"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #1301
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Oh, I love aebelskiver! Reminds me of a trip to Solvang CA years ago, we had them with lingonberry jam.

CWS, your breakfast looks very filling and delicious. Those eggs look absolutely, perfectly poached.
Thanks, Cheryl. I timed how long it took (mind you--the rice was leftover from yesterday), it was under 10 minutes. I cheat on poaching the eggs--I did the pan method, the pan with the inset method, and decided I like using the microwave egg poacher best. And, I tried on my "skinny jeans" tonight--they fit, not loose, but they zip up easily. I don't have a scale--at least not one big enough to weigh me--I don't believe in them. I didn't do this "change when I eat most of my calories" to lose weight, I did it because it made sense re: how the body works. I have more energy, sleep better, and am not hungry between meals, I'm barely hungry in the evening. And I LOVE lingonberries--they grow in NFLD and a friend always brings some back for me.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #1302
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
I could really go for that if I had a Virgin Mary with which to wash it down.
Why not? Once tomato season starts, I will be juicing tomatoes and making "Virgin Marys" to accompany breakfast--my favorite thing to drink during tomato season.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:03 PM   #1303
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Thanks, Cheryl. I timed how long it took (mind you--the rice was leftover from yesterday), it was under 10 minutes. I cheat on poaching the eggs--I did the pan method, the pan with the inset method, and decided I like using the microwave egg poacher best. And, I tried on my "skinny jeans" tonight--they fit, not loose, but they zip up easily. I don't have a scale--at least not one big enough to weigh me--I don't believe in them. I didn't do this "change when I eat most of my calories" to lose weight, I did it because it made sense re: how the body works. I have more energy, sleep better, and am not hungry between meals, I'm barely hungry in the evening. And I LOVE lingonberries--they grow in NFLD and a friend always brings some back for me.
Congrats on the results of your diet plan, CWS. I don't much believe in what the numbers on a scale mean either, necessarily. It sounds like you've worked out the ideal plan that works best for you. When my mom was alive and I was caring for her (she passed last year) she was so frail and tiny that anything she would eat, at any time, was a good thing. It took me a while to get out of that habit myself and limit my evening meals to something light and healthy.

I had one of those egg poaching pans and gave it away a couple of years ago, might need to buy one again. I've tried poaching eggs in water using the 'swirl' method and messed them up, so gave up on that. lol.

Would love to have someone bring me fresh lingonberries!
Old 06-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #1304
Senior Cook

Another easy way to poach eggs is using plastic wrap. That's how I do it when I want one.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #1305
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace
Another easy way to poach eggs is using plastic wrap. That's how I do it when I want one.
Huh? Please do tell.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #1306
Senior Cook

I use a muffin pan line one muffin cup with a large piece of plastic. I tsp of water and one egg. Roll another piece of plastic up to tie it off. A small pan with 1\2 inch of water . I never turn water past lowest setting. Before tying I try and remove the air. Place plastic wrapped egg gently in pan.
Takes a while but I enjoy the way it comes out.
I am sure googling it will come up with a better description .
Old 06-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #1307
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace
I use a muffin pan line one muffin cup with a large piece of plastic. I tsp of water and one egg. Roll another piece of plastic up to tie it off. A small pan with 1\2 inch of water . I never turn water past lowest setting. Before tying I try and remove the air. Place plastic wrapped egg gently in pan.
Takes a while but I enjoy the way it comes out.
I am sure googling it will come up with a better description .
Thanks!
Old 06-28-2012, 12:45 AM   #1308
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning I had Honey and Almond All Bran, love that stuff
Old 06-28-2012, 07:39 AM   #1309
Chef Extraordinaire

I guess I haven't motivated anyone to try the "load it up" in the morning approach. En toute cas, today's breakfast is 2 eggs over steamed swiss chard, bulghar wheat with a bit of mint and lime (mint chopped fine, fresh lime juice), pepper, BC sweet cherries, and a glass of water with cider vinegar (one of my favorites when it is hot outside).
Old 06-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #1310
Senior Cook

Cider vinegar added to the water? Or by itself? I've never thought of drinking straight up. Please explain.

I do most of my big meals as my breakfast as well. But for everyone else its dinner because I work nights.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt