"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 PM   #1141
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Apparently I was born with Aortic Stenosis that got worse over the years. And the fact that I was in the hospital it was discovered. I feel like the heart attack possibly saved my life. My PA was only treating the symptoms.
My circumflex was 99% occluded when I had mine, my LAD is currently at 40%. Don't let healthcare workers tell you they are smart...I'd been having a heart attack for at least 16 hours before it finally dawned on me...and I was out driving. Luckily, the big one didn't happen until I was in the ER. Oh dopey me!
__________________

__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #1142
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My circumflex was 99% occluded when I had mine, my LAD is currently at 40%. Don't let healthcare workers tell you they are smart...I'd been having a heart attack for at least 16 hours before it finally dawned on me...and I was out driving. Luckily, the big one didn't happen until I was in the ER. Oh dopey me!
Greek to me.

I only went to the hospital because my heart was beating fast and feeling like it was wobbling and would not slow down. I drank 4 beers, puked them back up......I waited 8 hours.
__________________

__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:25 PM   #1143
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Greek to me.

I only went to the hospital because my heart was beating fast and feeling like it was wobbling and would not slow down. I drank 4 beers, puked them back up......I waited 8 hours.
The main artery to the back of the heart was 99% plugged, the main artery to the front of the heart is 40% plugged. Plugged with plaque, too many ribeye steaks and butter.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:43 PM   #1144
Senior Cook
 
FluffyAngel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SC
Posts: 428
Patty, you & Princess are scaring me. Especially you Princess. I never take my body pains very serious if at work because I am there for the residents. If I have a questionable pain that I am unsure of I go to the bathroom and wash my face and take some slow deep breaths and talk myself out of it. I have the occasional but rare panic attack. I do wonder after each episode when the day might come that anxiety is not the case, & will I know the difference?

Today for breakfast I had a new to me cheese a friend picked out for me at Trader Joe's. Stilton with Apricots on gorgonzola crackers, and some cocoa pebbles because I've been craving them like a pregnant woman.
__________________
Cooking = Loving in SC
FluffyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #1145
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Apparently I was born with Aortic Stenosis that got worse over the years. And the fact that I was in the hospital it was discovered. I feel like the heart attack possibly saved my life. My PA was only treating the symptoms.
My son who is a PA draws his treatment of female heart patients in the ER from me. He has even taught some of the young residents the difference between male and female heart attack patients. I had three heart attacks last year. In turn I have given information to new paramedics the same information that my son learned from me. Male and female patients have different symptoms. My first symptoms start at the back of either arm. Now when I feel even the slightest twinge in that area, I reach for the liquid nitro. Then I sit still and take some very deep breaths. Very rarely do I have to go for a second hit with the spray. If I do, then I take an uncoated aspirin with the spray. That does the trick. It might be just angina, but I don't want another heart attack. And if I can avoid it, then I do. My son is my medical proxy So when I go to the ER, they have to call him immediately. He has the sense to ask what my symptoms were that brought me there in the first place. That's how he learned the difference between male and female heart patients. Something he didn't learn in med school.

BTW, ask your doctor for a prescription of the liquid nitro. It acts faster than the pils. I will never use the pills again. I get relief from the pain in just a couple of seconds. With the pills, not until the pill has disolved. Even the paramedics in the ambulance use it now all the time. Just one quick spray under the tongue does the trick.

I have never considered myself a person that gets stressful. But this past year things are beginning to get to me. Mainly family members. So I put my acting skills to work. When they start trying to lay the guilt trip on me, or give me a sob story, I just reach for my spray and they shut up.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #1146
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyAngel View Post
Patty, you & Princess are scaring me. Especially you Princess. I never take my body pains very serious if at work because I am there for the residents. If I have a questionable pain that I am unsure of I go to the bathroom and wash my face and take some slow deep breaths and talk myself out of it. I have the occasional but rare panic attack. I do wonder after each episode when the day might come that anxiety is not the case, & will I know the difference?

Today for breakfast I had a new to me cheese a friend picked out for me at Trader Joe's. Stilton with Apricots on gorgonzola crackers, and some cocoa pebbles because I've been craving them like a pregnant woman.
Trust me, it doesn't go away with a few deep breaths. Patty had symptoms that I didn't. That said, I did have a panic attack that put me in the hospital with another heart cath...it was different from my heart attack, but very convincing. Now I'm a cardiac patient AND a hypochondriac!

I changed up my breakfast this morning, had a high protein chocolate Boost instead of my oatmeal.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:04 PM   #1147
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Trust me, it doesn't go away with a few deep breaths. Patty had symptoms that I didn't. That said, I did have a panic attack that put me in the hospital with another heart cath...it was different from my heart attack, but very convincing. Now I'm a cardiac patient AND a hypochondriac!

I changed up my breakfast this morning, had a high protein chocolate Boost instead of my oatmeal.
Today I had a Banana, Blueberry Muffin and Shredded Wheat in Washington Hospital Center(again).
When I went to go to bed early Friday morning my heart started pounding and feeling like it was flip flopping. That has happen before but only for a few beats and then when I had my heart attack. I did not have any other symptoms. I called my SIL paramedic and she checked me out and told me I need to go to the hospital. They tried 3 or 4 different meds. to get it to slow down with no results. I had to be shocked. Then they transfered me to WHC for Electrophysiology Study. They could not replicate the origional problem(over200 beats per minute), but they did Cartheter Ablation on some cells or pathway, which one I am not sure. Changed my meds. Back on Diltiazem. NO more GRAPE FRUIT.
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #1148
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1 View Post
Today I had a Banana, Blueberry Muffin and Shredded Wheat in Washington Hospital Center(again).
When I went to go to bed early Friday morning my heart started pounding and feeling like it was flip flopping. That has happen before but only for a few beats and then when I had my heart attack. I did not have any other symptoms. I called my SIL paramedic and she checked me out and told me I need to go to the hospital. They tried 3 or 4 different meds. to get it to slow down with no results. I had to be shocked. Then they transfered me to WHC for Electrophysiology Study. They could not replicate the origional problem(over200 beats per minute), but they did Cartheter Ablation on some cells or pathway, which one I am not sure. Changed my meds. Back on Diltiazem. NO more GRAPE FRUIT.
So sorry, Patty! But this time you called for help sooner, thank goodness. Hey, you got a little vacation with some grapefruit!

Take it easy.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #1149
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
So sorry, Patty! But this time you called for help sooner, thank goodness. Hey, you got a little vacation with some grapefruit!

Take it easy.

I still have fresh grapefruit and 1/2 bottles of pink grapefruit in the fridge.
__________________
PattY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #1150
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattY1

Today I had a Banana, Blueberry Muffin and Shredded Wheat in Washington Hospital Center(again).
When I went to go to bed early Friday morning my heart started pounding and feeling like it was flip flopping. That has happen before but only for a few beats and then when I had my heart attack. I did not have any other symptoms. I called my SIL paramedic and she checked me out and told me I need to go to the hospital. They tried 3 or 4 different meds. to get it to slow down with no results. I had to be shocked. Then they transfered me to WHC for Electrophysiology Study. They could not replicate the origional problem(over200 beats per minute), but they did Cartheter Ablation on some cells or pathway, which one I am not sure. Changed my meds. Back on Diltiazem. NO more GRAPE FRUIT.
Oh no, Patty! Glad you got there on time and are OK, are you home now?
__________________

__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.