"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu

Old 10-22-2012, 08:48 PM   #2041
Chef Extraordinaire

Yummy...everyone is having banana bread, I am craving some now

Old 10-23-2012, 02:22 AM   #2042
Master Chef

Haven't had breakfast yet but I'm thinking of having some anchovy spread on toast.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 AM   #2043
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Haven't had breakfast yet but I'm thinking of having some anchovy spread on toast.

man, snippers, you just read my mind!--a nice oily anchovy spread, or a garlicky olive tapenade, would exactly hit the spot right about now....
Old 10-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #2044
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
man, snippers, you just read my mind!--a nice oily anchovy spread, or a garlicky olive tapenade, would exactly hit the spot right about now....
That's my mind made up then, Anchovy toast here I come

You've just named my favourite pizza topping! Anchovies, garlic and olives

Old 10-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #2045
Master Chef

Breakfast is an eternal issue for me. I've been very overweight, very underweight, and am now what I consider a good weight (I've gained a half in in height and lost 30 lbs in the past year or two). But breakfast still stymies me. I'm knowledgeable about nutrition and all that stuff, but simply am not all that hungry, and really don't like most of the breakfast staples. Most of my life I ate things like soup or warmed up leftovers from the night before. But the exercises I do now really don't take to much more than the lightest of fare (seriously, Pilates at 9 a.m., water exercises at 8:30 a.m.? You really don't want to encourage the digestive system). By the time I get home, I'm actually ready for lunch, which is fine. But what to eat before I go out is a bit of a problem. Before I was able to get back out and about, I was religious about having some yogurt, granola and fruit. I occasionally buy nutrition bars, but I swear, they all taste like candy bars and I just don't like the excessive sweetness. So I plod along. My goal is to NOT re-gain the weight I lost due to illness/stress. And I know I need to eat before I go to my workouts/physical therapy. So I'm still looking for the right early breakfast.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #2046
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Breakfast is an eternal issue for me. I've been very overweight, very underweight, and am now what I consider a good weight (I've gained a half in in height and lost 30 lbs in the past year or two). But breakfast still stymies me. I'm knowledgeable about nutrition and all that stuff, but simply am not all that hungry, and really don't like most of the breakfast staples. Most of my life I ate things like soup or warmed up leftovers from the night before. But the exercises I do now really don't take to much more than the lightest of fare (seriously, Pilates at 9 a.m., water exercises at 8:30 a.m.? You really don't want to encourage the digestive system). By the time I get home, I'm actually ready for lunch, which is fine. But what to eat before I go out is a bit of a problem. Before I was able to get back out and about, I was religious about having some yogurt, granola and fruit. I occasionally buy nutrition bars, but I swear, they all taste like candy bars and I just don't like the excessive sweetness. So I plod along. My goal is to NOT re-gain the weight I lost due to illness/stress. And I know I need to eat before I go to my workouts/physical therapy. So I'm still looking for the right early breakfast.
I can relate to this, I never used to eat breakfast but I know I should.
At first it started because I'm a bit of a foodaholic if I start eating in the morning. If I eat breakfast then I just can't stop eating at all. When I don't eat breakfast I don't get hungry during the day.
I don't like sweet breakfasts and eating a fry up every day is a bad idea.
I started eating small things in the morning about 2 years ago to get myself into eating breakfast. Either a boiled egg (I always keep a few in the fridge for the kids as a snack), a rice cake with cottage cheese or hummus, plain yogurt with seeds (pumpkin, sesame, linseed and sunflower seeds) or anchovy toast.
Now I'm so used to it, it's become a habbit.

Old 10-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #2047
Chef Extraordinaire

Anchovy toast sounds good
Old 10-23-2012, 07:38 AM   #2048
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys could start a lottery re: which grain I eat with my poached eggs, Kale/Swiss Chard. Today it is .... WILD RICE. And the winner is ....
Old 10-23-2012, 04:00 PM   #2049
Chef Extraordinaire

This morning some toasted muesli
Old 10-23-2012, 05:17 PM   #2050
Certified Pretend Chef

Monday I baked my first batch of onion bagels since shoulder surgery.

So this morning I had an onion bagel with cream cheese.

Tags
baked goods, breakfast, eggs, oats, sausage, yogurt