What have you had for a snack lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brought a bit of Cleveland love back with us. Not the healthy foods I was planning to stick to this year, but since replacing this would be a two-day drive I think we're safe having a bag-and-a-tub in the house just this once.

Attachments

• 2016-01-09 22.32.06.jpg
    2016-01-09 22.32.06.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 208
An unusual one, i.e. not a typical snack for me....

I bought a small tub of spiced plum and dark rum cream (reduced price) - there were lots in the shop, no doubt leftover from the xmas period.

When I got it home, although the taste was fine, the texture of the cream was grainy. I assume it had been frozen. I mixed it with mashed bananas and so it became much nicer.

(I did phone the store since there were so many tubs of it on the shelf and I wanted to save anyone else being disappointed. Not worth getting a refund since it was very cheap!)

I enjoy Greek yoghurt, and I really like yogurt with fruit. However, most every pre-made fruited version is too sweet, or had an "off" flavor. So I mix my own.

Today I pulled some peach slices I froze at peak season this summer - just plain slices on a cookie sheet. Once defrosted, I mixed them with sliced almonds and Fage Greek yoghurt. Just the right amount of sweetness, with such a creamy consistency I thought I was indulging in a cheat food. :yum:

I enjoy Greek yoghurt, and I really like yogurt with fruit. However, most every pre-made fruited version is too sweet, or had an "off" flavor. So I mix my own.

Today I pulled some peach slices I froze at peak season this summer - just plain slices on a cookie sheet. Once defrosted, I mixed them with sliced almonds and Fage Greek yoghurt. Just the right amount of sweetness, with such a creamy consistency I thought I was indulging in a cheat food. :yum:

:yum: CG, have you tried making your own Greek yogurt in the CP?

Nope. I'm basically lazy when it comes to some things. Besides, I don't eat that much, so it seems like it would be more work that worth it for me. Now, then, I DO have a small (1-quart) crock, which would be a much better size to use than my 4 1/2 quart or 6 quart model, but it's for warming only. Doesn't get warm enough for uncooked meats, so I'm guessing it's not sufficient for yogurt either.

Nope. I'm basically lazy when it comes to some things. Besides, I don't eat that much, so it seems like it would be more work that worth it for me. Now, then, I DO have a small (1-quart) crock, which would be a much better size to use than my 4 1/2 quart or 6 quart model, but it's for warming only. Doesn't get warm enough for uncooked meats, so I'm guessing it's not sufficient for yogurt either.
Oh, you don't want it warm enough to cook meat. You want it at 110°F - 115°F. I'm going to fill some water into my slow cooker and see how warm it gets at various settings. I think "warm" will be the right one. I want to make yogourt in a jar in a water bath in the slow cooker. The idea of pouring the milk straight into the ceramic insert icks me out. It will also save me scrubbing the insert. The jar can go in the DW.

I've made as little as two cups of yogurt. The only work you have to do is to wrap it in a couple towels after the milk reaches temp, then leave it overnight on the counter.

Using up the last of my tub of Fage yogurt before I shop tomorrow (or Saturday). Today I added in some broken walnuts and a drizzle of honey. So nice to know that something that tastes this good is still good for me. :)

Himself looooves popcorn. I love it, too, but if the yummy smell lingers in the house at bedtime I lay awake in bed wishing I had more to eat. Decided to close the bedroom door before I pop any! :LOL: Got us a fresh bag of Bob's Red Mill popping corn and made an old-fashioned stove-top batch today. Shook a little bit of Spice Merchants cheese popcorn seasoning on top. :yum: Why didn't I think of closing that bedroom door earlier?

Attachments

• 2016-04-15 18.17.39.jpg
    2016-04-15 18.17.39.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 143
Back
Top Bottom