What have you had for breakfast lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had the last of the asparagus and mushrooms in a couple of scrambled eggs. Strawberries on the side, and coffee.

I'm going high fiber, and great, natural, multi-grain flavor here, with no added sugars. 1 cup cold cereal with milk. The 1 cup is made up 1/3 cup of each - spoon sized shredded wheat, grapenuts, and cherios. Add a little cinnamon, and a touch of wild honey.

Sometimes, just sometimes we forget how simple can equal delicious.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm going high fiber, and great, natural, multi-grain flavor here, with no added sugars. 1 cup cold cereal with milk. The 1 cup is made up 1/3 cup of each - spoon sized shredded wheat, grapenuts, and cherios. Add a little cinnamon, and a touch of wild honey.

Sometimes, just sometimes we forget how simple can equal delicious.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My mother used to pour boiling water over two large biscuits of shredded wheat. Drain it off, squeeze off the excess and cover them with sugar. One of my favorite cereals. :angel:

breakfast sammies.jpg

Breakfast sammies
Fried Taylor's Pork Roll
Scrambled eggs
Swiss cheese
all on a buttermilk biscuit

Oh my!!

A deluxe porridge (improvised) made with pinhead oatmeal and oatgerm cooked out in a little water until thick; then dessicated coconut, organic raisins and sunflower seeds stirred in (off the heat). Transferred to a bowl and topped with some molasses sugar. As it starts to melt I add some milk. Interesting combo (flavours and textures).

Grape Nuts with a spoonfull of perfect blueberry freezer jam, and milk, with a couple tbs. of cream mixed in. Yummy, crunchy, and full of fiber. Tastes great, fills teh belly, and I only dirty a cerial bowl and spoon.

Now yesterday, those perfectly cooked soft-boiled eggs, with buttered toast under them, yeah, that was indulgent.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Lognwind fo the North.

Due to the meds for gastric reflux which I have to take a half to one hour before eating in the morning, I frequently forget about breakfast. (Un)fortunately there's a cafe at the stables that does bacon sandwiches, cheese toasties, burgers, etc.

However I'm trying hard to eat healthily and lose weight at the moment so faithful to Slimming World I'm making myself remember to eat breakfast before leaving home. Currently I'm having a high fibre cereal with grated apple or mashed banana (bleuch!) or chopped pineapple, with semi-skimmed milk or sometimes a soft boiled egg with"soldiers" (fingers of toast). It keeps the wolf from the door so I don't eat stupidly at mid-day.

I couldn't face a lot of the breakfasts that you lot eat until lunchtime!

8:30AM here and I'm just finishing my first cup of coffee. :) Fixin' to cut up a cantaloupe and will have half of that with a slice of buttered rye toast.

I made a messy but delicious omelet today, with a filling of leftover fajita chicken and veggies and shredded Monterey Jack cheese; I also sprinkled some Penzeys Southwest Seasoning in the eggs. Grapes and cantaloupe sprinkled with Tajin on the side.

Attachments

• 1461949538408.jpg
    1461949538408.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 170
I made a messy but delicious omelet today, with a filling of leftover fajita chicken and veggies and shredded Monterey Jack cheese; I also sprinkled some Penzeys Southwest Seasoning in the eggs. Grapes and cantaloupe sprinkled with Tajin on the side.

The whole picture is lovely GG, but my mouth is really watering over that Tajin cantaloupe!!

We went to a new place for breakfast yesterday that I had found last Sunday, but then we realized they weren't open on Sundays. Since we were both off yesterday decided to give it a try. One of their specialities is jumbo cinnamon rolls so thought I'd give that a try. OMG, they weren't kidding, over half the size of the dinner plate and literally bathed in cream cheese frosting. It was just very slightly underbaked, totally soft with a gooey but not over-powering cinnamon filling. The frosting had every bit as much sugar beat into it that it could possibly take. I ended up having to scrape some off because there was so much of it and I love frosting, usually don't have enough.

Tiny little place, maybe a dozen tables. Only bad thing about it was wait service was EXTREMELY slow (took her at least 10 minutes to take our order) and the girl was a ditz. Three tables, 1 of which was eating when we walked in and the other had just given their order. She brought 1 of the guys bacon instead of the sausage he had ordered. Then came back and double checked with me that I had ordered a side of sausage. Craig asked for an extra egg for his meal and she forgot it. I didn't ask but my sausage didn't taste like a commercial brand, tasted like homemade sausage, and the patties didn't look commercially made either. It went from a great place to a good place because of the service.

Breakfast, Hawaiian Style

002.JPG

Breakfast the other morning at home
(but not for long! we're leaving the house after the movers finish packing us up next Tuesday and staying at a friend's place while she's away, but I'm going off topic, sorry),
Local-style (Hawaiian) Fried Rice. MMM!
This batch has Turkey Bacon, Turkey Sausage and Ham, along with some Sweet White Onions, Scramble eggs and Green Onions, all leftovers tidbits in the `fridge I just threw together.
Normally I would serve this with a fried egg on top, but they have been bothering both of our tummies of late, so...

My mother used to pour boiling water over two large biscuits of shredded wheat. Drain it off, squeeze off the excess and cover them with sugar. One of my favorite cereals. :angel:

That idea sounds unusual.

This reminds me of an exchange that my sister did with a German girl one summer when they were both still at school. The German girl came to stay with us first and my mother offered her Shredded Wheat for breakfast one morning. The girl tried to decline, but my mum coaxed her to have some by saying, 'Oh, but you'll have to have some' and the poor girl relented. When my sister was staying with the German girl's home, the girl told her family about the awful stuff that my mum had made her eat. My mum was mortified when she heard.

Gillian

That idea sounds unusual.

This reminds me of an exchange that my sister did with a German girl one summer when they were both still at school. The German girl came to stay with us first and my mother offered her Shredded Wheat for breakfast one morning. The girl tried to decline, but my mum coaxed her to have some by saying, 'Oh, but you'll have to have some' and the poor girl relented. When my sister was staying with the German girl's home, the girl told her family about the awful stuff that my mum had made her eat. My mum was mortified when she heard.

Gillian

Fortunately for my kids, I never tried to force my kids to eat foods that they didn't like. My youngest daughter loved pea soup. But hated peas. So I would put one pea in the middle of her mashed potatoes and the second pea where she could see it. I always told her she didn't have to eat the one she saw. And I never mentioned the one in her potatoes. It was years before I told her the truth. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom