"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #1251
Executive Chef

Just Plain Bill, Buon Giorno,

Lovely breads ...
Thanks for posting photos.

Have a wonderful Sunday.
Margi.

Old 06-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #1252
Chef Extraordinaire

Today I made sort of a roasted hash. I chopped up some red and green bell peppers, onions, potatoes and Spam, sprinkled them with Penzey's Mural of Flavor seasoning, evoo, S&P, and roasted them at 450* for about 20 minutes, stirring once. Served with grapes and diced cantaloupe.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #1253
Chef Extraordinaire

Since I'm trying to eat more of my calories in the a.m. than evening, today's breakfast was once again 2 poached eggs, the leftover cracked wheat, and a tossed salad with tomato, beet, garden lettuce, EVOO and fresh lemon juice. Beverage, 6 oz. of 2% milk.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #1254
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Since I'm trying to eat more of my calories in the a.m. than evening, today's breakfast was once again 2 poached eggs, the leftover cracked wheat, and a tossed salad with tomato, beet, garden lettuce, EVOO and fresh lemon juice. Beverage, 6 oz. of 2% milk.
Supposedly, the body wakes up HUNGRY and if you feed it protein, fat, and carbs in the a.m. (a hearty breakfast), you will be less hungry throughout the day. Some studies showed you'd eat 250 cal less/day if you loaded up in the a.m. instead of the p.m. I'm testing this for 30 days. If true, I should be wearing my "one size smaller/skinny" jeans by the end of July. If not, those jeans go back in the donation box to send off to the Goodwill. Day 2 and all I've wanted 2 evenings in a row is a salad and I've been full. Mind you, it is also beastly hot here.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #1255
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Supposedly, the body wakes up HUNGRY and if you feed it protein, fat, and carbs in the a.m. (a hearty breakfast), you will be less hungry throughout the day. Some studies showed you'd eat 250 cal less/day if you loaded up in the a.m. instead of the p.m. I'm testing this for 30 days. If true, I should be wearing my "one size smaller/skinny" jeans by the end of July. If not, those jeans go back in the donation box to send off to the Goodwill. Day 2 and all I've wanted 2 evenings in a row is a salad and I've been full. Mind you, it is also beastly hot here.
Shrek has been eating three meals a day (he's scared to have the same problem again) since he got to the facility. He is now 6 pounds lower than he was before he got sick AND he's not hungry. I know I'm gaining out of stress and anxiety.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:54 AM   #1256
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Shrek has been eating three meals a day (he's scared to have the same problem again) since he got to the facility. He is now 6 pounds lower than he was before he got sick AND he's not hungry. I know I'm gaining out of stress and anxiety.
I used to skip breakfast--had too much to do, wasn't hungry. Now I make sure I eat breakfast, have something for lunch, and something in the evening. Being alone more days than not, I tend to go with something light in the evening or leftovers from my weekend cooking blitz. I have to say, by loading up in the morning, I haven't been hungry at 4:00 p.m. (the time when I'm often hungry--especially if I didn't eat a balanced lunch). Basically, what I've done is add the carbs. I don't eat toast with my eggs, but am enjoying the addition of grain with breakfast. FWIW, I am within the accepted range of weight for height.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM   #1257
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning I'm having 2 poached eggs, brown rice, steamed kale, and strawberries with balsamic vinegar. I'm just waiting for the rice to finish cooking. I've made enough to stir fry some with fresh pea pods from the garden, swiss chard from the garden, and whatever else I fancy before I leave for the airport. Lunch will probably be more strawberries and some cottage cheese.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #1258
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
This morning I'm having 2 poached eggs, brown rice, steamed kale, and strawberries with balsamic vinegar. I'm just waiting for the rice to finish cooking. I've made enough to stir fry some with fresh pea pods from the garden, swiss chard from the garden, and whatever else I fancy before I leave for the airport. Lunch will probably be more strawberries and some cottage cheese.
I added some pea pods to the kale. And a small glass of milk. And that's how I loaded up for today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CWS_breakfast_poached 001.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	13951  
Old 06-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #1259
Chef Extraordinaire

Reeses puff's cereal with milk & 1/2 toaster strudel.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #1260
Executive Chef

Quote:
I added some pea pods to the kale. And a small glass of milk. And that's how I loaded up for today.

that looks delicious, cws. i so miss having a garden....

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt