What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Plain old popcorn!

I forget some of these inexpensive simple things that we grew up with.

I used a covered one quart Pyrex casserole with two tablespoons of popcorn kernels in the microwave on high until the popping slowed.
i do this too but in a brown paper bag--and 3 T. of course this is how i justified buying amish country popcorn online--they have great varieties!

2BB4A18A-A6CC-4B84-A0F4-BBAE2D09D1AD.jpeg

i do this too but in a brown paper bag--and 3 T. of course this is how i justified buying amish country popcorn online--they have great varieties!
Amish country popcorn online strikes me as a little bit odd/funny. 🤭

I use JollyTime from the $tore.

Nothing but second best for old Aunt Bea. 😉

Today I made some boiled peanuts to snack on, these I seasoned with chipotles and moritas, plus a little ground cumin and coriander - a spice mix I make for Indian cooking, but I use it in Mexican cooking, too. I also added some dried tomatoes, and blended those smooth with some dried moritas and a couple of canned chipotles, plus about 2 c water. I emptied that onto the lb of raw peanuts, and pressure cooked them in the Instant Pot for 45 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally.
Chipotle flavored boiled peanuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cashew nuts! My favorite snack of all time. I eat them one at a time, which drives my husband "nuts" since he eats nuts by the handful.
I do that too. I find that I enjoy them better that way. Besides, if I stuff my mouth with nuts or popcorn, I always seem to manage to get one or more little pieces down my windpipe. Then I cough for the next 5-10 minutes. It's most unpleasant.

I made some boiled peanuts, after getting a couple lbs of raw peanuts from the Indian grocer. I put some in the Instant Pot, with a couple of cups of water, some soy sauce, some 5 spice powder, a little cayenne pepper, a couple star anise, a couple of small black cardamom, and in a tea ball I put a tsp of Szechwan peppercorns, and a generous tsp of lapsang souchong tea. I closed the IP, set it to pressure cook 50 minutes, and let it release, until I came in from outside (about an hour over). Turned out delicious, though I only ate a small amount - I'll have a lot more cold.

Okay, I am reeling from the concept of "boiled peanuts", but anyway, I am mostly to be found snacking on nuts of any kind! And I eat them one at a time.

Now, back to "boiled peanuts". Pepperhead. When you boil a peanut what happens to the texture?

My sister lives in Florida (and Oklahoma). One year visiting she brought me a can of peanuts. hate to say this - they are still in the cupboard as I have no idea what to do with them. I've read recipes but honestly... until someone prepares them for me and I know what to expect... they will probably stay there til my sons find them long after I've gone.

What kind of peanuts are in the can, @dragnlaw? Those that we get in cans have been roasted and are ready for eating. The only raw nuts I have seen are still in the shell...and usually in 25 or 50 pound burlap sacks.

Down south, and in recent years, even here, in Jersey, boiled peanuts are sold, the ones around here are in 28 oz cans. My sister bought me one, while she was still with me (so it was before '19), because she knew I loved those things growing up (the few times we would get south, on vacations), but those things were incredibly salty! In the Indian market (where I get them shelled, and are available with the skins, or w/o), they have them in the shells, in the produce section, both roasted, and raw, though they are much older than you'd get them down south, probably taken from the ground a few days before sale, and you can tell from the shells.

Now I have to go digging into the pantry - but not tonight as the pantry is directly under "baby's" room. I would likely drop multiple things and be on 'Mama's' kill list for the next week. o_O

Back
Top Bottom