What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ditto! I LOVE grapefruits, but no dice. :(

I was totally oblivious to the grapefruit connection for diabetics until I came here. My original PCP never, ever mentioned it to me. The first time I heard it here, I asked my dietician about it. She was really surprised that I had never heard about it. So she explained it in detail to me. I love grapefruit, but it has been years since I had one or even juice. I just never think of it.

This forum has been a great education for me. Do I get a diploma when I graduate? :angel:

My PCP has told me that I can have grapefruit juice or preferably the grapefruit itself as part of a meal. He did advise me that large quantities of grapefruit, in any form, was not a good idea while taking Simvastatin. He also advised that large quantities of any fruit juice would cause a spike in blood sugar. I limit myself to a serving as part of a traditional breakfast every now and then. All things in moderation! Oh how I've come to hate moderation! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This morning was crisp bacon, scrambled eggs and a side of sauteed mushrooms.

I had more of a brunch today. Two hot dogs in a buttered toasted bun with sauerkraut. Boston Baked Beans on the side. I ate all of it. That certainly surprised me. :angel:

I am on a high powered statin and a fibrate for my cholesterol, the combo of both gives me muscle pain, the addition of grapefruit juice can: From the FDA:

if you drink a lot of grapefruit juice while taking certain statin drugs to lower cholesterol, too much of the drug may stay in your body, increasing your risk for liver damage and muscle breakdown that can lead to kidney failure.

Drinking grapefruit juice several hours before or several hours after you take your medicine may still be dangerous, says Huang, so it’s best to avoid or limit consuming grapefruit juice or fresh grapefruit when taking certain drugs.

Hence my sacrifice.

I was totally oblivious to the grapefruit connection for diabetics until I came here. My original PCP never, ever mentioned it to me. The first time I heard it here, I asked my dietician about it. She was really surprised that I had never heard about it. So she explained it in detail to me. I love grapefruit, but it has been years since I had one or even juice. I just never think of it.

This forum has been a great education for me. Do I get a diploma when I graduate? :angel:

My restriction has nothing to do with diabetes, but some of the longer term blood/autoimmune meds I have to be on, post treatment. As part of the joy of "modern medicine", things can pool in the back of my retina and cause blindness. YAY!

Being that the first rounds of meds caused avascular necrosis, had to get both hips replaced, and that was a side effect that wasn't ever mentioned to me, Imma stay away from my beloved citrus, now that I've been warned.

2000 years, and they still call it a "practice".

All that said, I still miss a half grapefruit, a little sugar, and a segmenting spoon. it was part of breakfast for over 20 years, it's the little things you take for granted.

I DO have a new, re-found love for V8 though!

A fried egg on toast, 2 slices of bacon, cut up cantaloupe and a couple plums, English Breakfast tea and grapefruit juice.

I tried a carton of bean soup (Love Life)...awful! Far too much sugar in it. Tried to offset it with tomato puree, tamari, paprika and chilli powder...just about bearable but could only eat half of it. :ermm:

Addie, what is the connection between grapfruit and diabetes? I have never heard that, other than the fact that fruit juices are bad for diabetics.

I love grapefruit. I have always heard that you should not combine grapefruit with a statin. When I worked at the pharmacy, I went into the drug facts for statins on the computer and it said not to drink "large amounts of grapefruit juice (a qt or more) when taking statins." I used to buy those little single serve cups of grapefruit and eat them with my breakfast. I asked one of the pharmacists about it and he told me in no uncertain terms to not drink ANY grapefruit juice when taking statins. Then I asked my cardiologist about it and he told me go ahead and eat the grapefruit in limited amounts. I sometimes buy 1 of those little individual cups and eat 1 grapefruit section with my breakfast each day, and that little cup lasts me most of the week. I am more inclined to believe the drug facts for the med which says to avoid large quantities, but then, that's what I want to believe.

There are many medications that are affected by grapefruit. Warfarin and most commonly rx'd statins are just two of them.

"Drugs that interact with grapefruit are taken by mouth. The degree of the grapefruit effect can vary. With some drugs, just one serving of grapefruit can make it seem like a person is taking multiple doses of the drug.

This interaction can occur even if grapefruit is eaten many hours before taking the medication. For example, simvastatin, when taken with about a 7-ounce glass of grapefruit juice once a day for three days, produced a 330% greater concentration of the drug compared to taking it with water. This can cause life-threatening muscle damage called rhabdomyolysis."

But adverse reactions vary from patient to patient according to reports.

Grapefruit With Some Medications: Risky Business

I didn't have grapefruit juice for breakfast. I did have a couple of cups of coffee and a sleeve of mini chocolate frosted donuts. Mmmmmmm!

I too love grapefruit. I always would sprinkle some sugar on it. One day I went into the lunchroom at work and a coworker was sprinkling on some salt. I told her I had never seen that before and she said, if you have never tried it don't knock it. Well, I tried it and I did like it. Now I can't eat it any other way.:yum:

Addie, what is the connection between grapfruit and diabetes? I have never heard that, other than the fact that fruit juices are bad for diabetics.

I love grapefruit. I have always heard that you should not combine grapefruit with a statin. When I worked at the pharmacy, I went into the drug facts for statins on the computer and it said not to drink "large amounts of grapefruit juice (a qt or more) when taking statins." I used to buy those little single serve cups of grapefruit and eat them with my breakfast. I asked one of the pharmacists about it and he told me in no uncertain terms to not drink ANY grapefruit juice when taking statins. Then I asked my cardiologist about it and he told me go ahead and eat the grapefruit in limited amounts. I sometimes buy 1 of those little individual cups and eat 1 grapefruit section with my breakfast each day, and that little cup lasts me most of the week. I am more inclined to believe the drug facts for the med which says to avoid large quantities, but then, that's what I want to believe.

Just because it can have for some a sour taste, it still contains natural sugars. It is after all citrus just like an orange is. They did a glucose test on me whereby I had to drink down 8 ounces of citrus fruit juice as fast as I could. It was grapefruit juice. With no sugar added. They then immediately drew blood and also did a finger prick. My sugar levels shot up to almost 300. I had to have an insulin shot immediately. Because I control my diabetes now by diet alone and without medication, no citrus for me, and limited amounts of any other fruit other than bananas in a 24 hour period. Also I am on 40 mg of statins a day. Every since they took me off the meds for diabetes, I have not had one incident of extremely low sugar. They stay in a range of what is normal for me. Considering the crazy hours I keep and my eating schedule of eating only when I feel like it. I don't get hunger pains and can easily go without eating for days. Now doing that will cause my sugar levels to go too low. So if I didn't eat at all the day before, I will make a concerted effort to eat a little something today. :angel:

I too love grapefruit. I always would sprinkle some sugar on it. One day I went into the lunchroom at work and a coworker was sprinkling on some salt. I told her I had never seen that before and she said, if you have never tried it don't knock it. Well, I tried it and I did like it. Now I can't eat it any other way.:yum:

Before I started a med that precludes eating grapefruit that was my favorite way of eating it also. My family (way back then) put salt on our watermelons----other melons also. I don't that as much now unless the melon isn't sweet.

I like salt on apples; black pepper on melons (and strawberries). I'll have to try it on grapefruit...I am not on anything that prohibits me from enjoying grapefruit. I know that is a fruit my parents really miss eating. My mom is on wafrarin and my dad on another med that prohibits grapefruit. My favorite way to "eat" grapefruit is freshly squeezed juice. I sometimes do 1/2 orange and 1/2 grapefruit juice.

Back
Top Bottom