"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 06-06-2011, 11:08 AM   #171
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Do you pre-cook the bacon or buy it that way? How does it turn out in the microwave? Is the bacon crispy or soft?
If I can get a good price on pre-cooked bacon I will buy it (anything more than 10 a slice is too much), but I've also been known to buy two or three pounds of bacon, lay it out on racks on cookie sheets, bake it in the oven, then once it's cooled, separate it on squares of waxed paper, put it in a zippered freezer bag, and freeze it. Any time I want bacon for breakfast, a BLT or a bacon cheeseburger, I just pull out the required slices and nuke them for about 45 seconds to a minute. They come out of the microwave the same way they went into the freezer bag; either crispy or soggy, however you cooked them originally.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #172
Executive Chef

Most mornings I have cold cereal with fresh berries, toast and Ovaltine, but on gloomy wet days like today I will make bacon, eggs, hash browns and toast, or a bagel with cream cheese and lox, or maybe a breakfast sandwich of either bacon or sausage, egg and cheese on an Oroweat sandwich thins. I even bought a frying pan that is the perfect size for just one egg. I also have one that's the perfect size for two eggs to fit on a small tortilla.

Sundays I will always make brunch, which includes a fruit, berry, or green salad, a special breakfast item such as my own recipe Huevos Rancheros Suprema (which includes chorizo and ranchera beans) with Mexican rice, or a Monte Cristo with powdered sugar and strawberry preserves, or a real Italian style fritatta with diced potatoes, Italian sausage, different colour bell peppers, maybe some pepperoncini, and some type of Italian cheese. Of course, champagne cocktails such as mimosas or bellinis are always included. Cost Plus World Market sells a variety of champagne, Cava, Prosecco, Asti, etc. in single serving bottles for around $3.50 a bottle that are perfect for the task, or you can buy a four pack of single serving bottles of Cooks champange in the supermarket for around 8 bucks.

Old 06-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #173
Executive Chef

Just a Whey Smoothie with banana and strawberries (and cocoa), after a nice long walk with the dogs. I am trying to drop the winter pounds!
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #174
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Stubbs
Im guess I already have lost pounds. For everyone keeps telling me how small I am. Bit been walking with kids at least twice a week. I cook with splenda and drink more juice and vitamin water than soda. :)
Old 06-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #175
Executive Chef

Stubbs, I stayed more trim when I had the kids home to chase too. I don't get the grandkids often enough to keep the weight off! And...for some reason turning 50 packed on the pounds for me...go figure!
Old 06-06-2011, 01:13 PM   #176
Senior Cook

Ya
Old 06-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #177
Chef Extraordinaire

had half of large bagel and whipped cream cheese.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:19 PM   #178
Senior Cook

I have some cheered biscuits left frm dinner. In morning think im going to make fried eggs & Bacon to make breakfast sandwhich
Old 06-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #179
Chef Extraordinaire

An orange, a package of nature valley granola bars & a raspberry greek yogurt=360 calories.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:35 PM   #180
Cook

My new favorite breakfast

Baked oatmeal w/raisins, nuts or coconut, brown sugar,butter,milk. Will never fix oatmeal any other way again! Love the texture of the baked stuff and it takes 20 min in the toaster oven and makes 4 servings.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt