"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 09-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #1741
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ransom View Post
Vegemite and cheese on toast!
Good morning Queen and welcome to DC.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:44 PM   #1742
Chef Extraordinaire

Some muesli this morning

Old 09-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #1743
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie

No offense intended, but I've heard that Vegemite has a, shall we say, very different taste. Like awful. I have never had any myself. Can you describe it in terms of a similar flavor?
It's different! But practically religion in Australia. It has a very strong savoury/salty taste, and it's really like nothing I can describe. In England, they eat marmite, which is similar and not as strong in flavour. I use the bits in the empty jar for cooking to add extra flavour. I just put some boiling water in the jar and add to the slow cooker or make gravy with it. It's great also if you are suffering mouth ulcers, because of the high vitamin B content : )
Old 09-11-2012, 05:08 AM   #1744
Chef Extraordinaire

2 poached eggs over steamed swiss chard, barley, and a BIG glass of freshly "squeezed" tomato juice (about 6 tomatoes) with a dash or two of Tabasco.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:28 AM   #1745
Chef Extraordinaire

Yum, sounds lovely CWS
Old 09-11-2012, 07:13 AM   #1746
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Ransom View Post
It's different! But practically religion in Australia. It has a very strong savoury/salty taste, and it's really like nothing I can describe. In England, they eat marmite, which is similar and not as strong in flavour. I use the bits in the empty jar for cooking to add extra flavour. I just put some boiling water in the jar and add to the slow cooker or make gravy with it. It's great also if you are suffering mouth ulcers, because of the high vitamin B content : )
Welcome to DC, QR. Another question -- does vegemite come from plants or is it an animal, like beef or mutton, product? And while I'm being nosy, what kind of cheese goes with such a strong flavor? And do you melt the cheese? Yesterday morning I had a slice of Swiss on a piece of sourdough bread, put in the toaster oven until melted. I'll bet that would be much too bland to suit you.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #1747
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Welcome to DC, QR. Another question -- does vegemite come from plants or is it an animal, like beef or mutton, product? And while I'm being nosy, what kind of cheese goes with such a strong flavor? And do you melt the cheese? Yesterday morning I had a slice of Swiss on a piece of sourdough bread, put in the toaster oven until melted. I'll bet that would be much too bland to suit you.
Vegemite has a strong yeast flavor, like Brewer's Yeast on steroids. I love the stuff, RQ is right on when she says it makes a good gravy. I have a friend in Australia who sends me a 1 pound jar every year for Christmas.

I like to spread a thin layer on the bottom crust of quiche, all the seasoning it needs.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #1748
Chef Extraordinaire

Frosted wal mart donut & coffee.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #1749
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie

Thanks tinlizzie! I just use the processed sandwich sliced cheese, I'm not sure what you guys call it in the US, but my friends and I refer to it as "plastic cheese" lol. I have it with whatever I can find though, mainly tasty cheese or cheddar. I prefer not to melt the cheese myself, only because I find the flavour is way to strong for me.
You definitely love it or hate it though, no in betweens. I love it, and my 17 month old son loves it, my brother on the other hand HATES it and our mum used to give him a teaspoon of it as punishment.
It's made from yeast extract, originally from the waste from breweries lol
Old 09-11-2012, 09:25 PM   #1750
Assistant Cook

Crepes with Nutella and orange zest. Mmmm.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt