What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My ultimate comfort food: cold cereal with ice-cold non-fat milk. I've been eating that for my entire life. Life long habits never die.

Last edited by a moderator:
My ultimate comfort food: cold cereal with ice-cold non-fat milk. I've been eating that for my entire life. Life long habits never die.
Ah comfort foods that go back to our younger days! ;)

Bet it wasn't non fat milk back then though was it?

When I am feeling needy/deprived, I make the simple "chicken" soup that mum used to give us....just chicken stock with some tiny pasta cooked out in it. (I add herbs and tomato puree though). Hits the spot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Two poached eggs on a bed of steamed Swiss Chard, a side of quinoa, and a BIG glass of beet-carrot-celery-cucumber-beet greens-apple juice. Got almost all my daily servings of veggies and fruit before 8:00 a.m.

39817-albums960-picture5977.jpg

Fried halibut burrito w/fresh salsa and cheese.

:ohmy: That's dinner!!!

A mountain of steamed Swiss chard, beet greens, green beans, and kale topped with 2 poached eggs, a side Veggie burger patty seasoned to be sausage and another side of raw beets, grated cucumber, carrot, celery, tomato (all from the garden) dressed with EVOO, freshly squeezed lemon juice, S&P, and Israeli cous-cous tossed in with the steamed greens. Delish! Don't know why s/one said what we eat is not breakfast...there is egg and sausage in mine--I just don't the toast thing.

Today's breakfast was a bit lighter--Steamed kale topped with two poached eggs, a sliced cucumber, and a side of grits and an ice decaf coffee (something I rarely drink).

I still like my eggs-grains-greens for breakfast as my favorite. I hardly ever eat anything sweet since starting this routine over 2 years ago--the morning hit of protein has taken care of that. There is no cereal in my house, and I still haven't used up the 4 lb of sugar I bought last summer to make b&b pickles.

And, I have shrunk four sizes since June 2012. Often, I don't eat anything until late afternoon. Sometimes it is some walnuts, other times, an ounce of cheese. And, since I live alone most of the time, I don't cook an evening meal more than once or twice a week. Right now, evening meal / lunch is a huge salad from the veggies in the garden and the berries on the bushes.

Major fail moment on poaching eggs this morning, so i'm back on scrambled eggs on toast. I added parsley and smoked salmon. I shreded zucchini tonight for tomorrow's butter thou! Hopefully it turns out yum.

Let's talk food!

I finally found my egg coddlers! So coddled eggs, kale and a side of quinoa, a bowl of fresh blueberries, and a glass of beet juice.
I use the other method of coddling eggs, i.e. immersing into a pan of boiling water (having pierced the air end of the egg), simmering for 1 minute then leaving off the heat in the pan for 4 mins.

Result? A lovely soft boiled egg with soft egg white, i.e. not rubbery.

I eat 2 meals a day, so breakfast is brunch (combined with lunch).

I had a restaurant voucher so went to Cafe Rouge (do you have that branch chain in US)? They always do good quality cooking there. I had the confit de canard (duck confit). It came with dauphinoise potatoes and snap/snow peas avec a cherry and port sauce. It was divine! (Have had it several times before). Everything perfectly cooked.

I then went to a nearby bakery (called Paul) where I had the most exquisite apricot tart. Thin and crisp flaky pastry base, superb creme patisserie and a fresh tasting and slightly tart apricot with a glaze. :yum:

I often have brunch as well (we do know what brunch is, but I'm not familiar with that restaurant chain). I'm about to warm up some of the chicken-veggie-pasta with pesto cream sauce left over from dinner last night.

We had french toast made with cinnamon bread.

I have two coupons for Pepperidge Farm Bread. And they are good until September 7th. Use one this month, one in Sept. Of course I have to buy two loafs, but one can go into the freezer. One loaf of Cinnamon and one for Potato or for another specialty bread. :angel:

Still playin' with my Griddler.

Today we had overnight yeast vanilla pancakes, link sausage, real maple syrup, pineapple/banana juice, and coffee. We were sufficiently full.

I'm glad I only made a half recipe of the pancakes. As it was, I ended up with 24 5-inch pancakes. We ate 6 and I've packaged the others for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom