"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #1311
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Cider vinegar added to the water? Or by itself? I've never thought of drinking straight up. Please explain.

I do most of my big meals as my breakfast as well. But for everyone else its dinner because I work nights.
In a 16-oz. glass, I add about 1 oz. cider vinegar, preferably with mother, but sometimes not. I also do the same re: balsamic or red or white wine vinegar. When weeding the gardens or mowing (3.5 acres) I take a 2-l bottle with vinegar added out with me. When I have Seltzer (it isn't available in Canada--I have to buy it in the States), I do the same. Really nice with red wine vinegar or balsamic.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:18 AM   #1312
Senior Cook

I would love your breakfasts CWS....but my DH likes sweets in the morning, so this morning was whole grains cereal with toasted nuts, raisins, milk.

It never occurs to me to eat much differently from him.....but hey, I don't see why not?!!! We've been married 32 years, he ain't gonna complain now, is he?

Lunch will be our big meal of the day; I made turkey chili last evening, so will serve that up with steamed broccoli and rice. Fruit salad for dessert (there always has to be dessert at my hubby's table). He stays slim, I get fat for both of us.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #1313
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by leasingthisspace View Post
Cider vinegar added to the water? Or by itself? I've never thought of drinking straight up. Please explain.

I do most of my big meals as my breakfast as well. But for everyone else its dinner because I work nights.
It is my take on Switchel.

Pure and Strange as What I See: Switchel

I leave out the sweetener.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 AM   #1314
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
I would love your breakfasts CWS....but my DH likes sweets in the morning, so this morning was whole grains cereal with toasted nuts, raisins, milk.

It never occurs to me to eat much differently from him.....but hey, I don't see why not?!!!
Soma--try it for a few days...your hubby can still have his sweets, just sub out his sweets for grains, have fresh fruit instead of the sweet option and pay attention to when you start to get hungry (make of a note of when you are hungry today as a baseline). I kid you not, adding the grains and greens to breakfast has made a huge difference re: when I get hungry and cravings for snacking during the day.

I did this to increase my energy level--I have so much more energy and am sleeping so much better. I worked nights and sleeping past 3:00 a.m. was a problem. Now I have to set my alarm or else I sleep until 8:30-9:00 a.m.!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:32 AM   #1315
Chef Extraordinaire

BTW, cider vinegar is a natural appetite suppressor--you're supposed to drink it 30 minutes before eating, but I drink water with vinegar throughout the day, especially during the summer when it is hot outside=-my version of iced tea!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #1316
Chef Extraordinaire

i had a tuna melt using provolone on whole grain , high fiber bread . also had a few chips.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #1317
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
BTW, cider vinegar is a natural appetite suppressor--you're supposed to drink it 30 minutes before eating, but I drink water with vinegar throughout the day, especially during the summer when it is hot outside=-my version of iced tea!
Thanks I will have to try it.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1318
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322
I guess I haven't motivated anyone to try the "load it up" in the morning approach. En toute cas, today's breakfast is 2 eggs over steamed swiss chard, bulghar wheat with a bit of mint and lime (mint chopped fine, fresh lime juice), pepper, BC sweet cherries, and a glass of water with cider vinegar (one of my favorites when it is hot outside).
I'm just not a morning eater. The most I can get down is a glass of skim milk, with some low sodium V-8 later.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #1319
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning we had a ham and cheese croissant
Old 06-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #1320
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I'm just not a morning eater. The most I can get down is a glass of skim milk, with some low sodium V-8 later.
I had to teach myself to eat in the morning...not easy. I actually felt nauseous even thinking about food until I'd been awake for a few hours. But, my weight loss didn't start until I started eating breakfast.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt