What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now I have to go digging into the pantry - but not tonight as the pantry is directly under "baby's" room. I would likely drop multiple things and be on 'Mama's' kill list for the next week. o_O
If they're boiled peanuts, they're intended to be eaten out of hand, as a snack. I've never heard of people using them in a recipe.

If they're roasted, they can also be eaten as a snack, or used in baking, in peanut sauce, as a garnish, etc., like you would with any other nuts. Taste one before you eat a bunch. Roasting brings out their oil, which can go rancid after a while (not sure how long).

They become slimy and disgusting 🤢

Sorry, pepper.
They are only slimy/disgusting if they have sat too long and are contaminated with some kind of munge.

I love boiled peanuts. Yes, they are wet but the shell should crack open to expose the nut, which depending on how long they were cooked, should be the texture of a cooked chestnut (not a water chestnut) or cooked chickpea. You can decide how firm you want them. There are as many ways to make boiled peanuts as there are people who enjoy them. People boil them on the stove, cook em in crockpots, use insta-pots, etc. Different seasonings can be used so they are spicy or not. I personally like the peanut taste when boiled, so I don't want to completely cover the taste.

Tons of recipes online. My advice to those who want to give them a try is to find a recipe that uses raw peanuts, some salt, and then seasonings that you feel you may enjoy. Green peanuts can also be used, but I cannot find them reliably fresh locally so often find the taste to be off.

They are only slimy/disgusting if they have sat too long and are contaminated with some kind of munge.
The ones I had were sold by a street vendor in Atlanta on the way from the parking lot to a baseball game. They had been freshly boiled, as far as I know (this was many years ago). I've never had them since, but that's how I remember them. I don't like raw oysters, either.

20230508_063355.jpg
20230508_063735.jpg
20230508_063810.jpg
20230508_063857.jpg
20230508_063619.jpg

We put the bees in the new hives last night just before dark. Afterwards we shared a snack of battered breaded vidalia onion rings w/ketchup. I could have eaten a big plate of them! I'll be making them again today for a late lunch, yum.

I see you found them! Did you open them yet?

I made another batch today - this time I made a chipotle sauce, with some dried tomatoes, as well. I blended about a cup of water with 4 generous sized moritas, plus over 3/4 oz dried tomatoes, and blended until totally smooth. Then I rinsed out the VM with a little more than a cup of water, salted to taste, and added a little coriander/cumin powder, and about a half tsp of sugar. Then I pressure cooked it in the IP, for 50 min, and let it cool for a while (I was outside!). Here's the result:
Boiled peanuts, with some tomato and chipotle sauce. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Yes, found them. I didn't know they were still in the shell! Guess I didn't really read the label - or maybe just don't remember.

Do you always shell them before cooking? Are there times when you eat them with the shell on?
I can't translate the code on the lid. PNUT2 J188X or could be J1BBX.
Pretty sure I'll know if they've gone all canney taste yucky upon opening.

I'm still unsure about them and still don't know what they are supposed to be like or taste.

Pressure cooker is in storage, do you think I sound like a person who's not going to do this?
My sister's coming up later this summer, perhaps I'll just wait for her. She might not even want to open the can as it is so old. LOL - she'll call me a big chicken!

The ones I ate when I was a kid were still in the shell - my Grandmother used to cook a large pot of them, when we would visit, and on the way down we would stop a couple places and pick them up, out in the middle of nowhere, where those old black guys would have huge vats of peanuts boiling, on the sides of the roads. The ones I cook have been shelled - I'm lazy, when it comes to these! The only thing that used to be put in them was salt, but I've put Chinese, Indian, Mexican, and Thai seasonings in with them, and all are good, with that same "boiled peanut flavor". Remember, you're just cooking another legume!

Yes, found them. I didn't know they were still in the shell! Guess I didn't really read the label - or maybe just don't remember.

Do you always shell them before cooking? Are there times when you eat them with the shell on?
I can't translate the code on the lid. PNUT2 J188X or could be J1BBX.
Pretty sure I'll know if they've gone all canney taste yucky upon opening.

I'm still unsure about them and still don't know what they are supposed to be like or taste.

Pressure cooker is in storage, do you think I sound like a person who's not going to do this?
My sister's coming up later this summer, perhaps I'll just wait for her. She might not even want to open the can as it is so old. LOL - she'll call me a big chicken!
They are already boiled. The fourth picture shows the instructions for heating and serving them.

I made a batch of boiled peanuts, with a new flavoring, that came to mind when I mentioned those tea eggs, a while back. So I made a batch with the same flavors in the tea eggs - for 14 oz raw peanuts, I put 3½ c water, 4 tb dark soy, and a little more light soy (about 1½ tb), until the salt tasted right. In one small tea ball a generous tsp of lapsang souchong tea, in another small tea ball a tsp Szechwan peppercorns, 6 whole cloves, and bits of star anise, to equal about 2 stars. Plus 2 sticks cinnamon (about 2½" each), and 2 whole black cardamom (gave it more of that smoky flavor). I mixed this up in the Instant Pot, then cooked 50 minutes, and let it release naturally. This was one of the best flavors I've made for these, and a couple of times I drizzled a little bit of the liquid on some hard boiled eggs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom