pressed oliv e oil was tested. A loaf of bread was sliced in half, lengthwise, and brushed liberally with the olive oil. It was then toasted over fire. When golden brown, and crispy, the toasted side was rubbed with raw garlic,, and served. It's better than garlic bread made with butter, IMHO. If you haven't yet tried it, you need to. Use a broiler to toast your bread (over charcoal is better).

Our U.K. freinds brought it back to England, and began adding toppings. It became the wealthy family garlic bread, and a status symbol to seperate it from the peasant garlic bread made with butter.

As for snacks, lately, I've been loving crisp, cold apples, very juicy, such as Gala, pink lady, kinds that are sweet, with a bit of tang to them. So refreshing. I've also been snacking on the occasioal watermellon slice. It's a treat that's allowed in my diet. Watermellon is ninety-some percent water, and suprisingly low in sugars.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, I find it is better to put the olive oil on after toasting and rubbing on the garlic. The surface of the bread is crispier without the oil and it's easier to abrade the garlic on bread that way.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom